borders 40 percent off Black Friday

BeBop

I'm pretty much through with Borders and Borders.com. Their server was crashed on the 23rd with people trying to cash in their Borders bucks, leaving many people unable to reclaim them. I tried 5 times throughout the day to place an order. Unacceptable.

And then I decided, what the hell, maybe I can go get Jazz Icons 4 with the 50% off coupon. Two stores said it was in stock, even on their internal system and it was not on the shelf. I had to wait forever to get help at one of the stores because they were short-staffed on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Bad website. Bad inventory control. Very bad service at the brick and mortars. Not going to be too sorry when they go under.

I'd take advantage of the coupon except for the fact the last time I visted Borders cd inventory was pretty pathetic. That was some time ago and I don't know whether it's worth a 45 minute drive at this point for just 1 item whether it's a cd or a book. If Paul Secor reads this can you help me out? I'm referring to the store in Wappingers Falls.

I'd take advantage of the coupon except for the fact the last time I visted Borders cd inventory was pretty pathetic. That was some time ago and I don't know whether it's worth a 45 minute drive at this point for just 1 item whether it's a cd or a book. If Paul Secor reads this can you help me out? I'm referring to the store in Wappingers Falls.

Tom - PM sent.

• 3 weeks later...

They may track but I don't think they care --they want your $$. I have used a coupon and walked right back in to the same store and used a second a few minutes later. I think my max was using 4-5 coupons in one day (going to several Borders)-- of course, that was back in the day when they had a better inventory.

Ahh, I remember the "good old days" when the 50% coupons came out. Printed a whole bunch of them, went to the store and had the cashier ring out each cd one by one till I ran out of coupons. That was when they had a jazz section that spilled over more than one display rack.

*sigh* Yeah, those were some good times.