Eddie Higgins

Jim R

Time to revisit this topic that I started at BN shortly before that board went down. Eddie Higgins is a great pianist, a great artist, and a very very nice man. A few years ago, I was only slightly aware of him, associating his name with his work as a sideman with Lee Morgan and others in Chicago 40+ years ago. At some point I began to notice his CD's on Sunnyside ("Portrait In Black & White", and "Haunted Heart" were the ones I saw) in the stores, but I didn't take the plunge right away. I finally did take the plunge when his "Speaking Of Jobim" CD came out on that label. I was floored. I immediately went out and bought those two Sunnysides, which are both excellent CD's. Then, maybe a year or two later, Dan Gould (the lucky bastard lives within driving distance of Eddie's gigs in Florida) hipped me to Eddie's CD's on Venus (Japanese label that I was unaware of, which has a fine roster of artists). When I heard Eddie's "Bewitched" on Venus, I began to realize that this guy is in his PRIME. Some players actually seem to improve with age, and I think Eddie is one of them (maybe it has to do with the fact that you don't have to blow into a piano ;)). I eventually found a great Higgins discography online, and began to collect more E.H. recordings. Here's a link to his discog:

Eddie Higgins discography / index page

I contacted Eddie's discographer, Bill Gallagher, via e-mail. Turns out Bill lives about ten minutes away from me. He gave me Eddie's address, and said that Eddie sells his CD's for $15 +shipping. This includes his Venus discs, which I've seen listed online for anywhere from $30 to $40. I don't know if Eddie has any in mini-LP format (a question that was already asked of me), and I don't know if he has any SACD versions to sell. He does have quite a few of his CD's from over the years, though, some of which are not available anywhere else (I just bought a live recording from him which was recorded at the Van Dyke Cafe in Miami, duets with bassist Don Wilner, and this disc just blows me away- I HIGHLY recommend this!). Eddie is extremely versatile- he's a great accompanist too, and has recorded with a variety of talented musicians over the past few decades, including his wife, vocalist Meredith D'Ambrosio. Eddie plays a wide range of styles and tunes, from trad to swing to bop, and he has a knack for giving life to forgotten gems. He's also a huge fan of Jobim, and records a lot of Jobim's tunes (well-known, and otherwise). Above all, though, he's just tasty, and has a great touch and tone on the piano. For anyone who's interested in directly supporting this great pianist and fine gentelman, e-mail me or PM me.

Edited by Jim R

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, maybe a year or two later, Dan Gould (the lucky bastard lives within driving distance of Eddie's gigs in Florida) hipped me to Eddie's CD's on Venus (Japanese label that I was unaware of, which has a fine roster of artists).

What can I say? I've been called worse.

Heck I've even been called a "contemptible bastard" :o

One bit of advice if anyone contacts Mr. Higgins directly:

Don't ask him about "Music From Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

He's kinda touchy about that date.

One bit of advice if anyone contacts Mr. Higgins directly:

Hey, you contemtab... you contemiteb... you lucky contendimable bastard- I happen to like his take on C.C.B.B. :angry: (but did you HAVE to mention it? ;))

As I mentioned on the old board just before it vanished into the ether, Eddie was the piano player at my bar mitzvah reception. I wish I had been more knowledgeable about jazz at that age.

Saw him again in Miami at the aforementioned Van Dyke with the aforementioned Don Wilner over spring break a week and a half ago. He sounded wonderful, lines pouring out of him effortlessly. The only blemish was that there was a party of very loud drunk people sitting next to the stage who made it hard to hear sometimes and were also making some obnoxious requests (which Eddie and Don mostly graciously accepted--he does a hell of a boogie-woogie version of "St. Louis Blues!) Handling that kind of group must be a bit of a dilemma for a manager, since they made up about half the people in the small club and were spending quite a lot of cash on drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a message from Bill Gallagher, Eddie's online discographer, yesterday. He has added a number of quotes/anecdotes from Eddie regarding various recording sessions he made over the years. It's interesting reading, and adds a lot to the appeal of visiting the discography (Eddie Higgins discography)

One thing Eddie mentioned was that back in his Vee Jay days (circa 1960) Art Blakey offered him the piano chair in the Jazz Messengers. Eddie turned down the offer! He didn't elaborate, but hopefully we'll get the full story at some point...

I said it in my first post, but let me repeat... Eddie Higgins is not only a great jazz pianist, but I think he is in his prime NOW! His current CD's on Venus are fantastic. You don't have to pay $30 - $40 from a Japanese source, either. Eddie sells them himself, from his home in Florida, for $15 plus shipping. He's got about a dozen different titles on different labels. He doesn't do computers, so you can't e-mail him, but he seems to enjoy writing letters. If interested, send me a private message.

• 6 months later...

Hi Jim R.

I sent you a PM requesting Eddie's address but I don't know if it went through. Thanks.

Hi Bob,

One of your PM's DID get through, but I haven't been able to get a reply to go through.

========

Edit: Bob, I recieved your latest PM, letting me know that mine did reach you after all. Very good then- I hope you are able to get in touch with Eddie and purchase something from him. :tup You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Jim R

• 1 year later...

