RIP Harry Beckett

Alexander Hawkins

Not ringing many bells here but sounds like it'd be worth digging out from somewhere. Maybe it was the only other single that Bev bought in the 80s? Bev?

He's listed on the other three I have - 'Storm of Light', 'Stella Marina' and 'Inner City Blues'.

The only Working Week albim with Keith Tippett on that I know was the later 'Fire in the Mountain'. Not sure if he's on that.

The last time I saw him he was playing in the band that recorded this:

61J9Z3EKQCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

had totally forgotten about it, but I saw him with that fine band, too IIRC (in Moers)

really discovered him only in the last few weeks through those great Collier albums ... RIP

oh god, ....where do you always find (and get) these great cds ?????

I think I bought it in a record shop (remember them?) about ten years ago. It's still knocking about - very good indeed.

The only reason I find so many is that I have a 14 year-olds ability to impulse buy coupled with the spending power of a 55 year old!

There's a great Harry Beckett solo on the extended version of 'Venceremos' on this Working Week 12" single:

img7c7b854ezikczj.jpeg

One of the few singles I bought in the 80s!

And one of the best singles of that blighted decade!

There's a great Harry Beckett solo on the extended version of 'Venceremos' on this Working Week 12" single:

img7c7b854ezikczj.jpeg

One of the few singles I bought in the 80s!

Indeed Bev. That's a marvellous disc. Brings back some great memories of seeing Working Week live (and that first album). Hadn't thought that it was Harry Beckett that was featured...will try and dig it out over the weekend

Wasn't there also a dance floor 12" (forget the title but it wasn't by Working Week) with Larry Stabbins and Keith Tippett on it? That one was mentioned in the 'Jazz Britannia' documentaries and I'm pretty sure Harry Beckett was on that one too.

Another good one is 'Joy Unlimited' on Cadillac Records. That one should be reissued on CD for sure.

There are some other LPs on Ogun, like 'Memories of Bacares' and 'Got It Made' that deserve a CD reissue.

• 5 weeks later...

An interesting Obituary for Harry here. Turns out he was actually 86 when he died - and not in his 70s. Amazing then that he kept so active musically on the horn well into this year.

Harry Beckett Obit

Wow...must be a few months ago that I last saw Harry, but he looked absolutely great for that age.

Last time I saw him I think was Swanage several years ago. He was with his Quintet featuring Chris Biscoe. Unfortunately Harry got lost in the car drive somewhere en route so he only did 1-2 tunes before the band's time wsas up. In retrospect considering his advanced years, amazing that he even did the gig. Previous to that I caught him at 'Jazz Britannia' (brilliant) and also with the Quintet with Biscoe at Cheltenham. At that one he was featured as part of Gilles Peterson's record deck DJ show to a largely 'raver' crowd (plus me :rolleyes: ).

I agree - he was in very good shape for his years.

Edited by sidewinder