Question: Do Drain Cleaners Harm Pipes? (and I know what

I tend to be a little conservative in these things so I try to avoid them and use a good plunger. Also, does your waste empty into a cesspool as opposed to city water. If the latter, I wouldn't be as concerned. However, if you have a cesspool, you do want to be cautious as to what you put down there. The last thing you need is your field failing. It's happened to me and it's expensive to replace one. Try 20 grand!

they are PVC; so far we've had to do this, in the shower/tub, maybe every 3 months.

may try the baking soda/vinegar thing, too.

Every three months sounds like a lot. You may have something going on further downstream, so to speak.

Exactly.

We've built our housealmost 20 years ago & the only time we've had any backup from the showers or tubs has been when the blockage has been further down in the lines (just because something goes down the drain doesn't mean that it goes out the line, and after a while enough stuff doesn't go out the line to create a real blockage). Somewhere on the outside of your house (or in your yard, if it's an older house), there's a "central entry" for your plumbing (many call it a "clean-out"). You can run a snake all up in there and clean the pipes out good. It'll probably take at least 30 ft or so snake, and you can rent those at equipment rental places (fascinating visits if you have even a bit of a hardware jones...), or you can get a plumber to do it.

Years ago in another house, I once had tree roots grow into and inside the piping running from the house to the street. The weird thing was, everything was seemingly operating fine until one day I guess it just hit a tipping point and ... Blammo! Not pretty.

As a chemist (not a plumber, though), I'd say try vinegar. It's what I am going to use on my own pipes the next time I need to do anything. The combo with baking soda is non-corrosive and should be just as powerful as the oxidizers and other concoctions sold as drain cleaners.

True, but if the blockage is deep into the system, you gotta get it down in there full strength...I'm still thinking that having to clean out a drain every three months is indicative of a bigger blockage further down in the piping, and as such, the snake would probably be bet.

But as a preventative, I'd think that the baking soda/vinegar combo flushed through the whole hose on a monthly basis would be an excellent idea if the household is one which uses the pipes in a way which promotes long-term cloggage (and believe me, most hoouseholds do until the need arises for their first snaking!).

Years ago in another house, I once had tree roots grow into and inside the piping running from the house to the street. The weird thing was, everything was seemingly operating fine until one day I guess it just hit a tipping point and ... Blammo! Not pretty.

Same here w/oak roots clogging the pipe in an area of the property that is both steep and dense with underbrush -- which made it impossible to access with a mini excavator. It was an expensive operation.