ebay madness re: vinyl

recently higher prices reflect drop in dollar against Euro and Yen. if the trend continues....forgettaboutit!

I am paid in Euros, and I tried to get some of these records, but I was outbidded by a guy whose nickname was rudy_van_gelder, living in US, so your theory has some holes.

just as tourism increases in Europe when the dollars strengthens, lps priced in dollars draw more foreign bidders when the dollars drops, cause they are getting more back for the buck, (or should I say yen). Great majority of high bids coming from overseas.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recently higher prices reflect drop in dollar against Euro and Yen. if the trend continues....forgettaboutit!

I am paid in Euros, and I tried to get some of these records, but I was outbidded by a guy whose nickname was rudy_van_gelder, living in US, so your theory has some holes.

just as tourism increases in Europe when the dollars strengthens, lps priced in dollars draw more foreign bidders when the dollars drops, cause they are getting more back for the buck, (or should I say yen). Great majority of high bids coming from overseas.

It's an economical law and I agree, but I think that collecting rare jazz records has more to do with psychiatry.

If you have done a survey on a representative sample of recent bidders I have no objections.

Edited by porcy62

That's okay; the records have holes as well... ;)

That's okay; the records have holes as well... ;)

So has my wallett... :g

As per the page-ago discussion, yeah, I saw the Shorter and the Hancock. That's just ridiculous - five times what those records are worth! I'm not doubting some of the 1500 and early 4000 series records being rare in top condition and fundamentally hip, but a mono Jackie Mc or Herbie title from the mid-60s doesn't need to be that expensive. Reminds me of when BYGs got uber-collectible for a minute, and some buffoon paid $150 for Tarik. BNs are more in-demand, of course, but those are crazy prices. I've surely paid a lot for rare records, but even I have to ask - where do these people come from?!? :blink::crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just sold a bunch of dupes on ebay. I was hoping to get 7-800 for the 26 records and I got 1800. CRAZY!!

I mean, I LOVE getting these prices, but these copies were pretty beat--VG-. Seems like even the beat records are selling well--used to be you needed to have someing VG++ to get this kind of money. Not any more!! Jeesh . . .

LIGHTS OUT!

Saxophone Colossus

Watkins At Large

Mobley's Message

I just sold a bunch of dupes on ebay. I was hoping to get 7-800 for the 26 records and I got 1800. CRAZY!!

I mean, I LOVE getting these prices, but these copies were pretty beat--VG-. Seems like even the beat records are selling well--used to be you needed to have someing VG++ to get this kind of money. Not any more!! Jeesh . . .

LIGHTS OUT!

Saxophone Colossus

Watkins At Large

Mobley's Message

Wow, high prices indeed, I sold a VG copy of Saxophone Colossus (NYC lbl) with a water-damaged moldy cover for a bit over $200 last year on ebay. Guess I'm gonna have to list some stuff soon (I don't think I have anything left that would grade below VG+). :huh:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would to share someinpressions about the topic.

Everybody here talks about Blue Note madness, how high are now NM original press especially Lex, NY 23, and W63. And fifty more albums that are very expensive ( Colossus, Overseas, Jaro, Ad Lib Transition etc...). I've been collecting for ten years, an believe it or not, i eventually got tired of Blue Note ! I have many BN originals, including some of the most sought after (i don't say : Rare), i spent a lot of money buying them, and i realized that, altghough Blue Note albums are wonderful there are many non-BN album that are as hip, as groovy, as funky, as interesting as Blue Note ! Here are some of my favourite :

Tony Fruscella ! Don Sleet (this one is worth 50 $ ! imagine with a BN number : 500 or +), Tommy Turrentine on Time ! Warne Marsh ! Many Epics (Chartlie Rouse, Dave Bailey), Rocky Boyd, Rene Thomas (Guitar Groove : worth 50 $ ! one of the greatest guitar albums ! ) Rolf Kuhn (Streamline : worth 120 $) Sonny Criss on Imperial etc, many Prestige, Riverside, Savoy

I think that it is still possible to build an interesting collection (of course, far from the 75000 records fantasm ! ), with rare and desirable records. in fact, only Blue Note prices are growing senselessly. For many records, prices are stable. And -, you can still find them for a bargain. I paid 160 $ for a NM copy of Warm Woods on Ebay, 275 for Rocky Boyd etc... Most of the time, 1000+ prices are commanded by 1) the reputation of the dealer, 2) the "i-want-this-record- no matter-what price" state of mind, and the competition between two bidders. Remember the Monk RLP 242 that sold 3000 $ at Atomic ! if i try to sell my copy, it will probably reach 250. Period.

Here's one i've never seen (in fact : one time on Anthony Pearson auction ) : Will Davis Trio "have mood, will call", on Sue LP 1011. I'd really like to catch this one.

Thanks for comments !

Michel

But it wasn't that long ago that the Rocky Boyd was a $50 record... and I've seen the Booker Little on Time crack $300 on a couple of occasions, when it too used to be $40-$50 (and probably should still be). So I think the prices are pretty high - but I agree that BNs are the highest, despite the fact that they're not all the "best" in the hardbop genre.

But it wasn't that long ago that the Rocky Boyd was a $50 record... and I've seen the Booker Little on Time crack $300 on a couple of occasions, when it too used to be $40-$50 (and probably should still be).

quote]

Certainly ! i've a NM copy of the Booker Little on Time, (paid it 40 $) and i've seen many times selling for more than 150 $ on ebay : This is nonsense ! It's definitely not a very good session.