Any new Miles' boxes on the horizon?

nmorin

I recall seeing wish lists for Miles box sets that included shows from the 1967 European tour or the complete sets that Columbia recorded in June 1970 at the Fillmore East that were diced up for the Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat “Miles Davis at Fillmore” album (both of which I'd leap at). But has anyone heard about anything actually in the works?

No, I doubt it. Those "wish lists" would make sense for fans, but for Sony, the only thing that makes sense is something that can involve a repackaging of Kind of Blue of Bitches Brew, somehow. I don't think anything truly interesting is going to happen anytime soon.

I hope that the family gains or regains some sort of sensible attitude to balance their wants and needs with that of the label. . . and the fans. Right now I think we are short a few box sets that the label would put out if the family were interested or even compliant. I may be wrong.

I hope they do a 50th anniversary of Quiet Nights in 2012. There must be some way to turn a 26-minute record into a 6-CD box.

Bertrand.

Hopefully, with a metal spine.

I know there are people out there who would buy a CD of Miles farting in his bathtub but I'm pretty sure I already have everything of his I'm ever going to need.

There are definitely some boxes that are missing: a collection of various live gigs from the 60s quintet, and a collection of live gigs from the lost quintet. We know there are good quality recordings out there. So far most of the material is from the Sony vaults, although the new BB sets show that they may be willing to open up.

Bertrand.

There are definitely some boxes that are missing: a collection of various live gigs from the 60s quintet, and a collection of live gigs from the lost quintet.

That's the one I'd be most eager to get. I know most, if not all, of this material has circulated on the Internet, but I'd love to see a well-done box-set of it. Unfortunately, I think jazzbo's post may be right on target.

George Cole, the author of the book "The Last Miles," posted some information about abandoned Sony projects to the Miles-Digest mailing list in 2007.

Quote:

Date:    Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:36:52 +0200

Subject: Bob Belden on Miles releases and more

I recently talked to Bob Belden for a feature I'm writing and in the course of our chat, I asked him about Sony's Miles release strategy. It's not looking good I'm afraid and he hinted that the On The Corner boxed set could well be the last of its kind.

He also revealed that he had planned to put together a series of re-releases of Miles's 1980s albums, complete with bonus tracks. This was some of the material under consideration:

- 5 hours from KIX

- The complete Avery Fisher shows

- The complete Japan tour 1982

Star People - many live shows from board tapes plus many studio sessions. These include a duet with Miles on electric piano and JJ Johnson on trombone, plus another blues number featuring Mike Stern on guitar.

Decoy - many board tapes but not so much in the way of studio stuff.

You're Under Arrest- some additional stuff plus the pop songs that were never finished.

Aura - the live show from Denmark could have been added to the issued CD

Sadly, Sony decided to pull the project - grrrrrrrr!!!

End quote

This was just the next phase Bob had planned, I know he would have moved into producing box sets from the sixties and seventies had he not run headlong into the big family roadblock. . . . It's a shame. In time I believe that the almighty dollar will mean we'll see more of what we want. How much time? Not sure. The fact that the trumpet case is not jumping off the shelves probably means something to the label and perhaps family, but the lesson they take from this may not be the one we'd wish.