Blu-rays anyone?

Sorry if this topic was posted before. In addition to jazz, my main passion is film. The advent of Blu-ray is a great way to rediscover classic films and watch new ones. A couple recent purchases: The Social Network and the Toy Story 3. Plus Criterion just released its 50% off code, which I used to preorder Au Revoir Les Enfants and Solaris. I'm also looking forward to picking up True Grit, King's Speech and Mad Men season 4, coming out soon.

I don't know if I'll ever try Blu-Ray; DVD may have been my last format. With the convenience of Netflix, I just don't see the point of owning (and storing) everything I want to watch. I think I'm cured!

Well, chances are DVD players will likely go the way of the VHS player, so we will all have to get Blu-ray players.... but I have no interest at this point in getting a player...or the discs....

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, one thing is for sure: DVDs have never looked better to me than they do on my, Shawn's and my friend Dave's Blu-Ray players. They look amazingly good.

I listened to (more than watched) most of Neil Young's "Le Noise" tonight on Blu-Ray. I have some hopes for great musical Blu-Rays to come.

Agreed...the Neil Young Archives part 1 is an amazing example of what can be produced to comprehensively package a 10-year output of an artist, with solid sound quality and artwork. I'd give anything to get this kind of treatment for certain jazz musicians. There would need to be extensive artist involvement as it was Neil's personal touch and commitment to the best sonics that made his archives worthwhile on BD.

Edited by EyeSpeech

I like blu-ray, but I seldom buy anymore. My rule now is that I *have* to be *very* likely to watch a film several times to buy it at all, regardless of the format. I've downloaded films from Netflix through my Wii, but I've never been very happy with the picture quality.

That said, I may buy the new Coen Brothers "True Grit" when it comes out. Just watched it (late release in Europe), and I thought it was really outstanding.

gregmo

Living in a big city, with dozens of theaters close home, I don't need any player for new realesed movies. And if I lost something in winter, in summer they are showed in open arenas with reduced price. Plus I try to catch all the classics when they are showed at movieclubs. Actually when my dvd player failed I didn't buy a new one. I didn't buy dvd either, I used to rent them, but since the rental disappeared...

Edited by porcy62

I chose my blu ray player based on having the Netflx app (it also has Vudu, Cinemanow, Amazon On Demand, Youtube, Pandora, etc). I've played very few discs in it so far, it mostly gets used to access those streaming services. If you have a fast internet connection a good bit of content on these services is full 1080p, the quality will reduce if the connection is too slow.

These streaming features have really opened my eyes to alot of content (especially TV shows), which I would probably never have taken a chance on with disc rentals.

I'm not into streaming yet. Part of the problem is I have a relatively slow connection. The other issue is like Jazzbo I have an old-fashioned mindset about optical discs and tend to collect titles in the same way I did when VHS was king. But I also agree with Greg about only collecting movies that I'll watch repeatedly and, yes, True Grit will be one of those. King's Speech is, too. But even more than those, I'm interested in Mad Men 4. Been looking forward to that one since I saw MM 3 many moons ago. :)

Edited by EyeSpeech

I'm not into streaming yet. Part of the problem is I have a relatively slow connection. The other issue is like Jazzbo I have an old-fashioned mindset about optical discs and tend to collect titles in the same way I did when VHS was king. But I also agree with Greg about only collecting movies that I'll watch repeatedly and, yes, True Grit will be one of those. King's Speech is, too. But even more than those, I'm interested in Mad Men 4. Been looking forward to that one since I saw MM 3 many moons ago. :)

I'm going to have to rent the Mad Men series when I get back to the states. Everybody here seems to think it's great.

gregmo

• 9 months later...

I'm looking to purchase a few Criterion blu-rays for Christmas gifts (perhaps Kurosawa or Kubrick). Any tips on where they can be purchased most affordably? I've looked a bit at the big e-tailers and am wondering if there are any smaller specialty shops that offer better pricing. Thanks for any tips.

yeah, you ought to check it out. It takes a couple episodes to really get into, but once you're hooked there's nothing else quite as good currently in production.

I'm a huge fan of Mad Men, but I'm not sure Breaking Bad isn't right up there. Excellent stories and top notch acting. Terribly addictive.