Blue Note oddity-- immediate help requested

Can't recall any concrete online sources but remember having read about this label somewhere out there along time ago. So the history must be documented somwhere on the web.

Those 78s look like period repressings of BN 78rpm releases to me (maybe a budget line or some license for other markets?) but can't be THAT rare. I remember picking up two (swing-style) Blue Note recordings from the 40s issued on that Climax label at a fairly affordable price a couple of years ago.

GEORGE LEWIS And His New Orleans Stompers

"Dont Go 'Way Nobody"

"Careless Love Blues"

with Avery "Kid" Howard, Jim Robinson, Lawrence Marrero, Edgar Mosley, Chester Zardis

CLIMAX 105, 12" 78 RPM. "Distributed by Blue Note Records, N.Y.C"

Can you just put the $1,000,000 into my PayPal account? Let me know if that works for you and I'll provide you with the details.

Thanks.

The Climax label was created in 1943 during the American Federation of Musicians recording ban.

Writer Bill Russell organized a recording session by George Lewis and his musicians in New Orleans but did not take the chance to release the music. He offered the best numbers from the session to Alfred Lion who released them on the newly created label.

(Informations from The Blackwell Guide to Recorded Jazz by Barry Dean Kernfeld).

Now what's my take on the reward?!?

These were George Lewis's first recordings as leader. Lion thought that the recording quality (they were made on Bill Russell's portable disc cutter at the Gypsy Tea Room in New Orleans) wasn't good enough for the Blue Note label, hence the Climax subsidiary.

I'll take twenty bucks.

Edited by jeffcrom

Might well be. The items came from a European seller.

But the "Not Licensed for Radio Broadcast" imprint is rather atypical for European pressings. Usually they had the entire "Unauthorized public performance prohibited ..." or "All rights of the owner of the recorded work ..." blurb (or the like) in small print around the outer circumference.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

For when this e-bay auction expires and disappears, here's the image...

post-171-129807099223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I will say their choice of font (a rather clunky one, actually) for the letters in CLIMAX -- perhaps coupled with such a long word being spelled out vertically -- is rather freakish looking. And especially because the word has an "I" in the middle of it -- which, frankly, looks like crap when a word is spelled vertically, especially with such a wide letter like "M" immediately following it.

C

L

I

M

A

X

So, yeah, I can understand being a little bit freaked out by it -- at least from a design perspective. Any way you look at it, that "CLIMAX" label looks like shit, IMHO, like a very cheap knock-off of Blue Note (VERY cheap).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...