ebay madness re: vinyl

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

For a 10" LP lasting about 20 minutes, that's about $200 a minute ! Prices on these Tempos are nuts.

I'll stick with my £5 Jasmine reissue, which sounds good enough to me. :)

Actually, it's a 12", so the music is a bargain at $100 a minute.

At this level of craziness, it's not about sound. There are some rich nut cases out there willing to shell out some very serious coin. I've got the Jasmine, and it's a good quality reissue.

A record? :o

$5,016 for this Jackie McLean New Tradition

Do you own a copy in better condition? I bet so! ;)

About 15 years ago or so, I brokered a transaction for a friend of mine who received $500 for a mint condition of this Adlib McLean debut record. My friend's long gone now, but had he lived, this price might have done him in!

Actually, it's a 12", so the music is a bargain at $100 a minute.

At this level of craziness, it's not about sound. There are some rich nut cases out there willing to shell out some very serious coin. I've got the Jasmine, and it's a good quality reissue.

Ah - I'm thinking of the other one ('A New Sound', I think it's called).

Agreed on the sound of the Jasmine reissue - and indeed most of the rest of this series. Have picked up most of them by now, which should save me about $10K+ on Tempos. :D

Edited by sidewinder

This is easily the highest I've seen this Jackie McLean original reach, brilliant though it is:

Destination Out

Could the 'highest bidder' really be Rudy Van Gelder? :o

That's a $200 record on it's BEST day. Jeesh--two fools who just HAD TO HAVE IT!

Of course, when Ron say a record is NM it looks brand new. He is the best seller in terms of grading I have ever dealt with. He won't even sell the VG stuff--he doesn't feel right about it--but he will horse-trade!

Ron has all of Leon's records--rooms full of Blue Notes.

Isn't ebay a hoot?

Edited by Allan Songer

This is easily the highest I've seen this Jackie McLean original reach, brilliant though it is:

Destination Out

Could the 'highest bidder' really be Rudy Van Gelder? :o

$621... Yikes ! :huh::wacko:

Interesting!

Two other McLean BNs from the same seller reached similar prices.

'Let Freedom Ring' went up to $563, 'It's Time' went up to $511!

Got all three in excellent condition. All mono originals. 'Destination Out' was purchased directly at the BN offices on 61st Str. shortly after it was released. Got if from Frank Wolff direct!

Bought these because I was (and still am) a diehard McLean fan. Did not realize then I was making an investment!

Bought a bunch of vinyls when I visited the BN offices twice. Standard prices for review copies (no Review stamps on those I got there) was $2,50 each.

I was not wise enough to ask Frank Wolff to sign the copies. He would probably have shied away from doing it anyway!

Actually, looks like the prices of vintage BN vinyls are on the way up!

Prices for auctioned items in the last few days on eBay include the following BN:

- $619 for Sonny Clark's 'Sonny's Crib',

- $565 for Kenny Burrell at the Five Spot,

- $536 for Kenny Burrell's BN 1543 (with autograph from KB), $500 for a similar unsigned LP,

- $525 for Kenny Dorham's 'Afro-Blue',

- $511 for Herbie Hancock 'Maiden Voyage',

- $453 for Wayne Shorter's 'Speak No Evil',

- $418 for George Braith's 'Two Souls In One',

- $407 for Johnny Coles' 'Little Johnny C',

- $404 for Lee Morgan's 'Lee-Way'

not to mention higher prices for rare items ($1625 for Sonny Clark's 'Cool Struttin'', $1141 for the Sonny Clark Trio, $1136 for Lee Morgan's 'Candy')!

:crazy::)

The 1543 price is OK, as is the 4034. $619 for a really nice 1576 isn't crazy. But the other prices are flat-out WACK-O. REALLY, REALLY WACK-O. And when you start talkin' "Candy" or "Cool Struttin'" all bets are off--those titles have been nutty expensive for YEARS.

the sonny's crib, 1576 , was a non-ear version which means it probably was pressed after Liberty records bought blue Note. totally crazy!

recently higher prices reflect drop in dollar against Euro and Yen. if the trend continues....forgettaboutit!

I am paid in Euros, and I tried to get some of these records, but I was outbidded by a guy whose nickname was rudy_van_gelder, living in US, so your theory has some holes.

Edited by porcy62