*** DVD CORNER ***

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of classics are making their way to DVD in September.

Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" is being released in a 2 disc special edition on September 7. And on September 21, Fellini's "La Dolce Vita" is getting the 2 disc deluxe treatment as well.

I'll be picking up both for sure!

Just wanted to report back and say that I picked up both DVDs and both I consider both of them "must-haves" if you are a fan of the films. Presentation and extras are exeptional on both.

Does anyone know if the newly released ' Strangers On A Train' is of better picture quality than the older version. I have the old one, with the US version as the main film and the UK version on the flip side, and although the picture quality is adequate it can't compare with 'Casablanca' or some of the other Warner classics. The best quality remastering I've seen on a black & white Hitchcock is still ' Rebecca' ( the Japanese release )

I think the Night Shamalyan contribution is a short feature on the 2nd disc.

Edited by kinuta

Does anyone know if the newly released ' Strangers On A Train' is of better picture quality than the older version. I have the old one, with the US version as the main film and the UK version on the flip side, and although the picture quality is adequate it can't compare with 'Casablanca' or some of the other Warner classics. The best quality remastering I've seen on a black & white Hitchcock is still ' Rebecca' ( the Japanese release )

I think the Night Shamalyan contribution is a short feature on the 2nd disc.

According to the DVD Savant website this version looks much better than the earlier, 1997, version that you mention.

I've got my eye on that new Clerks X 3-disc set. Anybody else picked this one up yet, and if so, any comments? Sorry if it's already been mentioned, i haven't read this thread in a while...

Looks to have the theatrical release, the original cut film fest cut, and a disc of all sorts of other stuff...

B0002DRDBE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Check out this link for a side-by-side comparison of the different versions of Strangers on a Train:

DVD Beaver

If you're not familiar with this website, it is a great resource for DVD comparisons, especially foreign films and classics. Hours of enjoyment!

This is a fantastic site. Just for a sample, I took a look at how they were rating Godard's 'Breathless'.

Illuminating! I'll check the site from now on before making further DVD purchases.

Thank you, billyboy.

Wish there was an equivalent site to evaluate the jazz discs reissues as grafically!

Check out this link for a side-by-side comparison of the different versions of Strangers on a Train:

DVD Beaver

If you're not familiar with this website, it is a great resource for DVD comparisons, especially foreign films and classics.  Hours of enjoyment!

Amazing stuff!

Thanks billyboy!

I was browsing through the Amazon DVD site and discovered that they're selling some box sets insanely cheaply. First seasons of Simpsons and 24 for $14.99 each!

Was just going to post this info as well! Saw a link at www.thedigitalbits.com and figured the $14.99 was used copies, but no!!! More titles like King of the Hill, Buffy, Futurama(all first seasons only) check 'em out!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-f...8602282-4872952

• 4 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on the new Marx Brothers DVD box that's coming out Tuesday.

Wagstaff: Members of the faculty, faculty members, students of Huxley and Huxley students - I guess that covers everything. Well, I thought my razor was dull until I heard this speech. And that reminds me of a story that's so dirty I'm ashamed to think of it myself. As I look over your eager faces, I can readily understand why this college is flat on its back. The last college I presided over, things were slightly different. I was flat on my back. Things kept going from bad to worse but we all put our shoulders to the wheel and it wasn't long before I was flat on my back again.

Just picked up the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol 2. Great, great stuff. Many of the favorites that didn't make vol. 1 are here, including One Froggy Evening, What's Opera Doc, The Great Piggy Bank Caper and The Three Little Bops (well, one of my favorites). Still missing the Daffy/Porky feature where they are Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but that will hopefully be on vol. 3

One thing worthy of note is that the one where Daffy blows himself up by drinking nitroglycerine and uranium (Show Biz Bugs) is uncut for the first time in a long time. That is great news for adult fans of the cartoons, but you might want to skip over that if you have young impressionable children -- and a lot of uranium about the house.

Eric

Just picked up the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol 2. Great, great stuff. Many of the favorites that didn't make vol. 1 are here, including One Froggy Evening, What's Opera Doc, The Great Piggy Bank Caper and The Three Little Bops (well, one of my favorites). Still missing the Daffy/Porky feature where they are Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but that will hopefully be on vol. 3

One thing worthy of note is that the one where Daffy blows himself up by drinking nitroglycerine and uranium (Show Biz Bugs) is uncut for the first time in a long time. That is great news for adult fans of the cartoons, but you might want to skip over that if you have young impressionable children -- and a lot of uranium about the house.

Eric

"That Big Bad Wolf, he learned the rule

you got to get hot to play real cool"

It is SO good to finally have "The Three Little Bops"----one of my favorites. I hope Volume 3 also includes "Ali Baba Bunny" and all the rest of the Marvin Martian cartoons. (I also hope it comes out soon.) It's criminal that they don't show these on TV anymore. I can't imagine growing up without them.

Just picked up the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol 2. Great, great stuff.

It is terrific stuff. I've barely gotten started but I can tell there is a lot to enjoy, especially as there are so many commentaries and lot of cool extras.

Speaking of extras, on Disc 4 I saw something called "Orange Blossoms For Violet" and clicked that on. Oh...my...gawd! I had forgotten all about the use of live dressed up monkeys with other other animals in short features. The early shots of monkeys mixing with dogs & goats nearly busted my gut. It um, got a little disturbing after awhile, but it was a big surprise to see on the DVD set.

Man, I never saw these cartoons looking so nice! :tup