Fred Anderson - RIP

Chuck Nessa

Thanks for posting that, Chuck. Very sad news (way too much these days it seems.) I never had the chance to see Fred in person, and only first heard about him from guys like you here on the forum. Will be spinning much by him this weekend. R.I.P.

Guest Bill Barton

Thank you so much for these posts, Chuck.

When my ex-girlfriend and I moved here to the Seattle area from Vermont in 2001 we drove cross-continent. We made it sort of a musical quest and drove North to Montreal as the first leg of the journey. This was specifically to see Fred Anderson play at Casa del Popolo. Sadly it was the only time I got a chance to hear him in performance. I have very vivid memories of that show, a superb evening of music. The intensity and power of the music is part of it, his obvious humanity is a big part of it too. He was a truly evolved human being, a beautiful person, and that is obvious in his music. He is one of my musical heroes, an Elder. I cried when I read the news of his passing yesterday morning. Coming so close to Bill Dixon's passing made it even harder, as both men are truly heroic figures to me.

The positive vibrations of that wonderful show ran through my heart and head for miles and miles as we drove the Cross Canada highway heading West.

We eventually headed South to visit Chicago, partially in search of Von Freeman, whom we didn't find, but that's a whole other story.

Fred Anderson's legacy as a Master Musician, co-founder of the AACM, and mentor to dozens, probably hundreds, of young musicians in Chicago will live on. As I said earlier, a life well-lived.

I remember the day I met Fred Anderson ā€“ October 20, 1966. The occasion was Joseph Jarmanā€™s first recording session for Delmark. After the session I invited everyone back to our apartment for a party. I can still see Fred sitting on the mattress in our living room ā€“ we didnā€™t have real furniture then. I also remember the last time I saw Fred ā€“ it was a few months ago outside the Velvet and we were about to leave. Ann hugged and kissed him - the startled/bemused look on his face will be with me forever.

I guess 40 + years of Fred has to be enough

An message from Fred's granddaughter:

Hello family and friends! My name is Jasmine Sebaggala, I am Fred Anderson's grandaughter.Ā  I am writing on behalf of my family.Ā  We appreciate the support and prayers for my grandfather, Fred Anderson.Ā 

My Grandfather received visits and phone calls from more than 200 people.

People traveled from various cities to visit him.Ā  Thanks for sharing great vibes, stories, food and love.

My grandfather died peacefully on Thursday June 24, 2010 at 3:10 a.m. He was in hospice at The Ark in Park Ridge, IL.Ā  We will miss my grandfather's presence, and cherish our memories of him. He was a humble man that helped and inspired others and loved his family and friends. The velvety smooth sounds blown from his horn remind me of his dedication, strength and courage.Ā  We will always honor his legacy, work ethic and determination.Ā  Funeral arrangements are pending.

In lieu of flowers, our family asks that donations be endorsed to Friends of the Velvet and sent to Asian Improv Arts Midwest, 410 S. Michigan Ave #943, Chicago,IL 60605.

Sincerely,

Jasmine Sebaggala

I remember the day I met Fred Anderson ā€“ October 20, 1966. The occasion was Joseph Jarmanā€™s first recording session for Delmark. After the session I invited everyone back to our apartment for a party. I can still see Fred sitting on the mattress in our living room ā€“ we didnā€™t have real furniture then. I also remember the last time I saw Fred ā€“ it was a few months ago outside the Velvet and we were about to leave. Ann hugged and kissed him - the startled/bemused look on his face will be with me forever.

I guess 40 + years of Fred has to be enough

It's nice you were able to see him so recently but I know that doesn't make the loss any easier.

R.I.P, Mr Anderson

Wow! 40 years Chuck?

I just turned 40 in March. This news makes me very sad.

The last time I saw Fred was when Reptet played at the Velvet about a year and half ago. He had lost a lot of weight since his performance in Seattle a few years prior (Fred, Hamid and William Parker ā€“ one of the greatest performances I ever witnessed).

My condolences to Fredā€™s family. They must be very proud of his accomplishments. He was a man who did thing son his own terms and made his own way in this world. I guess weā€™ll just have to muddle through, but things will be a little less bright without the light of Fred Anderson.

Thanks you Fred.