Cannonball Adderley, "Alto Giant"

Mark Stryker

Anyone heard this or know anything more about its provenance? Odd that Louis Hayes is here given the date but perhaps he rejoined for just a quick one-off gig.

Nat Adderley (cor) Cannonball Adderley (as) Joe Zawinul (p) Victor Gaskin (b) Louis Hayes (d)

live in Milan, Italy, 1969

The Scavenger Joker (J) UPS 2057

Sweet Emma -

Ballad Medley -

This Here -

Manha De Carnaval -

Walk Tall -

* Cannonball Adderley - Alto Giant (Joker (J) UPS 2057)

Seems as if the discography may well have it wrong. Interestingly, the LP I saw today (but did not buy) had a cover identical to that which Marcello's link produces, but Hayes was definitely listed as the drummer. I don't recall the label, nor whether a more specific recording date is given beyond 1969 in Milan.

Edited by Mark Stryker

While I might give the sextet with Yusef a slightly higher overall grade based on YL's playing, Cannonball, Joe and Nat were much more interesting/exciting players at this point. Plus, Joe was entering his peak as a composer around this period - the breadth of his work, from shamelessly populist to utterly experimental and everything in between, is impressive.

And, I hate to say it, maybe too much talking. But what the hell. Tried to catch him whenever I could - heard him many times, beginning with the Charles Lloyd sextet up to what may have been his last (or close to it) performance.