Charlie Parker Savoy & Dial Master Takes v. Complete Studio Sessio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

413NB356BSL.jpg

(I did a search and could not find a thread on here already dealing with this issue, so this recent thread seemed like the place.)

I only recently found out about the issue with disc 4 of the initial pressing of the complete set through this amazon review.

Quote:"In the accompanying booklet, the track information is incorrect for a number of tracks on discs seven and eight. A more serious problem is that at least some copies of the set are still being sold with a defective version of disc four, on which most of the tracks are recorded about 10% too fast. If you already have the set, you can determine whether your copy of disc four is defective by checking the timing of the master take of "Donna Lee" (track 13): if the timing is 2:35, you have the pitch-corrected disc, but if it is 2:22, you have the defective disc and need to get a replacement. As of this writing, you can do that by contacting Savoy at inquiries@savoyjazz.com; after asking you a question to verify that you have the defective disc, they will send you a replacement."

I contacted Savoy through the above email address and today received my replacement disc even though it has been a decade since that review was written and even longer since the release of the complete set. I also received an erratum with a corrected track list for discs 4, 7 & 8.

I'm very grateful they shipped these items to me free of charge even though I live in Europe and intercontinental shipping is not exactly cheap these days.

PS The total time on the corrected disc 4 reads 67:48 on my CD player, the defective disc 65:10.

I didn't get this set until quite some time after it had been released, and didn't find out about the defective disc until much later, but when I did check it I discovered that I had the pitch-corrected disc.

I don't recall hearing about the tracklisting errata previously - is it just one page?

I didn't get this set until quite some time after it had been released, and didn't find out about the defective disc until much later, but when I did check it I discovered that I had the pitch-corrected disc.

I don't recall hearing about the tracklisting errata previously - is it just one page?

The erratum is four pages (A4) and a copy of a letter by Orrin Keepnews apologising to reviewers for the faulty review copy they received. I'll try to put up this info in a subsequent post. That could take a few weeks as I don't have a scanner at home.

This page also seems to contain a corrected track list, but it is not as conveniently structured and less complete (no master numbers, original issue etc.)

I received the corrected disk four years ago but never heard of the erratum. Didn't even know Savoy was still around.

I just took a look at the site and it looks pretty moribund.

Yes, the site looks moribund. It's impossible to find a contact email address on there unless you use Google. I contacted them on two email addresses, but the one from the Amazon review worked. My letter's post stamp was dated 5 November (I didn't send a second email on the alternative email address until 9 November). It was signed by Daniel Marx, Savoy Project Manager and Archivist (his box set credits).

413NB356BSL.jpg

(I did a search and could not find a thread on here already dealing with this issue, so this recent thread seemed like the place.)

I only recently found out about the issue with disc 4 of the initial pressing of the complete set through this amazon review.

Quote:"In the accompanying booklet, the track information is incorrect for a number of tracks on discs seven and eight. A more serious problem is that at least some copies of the set are still being sold with a defective version of disc four, on which most of the tracks are recorded about 10% too fast. If you already have the set, you can determine whether your copy of disc four is defective by checking the timing of the master take of "Donna Lee" (track 13): if the timing is 2:35, you have the pitch-corrected disc, but if it is 2:22, you have the defective disc and need to get a replacement. As of this writing, you can do that by contacting Savoy at inquiries@savoyjazz.com; after asking you a question to verify that you have the defective disc, they will send you a replacement."

I contacted Savoy through the above email address and today received my replacement disc even though it has been a decade since that review was written and even longer since the release of the complete set. I also received an erratum with a corrected track list for discs 4, 7 & 8.

I'm very grateful they shipped these items to me free of charge even though I live in Europe and intercontinental shipping is not exactly cheap these days.

PS The total time on the corrected disc 4 reads 67:48 on my CD player, the defective disc 65:10.

Did someone at Savoy respond to your e-mail, or did someone just mail to you the corrected CD and errata in response to your inquiry?

Thanks!

413NB356BSL.jpg

Did someone at Savoy respond to your e-mail, or did someone just mail to you the corrected CD and errata in response to your inquiry?

Thanks!

They never asked me to confirm I had a defective disc nor did they reply to my email enquiry. I just got sent the corrected disc 4 and erratum.

413NB356BSL.jpg

Thanks!

They never asked me to confirm I had a defective disc nor did they reply to my email enquiry. I just got sent the corrected disc 4 and erratum.

Thanks! I just wrote to them recently after happening upon this thread - I should have addressed this matter a long time ago.

I got my replacement disc in the mail today, shipped with the pages scanned above. This is an incredibly nice thing to do in this day and age, and my hat's off to whoever in Georgia sent this to me.

Got mine too just a couple of days ago. It's really remarkable that they're still doing this! Very cool.

gregmo

Add me to the list of those who have taken advantage of this offer to replace the defective disc. I sent an email on November 25 and today - 4 days later - my corrected disc arrived.

I find it amazing that they are still doing this years after the release of the set. They must also find it amazing that they are suddenly receiving requests based on the resurrection of this thread.

Thanks for bringing this to our collective attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of those who have taken advantage of this offer to replace the defective disc. I sent an email on November 25 and today - 4 days later - my corrected disc arrived.

I find it amazing that they are still doing this years after the release of the set. They must also find it amazing that they are suddenly receiving requests based on the resurrection of this thread.

Thanks for bringing this to our collective attention.

Received mine as well. Pretty amazing, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...