Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Until recently, I was too budget-minded to spring for such boxes, but have become a convert.

I bought the above used via the same site about a month ago, about $4 under the used price currently showing.

Also have found some good used prices on Half.com (surprisingly) - got the Coltrane Impulse box there.

www.popmarket.com is offering the Fats Waller box set for 19.99 and free shipping. This is a great box set, good price imo.

http://www.popmarket.com/fats-waller-his-rhythm-if-you-got-to-ask-you-ain-t-got-it/details/5740479

What do you think about the sound on that set? I have the cheapo Euro release that was available for a heartbeat, and find the sound distant:

51F8LGgMnqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I always thought that cheapo RCA Original Masters edition was a direct port of the US set that Lon mentions. I have the US set, though, and the sound is fine to me (although I am by no means an audiophile). Unless you are a major Waller fan, my instinct would be to stick with the Euro set.

When the heck is Mosaic going to do a complete Fats box?

I love the sound of the US set popmarket is offering. That said, it may not be the cup of tea of someone else, I view mastering sound as a subjective thing. I find the sound clear but not thin and brittle. I have not heard the European set. I have heard the Ellington in the series, the sound is good, but bettered by the Mosaic sets.

The booklet is excellent! As is the song selection and sequencing.

I always thought that cheapo RCA Original Masters edition was a direct port of the US set that Lon mentions. I have the US set, though, and the sound is fine to me (although I am by no means an audiophile). Unless you are a major Waller fan, my instinct would be to stick with the Euro set.

When the heck is Mosaic going to do a complete Fats box?

Regarding the Waller set, I'd get it for that price. The boxed set carries a very nice booklet with notes by Dan Morgenstern. I also think that the cheapo EU set was taken from the US one (it would make sense, although traditionally that's never stopped record companies from being silly). The EU set has the same titles as the US, except one (can't remember which).

As for a complete Fats collection, there's already a 24-CD set by JSP (in six 4-CD boxes).

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

I've never had any complaint about the sound of the RCA Bluebird complete Fats Waller collections. My only complaint was the price I had to pay for the one out of print set I had to buy when a friend borrowed and lost one of the boxes in the set.

It's interesting to note that the Ellington title in the "Original Masters" release was a new or different mastering than US issues of the material. Sounded good. I've never heard the Fats Waller entry, being so happy with the US box set, and having all the JSP sets, and . . . well I've a lot of Thomas Waller.

As for a complete Fats collection, there's already a 24-CD set by JSP (in six 4-CD boxes).

I know! It's so annoying. I haven't been happy with JSP releases I've bought in the past and would much prefer a set done with Mosaic's care and attention.

Sure, but I don't think we'll ever see a Mosaic of this material. It's all been out before etc.

That said, I've been impressed with the JSP series. Nothing to brag about at all as far as packaging or notes, but the sound is very good. I've books and other sets for notes, and having all the official releases in sound this good . . . I'm happy. Recommended, and I'm no blanket fan of JSP.

Re: Waller. Wasn't there a complete RCA series on CD?

Re: JSP. Every once in a while the Wallers pop up at Fopp in London, for £9 apiece. Have also seen at that price the two Cab Calloways, the two Ellingtons, most of the Djangos, Rosemary Clooney, Louis Jordan, Bix & Tram, Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives & Sevens...

F

JSP started out really good with excellent transfers done specifically for them (Mills Bros, Django, Hot 5s, etc.) For some reason they abandoned that and it seems that now they're lifting a bunch of their transfers from other labels' releases. That's pretty common with bargain box labels in Europe.

Edited by Bigshot

JSP started out really good with excellent transfers done specifically for them (Mills Bros, Django, Hot 5s, etc.) For some reason they abandoned that and it seems that now they're lifting a bunch of their transfers from other labels' releases. That's pretty common with bargain box labels in Europe.

Is there proof that JSP is actually lifting transfers? Even the most recent ones are done by Kendall. I have the 7 Djangos, the Satch Hot 5's and 7's, the Jelly Roll Morton, the Charlie Christian and the Sidney Bechet, fwiw.

JSP apparently does both: commission new transfers, and "lift" existing transfers. As far as solid proof for the latter, I believe that the Charlie Patton material was "proven" to be a lift from Revenant and some compensation ordered in court.

I've sets from them that are explicitly labeled as remastered either by Davies or his protege Kendall. I've heard a few others. . . wasn't that impressed.

Is there proof that JSP is actually lifting transfers? Even the most recent ones are done by Kendall. I have the 7 Djangos, the Satch Hot 5's and 7's, the Jelly Roll Morton, the Charlie Christian and the Sidney Bechet, fwiw.

There's a mix of original (re)masters and proven lifts, like the Carter Family set.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina