Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1955-1966 is £90.25 at Amazon UK.

That's only about £9 less than Popmarket, but if you're in the UK you will avoid the shipping and customs costs you'd otherwise pay. Works out as £4.75 a CD.

Now up to £122.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been frustratingly waiting for my copy of this. Shipped on the same day as my Weather Report set, which I received on Monday.

I think yes, there are new remasters here, especially likely for the later albums in the set. I heard from one fellow jazz collector who says these final albums sound improved.

Thanks for the tip on the Monk and Weather Report.

Why would I want to buy the Mingus if I have the 2CD Bluebird of Tijuana and the latest remasters of Ah Um, Alt Takes and Dynasty? Is it really worth it for those last three records? I have the blue/purple border of Let My Kids.

Edited by Jay

Probably not. It's a personal thing. Mingus is very important to my listening world, and I would like to have new re-masterings of those final albums. I also like these box sets, all the material is one place, and I like pulling out a box and listening to some discs. So it was clear to me that the box set was something I would have.

Some UK-based sellers on amazon.com (US site) have very low prices on the Monk and Mingus "Complete Columbia Albums". This has been happening with a number of boxes originally offered by Popmarket.

The UK sites are even better (Rarewaves & Zoverstocks) for us in Australia

Monk - 13.49 & 13.51 pounds

Mingus - 22.84 & 22.86 pounds

• 2 weeks later...

mjzee, I probably have said before that it has been my experience going back to the 60s that a much higher percentage of my list price albums have been duds than my $1.99 cutouts!

Nowadays, I find that a box set on sale is like a cut out. It helps that so many of us here like decades-old music, which many of these box sets are.

For my tastes, the box set pickings have been slim since the first of the year, but I'm hoping that things will pick up at Christmastime.

mjzee, I probably have said before that it has been my experience going back to the 60s that a much higher percentage of my list price albums have been duds than my $1.99 cutouts!

Nowadays, I find that a box set on sale is like a cut out. It helps that so many of us here like decades-old music, which many of these box sets are.t

I agree with all of this.