I just had a visit with Bill Gallagher, who put together Eddie's (as well as Sir Charles Thompson's) discography, and realized that I had never come back to this thread to post the new url for Bill's pages on Eddie. The new address (which will take you to a bio / index page) is:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Higgins/index.html

This new address features a complete song index as well as an index of all the artists that Eddie has worked with since 1956.

There are two recent releases on Venus, "If Dreams Come True" and "Christmas Songs" (okay, I know this is poor timing ;)), both trios with Jay Leonhart and Joe Ascione. I believe these Venus discs can still be ordered directly from Eddie.

Bill also tells me that there are at least four new recordings awaiting release in the coming year (not all on Venus). :tup

• 2 weeks later...

I said it in my first post, but let me repeat... Eddie Higgins is not only a great jazz pianist, but I think he is in his prime NOW! His current CD's on Venus are fantastic. You don't have to pay $30 - $40 from a Japanese source, either. Eddie sells them himself, from his home in Florida, for $15 plus shipping. He's got about a dozen different titles on different labels. He doesn't do computers, so you can't e-mail him, but he seems to enjoy writing letters. If interested, send me a private message.

Rather than post Eddie's mailing addresses here on the board (which just seems a bit indiscreet to me), I'm just encouraging people to PM me if they're serious about buying from Eddie (or just writing him a nice note, which I would also recommend :)).

I was just re-reading the Cadence interview with him awhile back.

I worked on the SS Norway in '88 for 6 months, and was fortunate to be on board during the 2 weeks of "Jazz at Sea". Wow! He was there, along with many others, including Tommy Flanagan, Buck Clayton, Erskine Hawkins, Clark Terry, Flip Phillips, Al Grey, Major Holley, et al.

One night in one of the smaller piano lounges, he and Joe Williams were hanging out and performing duo. Very nice! That intimacy was interrupted when someone rushed in to announce that Sarah Vaughan was in another room, and Joe went down and joined her for a few numbers. I wish I'd had the foresight to record that shit. -_-

• 2 years later...

Yesterday I interviewed Eddie Higgins just before he'll be coming to Israel for a single concert. I have a few answers to some of the issues raised here:

He's kinda touchy about that date.

Well, I did asked him about that. He said he was glad that album didn't sell good. It wasn't his idea to record it, but the producer who wanted to do a musical . Unfortunately the producer chose a musical with an extremely bad music. Eddie half jokingly complained about discographers that insist on documenting everything, warts and all.

Mr. Higgins wrote one of the all-time-great-titled songs: "Zarac, The Evil One" :lol: Not a bad tune, either! :D

One of his first drummers @ the London house was a Swedish guy. One time when they went out for a smoke, that dude gazed at the blinking red light on top of the skyscraper in front of them and shouted "Zarac is coming!"

Not to mention "Expoobident" B)

That was a word Babs Gonzales used. It's a positive term, for example: "man this was Expoobident!"

He also told me that he turned down an offer from Blakey to join the messengers. First Eddie said the reason was his steady job in Chicago and not wanting to go on the road while he had small kids. I felt there was more to it. After a few gentle nags, he said that he didn't wanted to join Blakey for two other reasons: a) he was afraid to be an outcast in the group since he would have been the only one who was not doing drugs and also the only white dude. b) Blakey had a reputation of first paying his connections and only if he had any money left - paying the musicians.

Edited by White Lightning

I am sure that you had an enjoyable time interviewing Eddie, who is truly a gentleman, but none of this is new to those who read my two-part Eddie Higgins interview that was published in Cadence, mentioned here. In fact, I didn't even have to nag him to get the full story about his declining to join the Messengers. :P

This thread brings back a nice memory of stopping by their South Florida home back in 1999 to buy some cds. They both were very gracious. I also enjoyed seeing and hearing about Meredith's paintings which, at the time, were on display throughout their house and playing with their dog (Clifford Brown!). The invitation came when Eddie and Meredith were playing at a Whole Foods type of grocery store. I asked to buy a cd that they didn't have with them. They told me to call them for a convenient time to stop by. Also a priceless memory was seeing Eddie and Flip Philips play at a long defunct South Florida jazz club (Penguin's??......in the 80's.....time passes way too quickly). Flip was quite fragile.....had difficulty climbing up on the bandstand....but when he started playing his posture became erect and he seemed to be 20 years younger. It was my mom's birthday and, during a break, Eddie came over to wish her a happy birthday. Gracious to be sure!

• 1 year later...

I am listening to the Venus twofer "Standards By Request - 1st Day & 2nd Day". This is beautiful two handed solo piano playing by Mr. Higgins, nothing adventurous, but highly enjoyable renditions of well known and not so well known standards; needless to say that the recording quality is top notch. by the way, this twofer is available from a Korean amazon.com marketplace dealer for $18.99.

You can't go wrong with any of Eddie Higgins' recordings for Venus, as he has become a favorite of Tetsuo Hara.

That's true, I have several of his Venus trio and solo records and they are consistently fine. Apart from these, Eddie Higgins has some equally fine albums on other labels. I particularly like the following:

In Chicago (Solo Art)

By Request (Solo Art)

Those Quiet Days (Sunnyside)

Portrait In Black And White (Sunnyside)

Haunted Heart (Sunnyside)

Speaking Of Jobim (Sunnyside)

Time On My Hands (Arbors)