*** DVD CORNER ***

I'm rather perturbed that I spent the money for a "boxed set" of The Office (no box involved, just 2 cases with season 1 & 2 shrinkwrapped together) and now there's a set that includes all that PLUS the subsequent special (which I just saw on TV). Grrrrrrrr.

It is a wonderful show. Initiating people to it is a treat - they cannot believe what they just saw. And for those who live the office life, it often hits too close to home.

Mike

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

Someone gave me a $50 gift card for some electronics type outift -- can't remember the name right now, never been in there before and probably will never go there again -- and after wondering around the store and being aurally assaulted in every department, I finally stumbled across and very happily bought the complete BBC version (and original, obviously) of The Office. Wonderful series. While critics have been generous in their praise of the American version of this show, MY GOD! The Brit series is so darned superior in every way.

By the way, may I make a suggestion? Please be careful with the subtle spoilers. I was at episode two of the first series when I read the comment on redemption. Astute, yes but please remember: some have yet to see this highly worthwhile show.

PS: Wonderful extras of the complete set. :tup (I imagine I could watch hours of Gervais and Merchant riffing off one another.)

Edited by Chaney

By the way, may I make a suggestion?  Please be careful with the subtle spoilers.  I was at episode two of the first series when I read the comment on redemption.  Astute, yes but please remember: some have yet to see this highly worthwhile show.

Yikes, I'm sorry, never thought about that! :blush::blush::blush:

Guest Chaney

By the way, may I make a suggestion?  Please be careful with the subtle spoilers.  I was at episode two of the first series when I read the comment on redemption.  Astute, yes but please remember: some have yet to see this highly worthwhile show.

You're dead to me!

:P

You're dead to me!

:P

FarSide15.JPG

Still waiting for Apatow and the rest of these guys to do a movie as good as Freaks and Geeks (or Larry Sanders, and The Ben Stiller Show).

But we all know that television as a medium has been on the whole smarter than the movies for quite a while now..

Yes, that is so true. Seems that it would be easier to put out an excellent 90 minute movie, than to "crank" out a half hour/hour show every week(Well, 22 weeks) with more budget constraints, but that ain't the case.

Has anyone seen "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind"? The movie about Gong Show creator/CIA contract killer Chuck Barris?

I'd love to know how much, if any, of the stuff about his extra-curricular activities was true ...

I've seen it. Definitely some interesting bits, particularly when Chuck is on the loose in Europe. Very hard to believe any of the spy stuff was true. More like Andy Kauffman pulling your leg and never letting on that it was a gag.

Has anyone seen "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind"? The movie about Gong Show creator/CIA contract killer Chuck Barris?

I'd love to know how much, if any, of the stuff about his extra-curricular activities was true ...

I've seen it. Definitely some interesting bits, particularly when Chuck is on the loose in Europe. Very hard to believe any of the spy stuff was true. More like Andy Kauffman pulling your leg and never letting on that it was a gag.

Fun movie though!

Guy

Still waiting for Apatow and the rest of these guys to do a movie as good as Freaks and Geeks (or Larry Sanders, and The Ben Stiller Show).

But we all know that television as a medium has been on the whole smarter than the movies for quite a while now..

Yes, that is so true. Seems that it would be easier to put out an excellent 90 minute movie, than to "crank" out a half hour/hour show every week(Well, 22 weeks) with more budget constraints, but that ain't the case.

Modern movies are all about the "package," which equals stars, concept, and advertising. Execution doesn't count, because all they want is a big opening weekend. (Plus, they're aimed at a teenage audience because adults mostly stay at home -- watching TV.)

On TV they have less money and time, so that the writing becomes more important.

Any wonder TV takes the holds the esthetic high ground these days?

Hey, BruceH,

Have you seen (soon to be available on DVD) Wedding Crashers yet?

No, I haven't. I heard that Christopher Walken is wasted in it, which, if true, is bad news.

Well, "wasted" is kind of harsh. Let's say that they don't exploit all of the man's abilities.

Movie's a good summer comedy, though. Wilson and Vaughan in their best manner. And a nice late surprise cameo by another major comedian. Plus, the women in this are real, funny characters, unlike the generic place-holders in, say, Meet the Parents.

Edited by Kalo

1 Adam-12, 1 Adam 12....Man, I watched this all the time as a wee one...Coming out this Tuesday.

Did you know Martin Milner made his first film in 1947? :blink:

B0009UC80Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

He also played hot young jazz guitarist Steve Dallas in "Sweet Smell of Success" where he got on the wrong side of Burt Lancaster's J.J. Hunsecker.

I always thought that Milner was the weak link in The Sweet Smell of Success, which is one of my favorite movies. Not least because of the fact that he replaces Jim Hall in the Chico Hamilton band (visually, at least), denying Hall his rightful niche in cinema history!

1 Adam-12, 1 Adam 12....Man, I watched this all the time as a wee one...Coming out this Tuesday.

Did you know Martin Milner made his first film in 1947? :blink:

B0009UC80Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

He also played hot young jazz guitarist Steve Dallas in "Sweet Smell of Success" where he got on the wrong side of Burt Lancaster's J.J. Hunsecker.

I always thought that Milner was the weak link in The Sweet Smell of Success, which is one of my favorite movies. Not least because of the fact that he replaces Jim Hall in the Chico Hamilton band (visually, at least), denying Hall his rightful niche in cinema history!

But the young chick in Sweet Smell, Hunsecker's sister, never would have gone for Jim Hall!

But the young chick in Sweet Smell, Hunsecker's sister, never would have gone for Jim Hall!

She was fine! I don't think she appeared in any other films.

Are you saying that chicks don't dig bald, bespectacled guitarists?

As a bald, bespectacled guitarist, I resemble that.

I mean resent that.

She was fine! I don't think she appeared in any other films.

Are you saying that chicks don't dig bald, bespectacled guitarists?

As a bald, bespectacled guitarist, I resemble that.

I mean resent that.

The IMDB shows Joan Harrison appearing in one other film in 1960 and in a bunch of TV shows. I'd like to know who played the awkward female jazz fan who tries to strike up a conversation with Milner betwen sets. Her very brief role seems to be a dig at a certain kind of jazz fan.