Ahmad Jamal/Lee Konitz

Hardbopjazz

Wow this looks like it will be a great concert. I will have to go to this.

Jazz Jam

Ahmad Jamal/Lee Konitz

Fri-Sat, Feb 25-26, 8:00pm

Rose Theater

Miles Davis famously said that he wanted to have a son who could play piano like Ahmad Jamal. It's easy to hear why Jamal has been hailed as one of the major architects of modern jazz piano, with his irresistible gift for melody, his appealingly broad and open harmonic palette, and his astonishing rhythmic drive. Lee Konitz is a master saxophonist and one of the great living improvisers of our time. Sixty years ago, Konitz helped Miles Davis and Gerry Mulligan invent "Cool Jazz," and ever since, has been showing generations of jazz musicians how it's done.

This concert is available as part of our Jazz Jam Series subscription package.

• 2 months later...

Jamal appears with bassist James Cammack, drummer Manolo Badrena, and drummer Joey Baron.

Konitz appears with Dan Tepfer, bassist Marc Johnson, drummer Joey Baron.

Come experience two jazz masters leading their own bands in this outstanding double bill.

http://www.jalc.org/concerts/details309a.asp?EventID=2367

Wish I could go but I'm lightyears away...so to speak!

Kalli

Edited by Tee

Jamal appears with bassist James Cammack, drummer Manolo Badrena, and drummer Joey Baron.

Konitz appears with Dan Tepfer, bassist Marc Johnson, drummer Joey Baron.

Come experience two jazz masters leading their own bands in this outstanding double bill.

http://www.jalc.org/concerts/details309a.asp?EventID=2367

Wish I could go but I'm lightyears away...so to speak!

Kalli

When I bought my ticket at the box office, I asked the woman if they were playing together or with their own bands. She said "I believe together." Oh well, it is still going to be a great night of music.

I saw Lee Konitz a few weeks ago at the "newer" Yoshis in San Francisco. Great playing, humorous guy. I ventured backstage after the set to get him to sign a CD booklet. Told him I was a big fan. He looked me up and down. "You don't look so big," he said. :)

ROTFLMAO! Thank you, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Haha...if you like that, you should have heard him throughout the set. He has a wicked sense of humor. He introduced his drummer, a talented Israeli guy named Ziv Ravitz who shaves his head, as "baldy". He was also challenging the crowd with song titles all night and throwing zingers our way.

Haha...if you like that, you should have heard him throughout the set. He has a wicked sense of humor. He introduced his drummer, a talented Israeli guy named Ziv Ravitz who shaves his head, as "baldy".

Yes, that is an amazingly keen sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dmitry

Well, the make up of the audience proves they came to see Ahmad Jamal and not Lee Konitz. Just your normal sort of people, who don't have much desire to challenge their brains while listening to the toons.

Like I said, it' a gorgeous venue, easily one of the best I've been to. The acoustics is very good, even up in the cheap seats, where we were.

Rose%20Hall%2010-18.jpg