Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazon UK...

Bill Evans - The Riverside and Milestone Albums (15 cd's) - 34.78 GBP - 20% VAT = 27.82 GBP

http://www.amazon.co...45437896&sr=1-1

At the current exchange rate of $1.57, that comes to $43.68 plus shipping. In my order over the weekend, I added it to my dvd order which had 9 GBP for shipping, and the Evans box did not add anything more to the shipping total.

Amazon US...

$51.14

http://www.amazon.co...e+and+Milestone

PS - As per Jetman's comment, I think that the $1.57 includes the bank's fee to convert the pounds to dollars. Amazon was offering to convert at $1.63.

Edited by GA Russell

LOL I spent my money too soon!

Amazon UK today has the Bill Evans Riverside box for 29.67 GBP - 20% VAT = 23.74 GBP = $37.27.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Riverside-Milsestone-Bill-Evans/dp/B004I289FE?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelcamelcam-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004I289FE

Can anyone comment on the following:

1. What is included and how is it included (all bonus cuts and multiple alt taks or at the end)? I am asking because I have a few of the older ojcs.

2. Sound quality or mastering (not to get all Hoffman on this point but curious nonetheless)?

Thanks much for any guidance.

Amazon UK today has the Bill Evans Riverside box for 29.67 GBP - 20% VAT = 23.74 GBP = $37.27.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Riverside-Milsestone-Bill-Evans/dp/B004I289FE?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelcamelcam-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004I289FE

1. What is included and how is it included (all bonus cuts and multiple alt taks or at the end)? I am asking because I have a few of the older ojcs.

2. Sound quality or mastering (not to get all Hoffman on this point but curious nonetheless)?

If it's like the other sets in this series, it contains EXACT copies of the OJC cd's released in the States in the late 80s and early 90s by Fantasy. The cd's are enclosed in cheap mini-lp sleeves that, incidentally, are NOT exact replicas of the original lp sleeves.

If it's like the other sets in this series, it contains EXACT copies of the OJC cd's released in the States in the late 80s and early 90s by Fantasy. The cd's are enclosed in cheap mini-lp sleeves that, incidentally, are NOT exact replicas of the original lp sleeves.

Ok, thanks for the info. Sigh. Starting to think that this applies to those Pop Market boxes as well. Trying to avoid the constant circle of rebuying what I already own.

The Pop Markets in general have a considerably nicer presentation, although lots have problems with the "mysterious" white borders that appear around the cover pictures. Btw, there's usually nothing wrong with the mastering on those early OJCCD's. If yuo don't already have most of the albums, buying those Euro boxes is a cheap way to go.

They are exact copies, but I thought the Evans would be like the Tatums I have in the same series: double jewel cases in a slip case. It's basic, but no more cheap than zillions of other boxed sets out there, including Mosaic Selects.

Are you sure about the mini LP packing of the single discs? I've only got one of these (the Rollins Prestige) and is has the discs (eight of them, the albums - the box is not identical in content to the earlier complete 7CD set, missing several sideman sessions/albums) in two jumbo jewel cases, each holding four discs. The others I've seen in stores (Ellington Carnegie, Chet Baker Riverside, Coltrane Prestige) looked the same to me.

Are you sure about the mini LP packing of the single discs? I've only got one of these (the Rollins Prestige) and is has the discs (eight of them, the albums - the box is not identical in content to the earlier complete 7CD set, missing several sideman sessions/albums) in two jumbo jewel cases, each holding four discs. The others I've seen in stores (Ellington Carnegie, Chet Baker Riverside, Coltrane Prestige) looked the same to me.

I have the first pressing of the Miles Prestige Albums set. It uses the mini-lp packaging. Maybe when they changed for succeeding pressings, they put these in jewel cases? I know they went from a longbox version (which I have) to what looks like a cube.

Saw the new Coltrane in a store today - way to thin to contain jewel cases ... guess they go the mini-LP route for larger sets or they've just changed somewhere along the way. Does the Miles contain a booklet with anything other than line-ups, tracklist and all the usual information?

This is why it's a "bargain".

The Complete Woody Shaw Columbia Albums Collection

Have all the albums on LP, but that's a terrific buy.

Edited by Mandrill

Well, there continue to be higher priced Mosaic Shaw sets for sale on ebay and elsewhere, which made this one a "bargain" price. I think it's priced nicely and the others are off base. I know all about the Pop Market set, I have it AND the Mosaic. There are reasons to have a Mosaic despite the new set, especially if you're a fan of the Mosaic "method."

Edited by jazzbo

Their Bechet wallet box is MP3 sourced and the Quadromanias are generally crappy (also as far as documentation/session info is concerned).

The Membran Quadromanias leave me with that same cheap, slimy feeling the Real Gone "3/6/8 Classic Albums" sets do, but even worse, as the programming and selection feel quite random, with no original release info included. The sound quality hasn't really bothered me on them, but everything else about them does.

Membran's classical box sets are spectacular bargains. I've found that the trick is to rip the sets to true mono. They appear to be transferred in stereo with different noise on each channel. Once you sum them out to mono all that noise gets cancelled out and they sound great.