Grant Green's "Carryin' On"

skeith

I picked this up at a used cd store this week and did not look too closely. When I got home I noticed it said "digital audio - cdr format" in small print on the tray card. Is that the only way this cd is available? I looked at the BLue Note website and couldn't find anything on this cd or anything about cdrs.

It was probably "manufactured on demand" - see the "CD-R note" on Amazon and click on "Learn more":

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

Thanks JAW - I know what CDR is. My question is : is this cd available other than as a cdr?

You apparently misunderstood my response - I wasn't telling you what a CD-R is, I was merely pointing out that CD-Rs of certain albums are "manufactured on demand" by Amazon; I thought you were asking about that.

The album was reissued on CD in 1995 and that one is now OOP. It's available from Amazon Marketplace sellers, as you can see when you click on the link in my earlier post. It might be a good idea to ask a seller what they're selling before placing an order, the 1995 CD (Blue Note 31247) or the CD-R.

Claude Bartee (ts) Emmanuel Riggins (org) Grant Green (g) Herbie Lewis (b) Idris Muhammad (d) Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 29, 19706478 I Can't Leave Your Love Alone Blue Note unissued 6479 Let Yourself Go - 6480 Love On A Two-Way Street - 6481 Green Acid - 6482 Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - 6483 Something - 6484 Let It Rain

whats been commented on this one again, its no 'trainwreck', right? i mean, what the f? mayeb the tape cannot be located. green acid? LET IT RAIN? omg. when will we hear this!!!!!!!!

-------------

re- unrel. cuts on carryin on, you have to admit the those two stick out like a sore thumb and wouldnt of fit on the album, although im glad GG was down w/ glenn campbell. grant really was hip to ALL the scenes, he even covered billy joel's just the way you are, cause he dug that one.

also that 2 song reuben wilson session, one cut "hold on im commin" made it to "the lost grooves"....but theres also ma cherrie amour, unreleased. that needs to get out too

Claude Bartee (ts) Emmanuel Riggins (org) Grant Green (g) Herbie Lewis (b) Idris Muhammad (d) Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 29, 19706478 I Can't Leave Your Love Alone Blue Note unissued 6479 Let Yourself Go - 6480 Love On A Two-Way Street - 6481 Green Acid - 6482 Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - 6483 Something - 6484 Let It Rain

whats been commented on this one again, its no 'trainwreck', right? i mean, what the f? mayeb the tape cannot be located. green acid? LET IT RAIN? omg. when will we hear this!!!!!!!!

-------------

re- unrel. cuts on carryin on, you have to admit the those two stick out like a sore thumb and wouldnt of fit on the album, although im glad GG was down w/ glenn campbell. grant really was hip to ALL the scenes, he even covered billy joel's just the way you are, cause he dug that one.

also that 2 song reuben wilson session, one cut "hold on im commin" made it to "the lost grooves"....but theres also ma cherrie amour, unreleased. that needs to get out too

Why? We already have the definitive Stevie Wonder version!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I managed to get an "official" copy at a reasonable price. I think the Penguin Guide, which I generally like, is a bit harsh in its review of this disc, yes there is an obvious tendency to go with the times here, maybe the material is not stellar, and maybe it is not strictly jazz, but I still like it.