Hank Mobley & Paul Gayten Orchestra

romualdo

Some, but not all, are available on this ACE CD

Regal Records In New Orleans

Offhand, I don't think there are any Hank solos but I could be wrong, I don't have it to hand at the moment.

Update- here is a track listing

1 'I'll Never Be Free' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (3:00)

2 'Yeah Yeah Yeah!' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:53)

3 'You Ought To Know' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:19)

4 'You Shouldnt' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:29)

5 'Confused' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:51)

6 'Bear Hug' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:47)

7 'Ohhh La La!' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:25)

8 'My Last Goodbye' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:54)

9 'I Aint Gonne Let You In' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:31)

10 'Kickapoo Juice' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:41)

11 'Each Time' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (3:06)

12 'Fishtails' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (3:10)

13 'Suzette' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:48)

14 'Happy Birthday To You' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (1:30)

15 'For You My Love' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (1:32)

16 'Back Ing Aka Dr Daddy O' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:57)

17 'Gold Aint Everything' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Paul Gayten' (2:54)

18 'Baby Whats New?' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (2:55)

19 'My Rough And Ready Man' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (2:27)

20 'I Aint Gonna Let You In' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (2:31)

21 'Low Down Feeling' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (3:13)

22 '3x7=21' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (2:15)

23 'Dont Marry Too Soon' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Annie Laurie' (3:43)

24 'Messy Bessy' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Dave Bartholomew' (3:16)

25 'Nickel Wine' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Dave Bartholomew' (2:34)

26 'Riding High' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Roy Brown' (2:46)

27 'Brand New Baby' from 'Regal Records In New Orleans' by 'Roy Brown' (2:53)

Edited by Steve Gray

I have listened to 'Regal Records In New Orleans' again now.

There IS a tenor solo on "Yeah Yeah Yeah' - typical honking tenor of the period with nothing to distinguish it as being Hank

'Each Time' has a very straight laced tenor obbligato to a very straight laced piano solo. Nothing that need get anyone excited.

Apart from that, nothing. PG's vocals and Eddie Barefield are featured on other tracks.

Al Armstrong (tp) Eddie Barefield (cl, as) Hank Mobley (ts) Frank Campbell (bars) Paul Gayten (p, vo) Larry Gains (b) unknown (d) The Coleman Brothers (vocal group -1,2)

NYC, 1950-1951

1. 1329 Goodnight Irene Regal 3281

2. 1330 Oh, La La -

3. 1333 Gold Ain't Everything Regal 3282

4. 1334 Suzette -

5. 1392 If You Got The Money Regal 3302

6. 1393 I'm So Crazy For Love -

7. 1426 Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Regal 3312

8. 1427 Each Time -

9. Baby I'm Alone Regal 3329

10. Little Girl Little Girl

• 2 years later...

Today I found a copy of Regal 3312 on 78 - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!/Each Time by Paul Gayten. These are the two tunes mentioned above as having tenor solos. The "Yeah!" solo is indeed pretty anonymous, but the tenor on "Each Time" sounds more Mobley-esque. I wonder if the Ace CD mentioned above has a different take of "Each Time"; Mobley duets with a whistler (!), not with Gayten's piano.

Strictly for research purposes, I've digitized and uploaded these two sides from my 78. Listen and see what you think.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Each Time

It might sound creepy, but in both solos it sounds like Mobley has his lips on the reed where Mobley had his lips on the reed to sound like Mobley. Everything else, mouthpiece/reed setup, amount of air being blown, maybe even throat opening, sounds un-Mobley-like. But any sax player has a certain spot on the reed that they put their lips to get their "ideal" vibration. If you play long enough, you can feel it in your sound and in somebody else's. I hear it here in Mobley's, not so much tone, but in the vibrations inside the tone.

Then again, maybe I'm making myself hear that. But I listen to tones of players I feel very closely, and I have done so with Mobley's for many years. So if I'm wrong, I'm a convinced wrong. :g

thanks for the needledrop, out of the whole session, whats the best hank selection? prior to this the only song ive heard i believe is goodnight irene. knowing its hank in advance, i can feel out its really hank on both these sides, moreso on the ballad, as you all say. the whistling/sax combo is definetly a unique item in hanks recorded catalog!

Jeff

thanks for uploading those files from your newly aquired 78 - now have them in iTunes, beefing up my Mobley collection

nice to have some early Hank - don't have any of his Regal material

is that him soloing with the whistler (Paul Gayten I presume)?

Well, it's allegedly Mobley - he's listed as the tenor player on these sides in discographies, like this one. Discography not being a perfect science, I posted the tracks so folks could listen and form their own opinions. The label of "Each Time" reads "Whistling by Bill." Who Bill was, I don't know, but he's the only person other than Gayten who is identified on the labels.

Today I found a copy of Regal 3312 on 78 - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!/Each Time by Paul Gayten. These are the two tunes mentioned above as having tenor solos. The "Yeah!" solo is indeed pretty anonymous, but the tenor on "Each Time" sounds more Mobley-esque. I wonder if the Ace CD mentioned above has a different take of "Each Time"; Mobley duets with a whistler (!), not with Gayten's piano.

Strictly for research purposes, I've digitized and uploaded these two sides from my 78. Listen and see what you think.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Each Time

It is definitely a different take. There is NO whistling on the take on the ACE CD. Unfortunately though it is still the same tune.

EDIT: Just found the CD case. It states that 'Each Time' features Eddie Barefield without mentioning the tenor player.

It also states that the tenor on 'Yeah Yeah Yeah' is Ray Abrams,

It implies that the take of 'Each Time' on the CD was the one actually issued on Regal 3312, seems they definitely got that one wrong.

Edited by Steve Gray