Art Pepper's Artist's House Sessions

AndrewHill

I have all three on hold for a reasonable $17 for all three. They seem legit because Laurie Pepper's name is listed in the credits on the back of the cd. They are the produced by some co. called "Audiophile Productions" I think. The real question is, are these worth acquiring? I love his Contemporary material, but don't know much about his music when he was released from prison and signed with Galaxy etc. So can you guys recommend these? Is this a good batch of records?

Thanks,

Bill (Holy Ghost)

My memory is that So In Love is the best of the 3 (esp'ly the title tune) and it's worth $17 by itself. However, post-prison Pepper (which includes some on Contemporary)is a different animal than pre-, and not to everyone's tastes. Much more overtly 'expressive', sometimes selfconsciously so, but it usually works for me, YMMV, etc.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I have all three on hold for a reasonable $17 for all three. They seem legit because Laurie Pepper's name is listed in the credits on the back of the cd. They are the produced by some co. called "Audiophile Productions" I think. The real question is, are these worth acquiring? I love his Contemporary material, but don't know much about his music when he was released from prison and signed with Galaxy etc. So can you guys recommend these? Is this a good batch of records?

Thanks,

Bill (Holy Ghost)

It's very good 'late' Pepper and for that price it's a steal!