Announcers talking about no-hitter during game

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A question after listening John Miller talking ad nauseum about Lilly pitching a possible no-hitter: In baseball, I make no bones about it, I am a traditionalist, and it bugs me to no end to have announcers talking about a no-hitter! I say: let tradition rule the airwaves! What does everyone else think?

I wasn't hearing Jon Miller or the game, but I always thought the tradition was for the team and the coaches to refrain from mentioning no-hitter while the game was in progress, not the TV and radio announcers. I have no problem with that at all. That's just doing the play by play. Even for Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series, the announcers were giving the run down: No runs, no hits, no errors. They would have been remiss to not include that information after each at bat.

Edited by It Should be You

I wasn't hearing Jon Miller or the game, but I always thought the tradition was for the team and the coaches to refrain from mentioning no-hitter while the game was in progress, not the TV and radio announcers. I have no problem with that at all. That's just doing the play by play. Even for Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series, the announcers were giving the run down: No runs, no hits, no errors. They would have been remiss to not include that information after each at bat.

A lot of announcers don't mention a no hitter while it's in progress. During Mr. 209's perfect game, the Oakland announcers made a point of not mentioning the words "no hitter" and "perfect game."

A lot of announcers don't mention a no hitter while it's in progress. During Mr. 209's perfect game, the Oakland announcers made a point of not mentioning the words "no hitter" and "perfect game."

Tradition, or superstition? A good announcer (increasingly rare these days) can highlight the drama of a situation like this without interfering with the course of the game. I mean, it's not like they're interviewing teammates during the game, after all. My biggest gripe is that too many sportscasters talk incessantly, ruining the tension normally created by brief periods of relative silence as the pitcher looks for the catcher's signals, eyes the base-runner, stares at the batter. In addition, you're visually bombarded with every statistic and TV special effect that's available. Remember, Miles said the space between the notes was as important as the notes themselves. The same applies to baseball, imo.

I never had any opinion on it until Galaragga's perfect game (yes, it was a perfect game, despite the umpire), when by the 7th inning the radio announcers began pointing out that not only were there no hits, no runs, no baserunners, no walks, no errors, but it was a PERFECT GAME! I thought that they shouldn't be saying it. Just mention the usual box score-type updates and be done with it until it's official.

I agree with Matthew and Moose. The words "no-hitter" or "perfect game" should not be mentioned. That custom is part of the fun of being a baseball fan.

By the way, It Should Be You mentioned Don Larsen's perfect game. My parents had tickets to see My Fair Lady on Broadway that night, and they spent the day driving down to New York from Boston, listening the game! Some day!

Seems like if it's the broadcast crew for the team pitching the no-hitter, they'll avoid using the term and speak more vaguely about "something special developing here," or words to that effect. For a nation broadcast though, I guess the "homer" factor is out the window and the announcer just describes what's happening.

So, if the broadcasters are pulling for a no-hitter, they'll only refer to it in general terms. If they're impartial, they should have not qualms about saying, "Lilly's got a no-hitter through seven innings in Chicago."

Seems like if it's the broadcast crew for the team pitching the no-hitter, they'll avoid using the term and speak more vaguely about "something special developing here," or words to that effect. For a nation broadcast though, I guess the "homer" factor is out the window and the announcer just describes what's happening.

So, if the broadcasters are pulling for a no-hitter, they'll only refer to it in general terms. If they're impartial, they should have not qualms about saying, "Lilly's got a no-hitter through seven innings in Chicago."

But that's not what happened in the Galaragga perfect game I just described two posts above. The Tigers announcers were clearly discussing a perfect game for at least 3 innings!