Finally, FINALLY, got to see Jim play live!!!

It's 2:19 in the morning, I've been home for about a half-hour, and the adrenaline is STILL rushing thru my veins. Janiva Magness's tour swung through Dallas for a night, and I *finally* got to see what all the excitement's about.

First, I'll tell you that, though I'm hardly an expert on blues singin/shoutin, I feel pretty comfortable in telling y'all that this woman has few peers! Singers don't move me much to begin with, but Janiva makes you FEEL all kinds of bluesy: bad blues, sad blues, happy blues, pissed-off blues, so many kinds of blues and the best part was every song felt like it was directed at YOU!

And the band! Tight, right, and fulla might!!! They started the 2nd set with a couple instrumentals, a standard blues and then a kick-ass reading of James Brown's "Super Bad" that actually shot past the expectations of the title!

All of this would've made for a helluva night of blues except that I was there to see Jim, so the night coulda sucked and it would've been worth it just to finally be able to see Jim play live. Those of you who've had the pleasure of seeing him live know why I'm all sorts of giddy right now. Randy and Joe especially, cuz you guys got to PLAY with Jim on a regular basis! (Yeah, I'm just a little envious, but then I remember I got to play with Sangrey. So there! Nyah! :D:g)

At first, I thought I'd caught the end of the gig, cuz I walked in and the bandstand was right by the entrance and Jim was literally next to the door. I walked in just as he was taking off on a B3 solo that circled the stratosphere a few times before blasting completely off into the nether regions! (I think the last time I was that awed by a musical performance was the first time I saw Quartet Out and a Dennis Durick drum solo that, had he let go of either those sticks, could've killed anyone within a 100-yard radius! I tell y'all: I've been waiting a LOOOOOONG time to see Organissimo play, and while that dream no longer appears to be achievable in a group context, I can still dream about seeing them individually (and, shame on me, I should've seen Randy & his dad this summer! Still bugged about that one!), and one of those dreams came true tonight!)

Thankfully, that was only the beginning, as intermission began and not only did I get to yak it up with Jim for a few minutes, but also got to meet kh1958! Sweet! And I buy the next round of sodas! :)

Set two kicked off with the aforementioned instrumentals, then Janiva took the stage and OWNED it for the rest of the night! At one point, I found myself yelling, "TELL IT, BABY!" during one particularly slow & aching blues, right at the end when it's slowing down and she's got us ALL wrapped around her fingers! DAMN, she's good!

Afterwards, kh & I were walking to our cars and I said, "That was almost as loud as the Metallica concert!" But the Metallica concert, as monumental as that was, wasn't nearly as direct and inspiring as tonight was! This was easily the best show I've seen all year, and it's gonna take a LOT to top it! Unless, of course, I get asked to play bass behind Greg & Sangrey again, then all bets are off! ;)

Seriously, Jim, it was an absolute pleasure and well worth the wait after all these years to finally hear you tearin' it up. I hope you know that not only do I consider you a friend, but still consider you one of my heroes, musical and otherwise. (That and a few bucks will get you a coffee at 7-Eleven, assuming y'all stop there from time to time on the road) Tonight only cemented that.

Take care, man!

I hadn't heard Janiva Magness before, and I must say she was quite good--her voice is powerful, she sings with great feeling, and she is charismatic and a real showman, so I can see why she is winning all these blues awards--her opening song is electric.

I was a bit taken aback to arrive just before the first set and find the place packed. It's not usually like that, unfortunately. Ms. Magness has some star power, obviously, that appeals to a broader audience than the usual blues fans.

And the keyboard player in her band is really outstanding. I was very impressed. He sounded great.

And it was a pleasure to meet and talk to Jim Alfredson and Big Al.

Hopefully, the band will return to Dallas in the near future.

And to put in a plug for Pearl, a real music oasis in the Dallas desert, there's some good stuff on the horizon, including Michael Burks on September 10, Eddie Turner on October 14, and Guitar Shorty on December 10.