Charlie Parker Savoy & Dial Master Takes v. Complete Studio Sessio

Here is a long Amazon review by Kenny Washington posted in April, 2015 that discusses the pitch correction issue.

Thanks @bluesoul for the link. This helps us new jazzcollectors when trying to build a nice collection.

Now, which box is recommended to get? I see in the Kenny Washinton review that Savoy isn't sending out replacement disks anymore...  Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savoy was still sending out replacement discs only months before Kenny Washington posted his Amazon review. I doubt Savoy stopped doing so in the four months separating member hbbfam receiving his disc in January and Mr. Washington's April 26, 2015 review. Roughly ten members here received replacement discs between November 2014 and January 2015.

"They were offering replacement discs for awhile. The sad part is, Savoy doesn't really exist the way it did back then. They're still copies with the bad disc floating around out here and you can no longer get a replacement disc."

It's true there are still new shrink-wrapped sets being sold with the defective disc. These sets should have been recalled and had the defective disc replaced years ago before being put back up for sale.

But apparently Savoy have not run out of replacement discs. They are even willing to ship them overseas for free. Bravo.

Savoy was still sending out replacement discs only months before Kenny Washington posted his Amazon review. I doubt Savoy stopped doing so in the four months separating member hbbfam receiving his disc in January and Mr. Washington's April 26, 2015 review. Roughly ten members here received replacement discs between November 2014 and January 2015.

"They were offering replacement discs for awhile. The sad part is, Savoy doesn't really exist the way it did back then. They're still copies with the bad disc floating around out here and you can no longer get a replacement disc."

It's true there are still new shrink-wrapped sets being sold with the defective disc. These sets should have been recalled and had the defective disc replaced years ago before being put back up for sale.

But apparently Savoy have not run out of replacement discs. They are even willing to ship them overseas for free. Bravo.

@erwbol Thank you! I take this is the box to get then, to get the complete Dial and Savoy output from Bird?

Edited by Changeling
adding text

I am not recommending one set over another as far as sound quality is concerned. I am simply stating my suspicion that Savoy has not run out of replacement discs and are still willing to send them when asked politely.

Apparently Mr. Washington had a falling out with Savoy, so I would not take his statement about replacement discs no longer being available as a fact when only months before Savoy shipped at least ten of them to listeners worldwide.

• 8 years later...
57 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Bump.

Can anyone comment on the 2 different CD box sets?  Apparently, one was on Atlantic and one was on Definitive.

Thanks in advance.

Definitive is indeed non-official.  However, there was another official box set of the Dial material, from Mosaic:

NDMtNTEzNi5qcGVn.jpeg

It has all the Bird Dial material that's on the "Atlantic" box (really Savoy, but distributed by Atlantic when it first came out), plus a lot more great music besides.  It also has a different "hotter" mastering, courtesy of Jonathan Horwich (whatever happened to him?), which some people (Allan Lowe among others) disliked.  OOP, so now harder to find.

So for pure Bird, choose the "Atlantic" box.  But it's nice to have choices.

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

It has all the Bird Dial material that's on the "Atlantic" box (really Savoy, but distributed by Atlantic when it first came out), plus a lot more great music besides.  It also has a different "hotter" mastering, courtesy of Jonathan Horwich (whatever happened to him?), which some people (Allan Lowe among others) disliked.  OOP, so now harder to find.

Weirdly enough, this evening I started to read the January 2024 issue of Stereophile.  There, in the letters section, is a letter from Jonathan Horwich of Chicago, Illinois.  

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 PM, mjzee said:

Definitive is indeed non-official.  However, there was another official box set of the Dial material, from Mosaic:

NDMtNTEzNi5qcGVn.jpeg

So for pure Bird, choose the "Atlantic" box.  But it's nice to have choices.

just to correct, not that it was mastered too hot, but that there was a lot of distortion introduced with whatever system they used to re-do it.