Trombone - how hard is it, really?

Ibuchreitz

Hey peeps,

I've been playing alto sax (for about 6 months) and electric bass (for about 10 years), and I've been thinking about purchasing a tenor trombone. I know people who tell me, that trombone and trompet are extremely difficult instruments to play, but they told me that about alto sax, and I'm doing alright there considering the short span I've practised it.

So what's the case? Is it really that hard? I believe it's the embouchure-thing, that makes my friends scared of these instruments, but I'm thinking - how hard can it be?

Thanks GA!

Hi lbuchreitz-

Welcome to the board!

I've been a trombonist for about 40 years and love to play. I think it's great you're considering taking up a brass instrument- there are some things to consider, however.

In regard to playing any brass instrument- one of the most critical elements in playing any instrument is a good sound. With brass instruments the quality of sound is dependent on the embouchure. Embouchure development is a process which takes time and dedication and requires constant vigilance. You can't play once a week and expect progress; it's important to have a regular routine and stick to it. Playing a brass instrument requires a pretty serious level of commitment.

As far as issues specific to trombone, the main one is dealing with using a slide. It's basically a fretless instrument, like cello. Playing in tune is dependent on having the slide in the right place at the right time, so a good ear and consistent positioning of the slide are critical to success. Also, since a trombone has no valves one must articulate every note, so tonguing is another important skill. Playing with a good and controlled sound, good time and good intonation are the most fundamental elements of playing ANY instrument. If those things aren't in place, the other important components of melody, harmony and rhythm are basically irrelevant.

I don't play trumpet, but the same embouchure issues exist, and the smaller trumpet mouthpiece is somewhat less forgiving than the larger trombone mouthpiece. Of course having valves makes things a bit easier than the slide, but there are still important tonguing skills to develop.

That's a very short explanation of your question. I hope this doesn't discourage you. Basically, your level of success & rate of improvement will be dependent of how much time you put in. Playing trombone is a challenge and there are many potential obstacles that are unique to the instrument- that's one reason beginners often get discouraged. The rate of improvement is often slower than that of other brass and woodwinds players. All things considered, I do love it and wouldn't pick a different instrument if I were to do it all over.

BTW, another good part of playing trombone is all the jokes. :)

I would add to this that if you intend to proceed, the smartest thing you could do is get with a private teacher. This will help get you started and minimize the chance of developing bad habits at the fundamental level.

it's gotta be more difficult to play the trombone than the sax -

I play sax and I've played the trumpet, and the trumpet was way more difficult. So I'm guessing trombone would have some of the same issues.

You could try the slide saxophone.

slide1.jpg

Edited by AllenLowe

Hehe, thanks for all the jokes and info.

Especially a big thanks to you, Free For All, for your in-depth perspective and willingness to share it with others. I wont have the time to master the trombone. My goal is to learn it well enough to make backing riffs to record alongside my other instruments. Small, simple melodies that I can record in my home-studio. Will it take long until I can make a good sound - not consitently, just every other time I play it?

Will it take long until I can make a good sound - not consitently, just every other time I play it?

If consistency is not an issue, you can probably an average sound together in fairly short time, although the quality of the tone may not make for a good recording. I would recommend starting on a valve trombone- gaining good slide technique and intonation on a slide trombone WILL take time and effort.

Well, I want to be able to get a good consistent sound out of the trombone, but realisticly that might take up more of my time, than I can spare. I'm a father of two, have a full time job, already play two instruments etc, etc... I just hope that perhaps with a bit of practise (2-4 hours a week for 3-4 months), I'll be able to play something that I can record by adding a lot of patience and possibly the willingness to do many, many takes before getting it right.

Does that sound realistic in your ears?

Pardon me for displaying my ignorance on this matter, but isn't the valve-trombone more difficult than the slide one in terms of embouchure. Like on a trumpet where you'd only have three valves, you'd have to form every tone with your embouchure - not just get the right air technique, but actually produce the nature of the tone with the way you use your mouth? I've played fretless bass every now and then and I think I could get use to it. I've got a pretty good ear, so if the tones are located logically, I think I might manage.

Another reason I might be going for the slide is the money. I can get a decent slide-trombone for $350 http://www.danguitar.dk/product.asp?product=603 (it's probably not fantastic, but for what I'll need it for, I suppose it will do). A valve trombone, could easily cost 6 times that amount - money I dont have at this time.

Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

If all you're wanting is a "sound" to play simple background patterns on a recording, but aren't, for whatever reason, going to do the work to get a real tone & technique, just get a keyboard with some good patches.

That's what I was about to post...

If all you're wanting is a "sound" to play simple background patterns on a recording, but aren't, for whatever reason, going to do the work to get a real tone & technique, just get a keyboard with some good patches.

That's what I was about to post...

Inarguably, you two are making quite a bit of sense. The thing is I think that suggestion would be too easy and not a lot of fun. I want to play the trombone - learn the basics and see where it gets me. I just try to have realistic expectations on how often I can practise in conjunction with how good I intend to become. I want the instrument, I want to explore it's possibilities - I just know, I wont be able to practise several hours each day.

Hehe, you're a fun group! I'll probably end up buying a trombone and regret it because it is too difficult to play. I might end up leaving it outside in the rain for weeks, so I can say without lying, that I've had a "rusty trombone". Let's see how that goes.:w

Edited by Ibuchreitz