Jobim

jazzbo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, I haven't seen that LP for years, but I'm 99.99634% certain that all of its content was included on "TLJG" (and/or some easily attainable Jobim CD). It's all a plot to fool you. Don't buy it.

BTW, is that the one with the girl in the waterfall on the cover? If so... maybe... ah, never mind. ;)

Al, I haven't seen that LP for years, but I'm 99.99634% certain that all of its content was included on "TLJG" (and/or some easily attainable Jobim CD). It's all a plot to fool you. Don't buy it.

Whew, that was close! Now, if you had been 99.99623% sure, that would've thrown some doubt into it and I would've immediately rushed back and bought it. Despite not having a turntable!

As for the cover, I don't remember any waterfalls; the cover was pretty garish though. (Say, what does "garish" mean, anyway?)

• 1 year later...

UP for air! We've just had a thread about Bossa Nova in general, and I was just sitting here listening to the Jobim Songbook series on Lumiar (great Brazilian label from recent years), and realized I had forgotten all about this thread. I can accept if their isn't tremendous interest on the board, but there are probably quite a few members who weren't here when this thread was last active (Pete C, for one).

It was mentioned in an article on Bossa Nova history that Jobim is better represented in jazz fake/real books than many american composers. There are something like a dozen Jobim tunes that are widely played. Have you (anybody who may be reading this) ever thought about how many Jobim tunes you know? He actually wrote something like 350 songs (okay, so he was no Steve Allen ;)), and was quick to point out in his later years that he did not consider himself a "Bossa Nova composer". So much of his work- especially in his later years when the true atmosphere of the original Bossa Nova era in Brazil was but a fading memory- was classically oriented, or at least "orchestral" in nature. Of course, many of the songs are so well written (with fantastic melodies) that an orchestra wasn't/isn't necessary to produce nice results. At any rate, if you're at all attracted to Jobim's music but haven't looked beyond those dozen or so standards, I would recommend checking out more of his work. Ten years after his passing, there continue to be tribute CD's by all kinds of artists (especially in Brazil).

I very often have had the experience of feeling like I already knew one of Jobim's more obscure tunes upon hearing it for what I knew to be the first time. It's kind of mysterious, but I think it only reaffirms for me how great a composer he was.

Al, sorry to be so late with this, but... you'll have to look "garish" up in the dictionary. :g

Hey, whaddya know! Two responses, both from fellow guitar players! :) Do either of you guys have any Jobim (or other Brazilian material) in your repertoires? I worked out a solo arrangement of "desafinado" a few years ago, which is fun to play. I also like to play "brigas, nunca mais", "esse seu olhar", and "o amor em paz", and "inutil paisagem", in addition to some of the bigger hits like "corcovado", "meditaçao", "wave", etc. "chega de saudade" has such great changes. I have to figure that tune out all over again every time I attempt it.

I know a few Jobim tunes...mostly the usual suspects. I really love playing these tunes. The changes are always so logically connected, and the melodies are so memorable. GFI, Wave, One Note Samba, How Insensitive, and Desafinado are currently in the rotation.

On a less serious but true note... I always make it a point to be up on a few Jobim tunes since "Hot" chicks tend to request his music and I aim to please... :lol:

You guys are way ahead of me. So Danco Samba is one that the trio does fairly regularly. We also used to do Useless Landscape (is that the one I'm thinking of?), which I like a lot. I've played a few of the other ones Sundog mentioned, but it's been a while. They do work great on guitar, for sure. Oh yeah, I learned a solo arrangement of Sad is to live in solitude... I can't even remember these titles, and my real book is nowhere to be found. Lame! :wacko:

Would love to hear (and see) Joe and the boys do "Brasil" as Jobim did in "Stone Flower."

The percussion on that song is incredible. Would love to see Randy tackle it. Jobim's spare electric keyboard touches weave in and out like some sultry Latin dancer.

Man, that song would get anybody HOT! :P

Reminds me of my tropical roots too.

A very good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless but his handle rhymes with Him Har) sent me a videotape a few years back of Merv Griffin interviewing Jobim at his home in Rio. Jobim came across as very gracious, just as he does in his music.

Terra Brasilis remains, for me, the pinnacle of Jobim's work, a sort of simultaneous looking back and looking ahead! The woodwinds and strings caress the heart, while the gentle rhythm carries me to worlds that I've only dreamed of.

If I ever get stuck on that proverbial desert island, I sure hope I have my copy of TB with me.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up again, Him.... I mean, Jim!

Did Jobim ever do a bad record? If he did it sure eluded me. If anybody rates the monster box(s) and the best possible remastering available treatment it is Tom Jobim. His recordings are sonically wonderful as is but if they can be made even better than they should be. I know his music has made a lot of my days.

A trumpeter friend of mine says he sometimes thinks that Jobim was some sort of sachem/seer that pulled melodies out of the air from ancient civilizations that resonated with human racial memory in the minds of listeners. . . .

Sometimes when I listen to Jobim, especially really early in the morning when most of the rest of the city is comatose (us old farts find sleep difficult often) . . . I really do know what he means!

Triste is the tune you're thinking of, Joe.

If You Never Come To Me is the one I was thinking of, too. That's a very good one, with that contrary motion in the beginning.

Love it. The contrary motion, some delicious chords (like the maj7#11 in the first measure), and those long sustained notes in the opening part of the melody. Perfect for a trombone (which my brother plays) or a french horn (which my mom plays)... or any instrument that shines when it comes to sustained notes- like a B3! :)

As you all probably know by now, "inutil paisagem" = "useless landscape" = "if you never come to me". And that's not the only Jobim tune with 3 titles! :wacko:

======

Lon, that's intersting stuff. I know Jobim took a great deal of inspiration from nature, but it would be interesting to learn more in detail about where his ideas came from. I have a feeling there is more info out there... in portuguese, that is. :rolleyes:

As you all probably know by now, "inutil paisagem" = "useless landscape" = "if you never come to me". And that's not the only Jobim tune with 3 titles! :wacko:

I don't feel so bad about getting that confused now! I knew that Useless Landscape was an alternate title for one of those tunes; I just couldn't remember which one.

Now available at Dusty Groove:

caymmi_dori_caymmivis_101b.jpg

Dorival Caymmi & Tom Jobim -- Caymmi Visita Tom . . . CD . . . $13.99  (Item: 78964)

Elenco (Brazil), 1963 Condition: New Copy    View Cart   

A landmark meeting of two Brazilian generations! The older singer/songwriter Dorival Caymmi meets up with Tom Jobim in this moody session of stripped-down tracks recorded in the famous Elenco style -- and the result is a classic album that spans two generations of Brazilian music. Dorival brought along children Nana, Danilo, and Dori Caymmi to the session, and the backing includes percussion by Edison Machado, guitar by Dori, and flute by Danilo. Tracks include "Sem Voce", "Berimbau", "Tristeza De Nos Dois", "Vai De Vez", and "Das Rosas".

Not easy to find, highly recommended.

Check out Gilberto Gil, another Brazilian great.

Well, yeah. Personally, I haven't heard anything yet by Gil that really knocked me out, but I know he's an accomplished veteran with a big following. At any rate, I would suggest starting another thread on him (just my opinion, I know it's a free country ;)). Brazilian music is a LARGE topic, and I think we would do well to try to spread the thread topics out. There's SO much more to discuss just in terms of Jobim, IMO. My hope is that we end up with threads here about some of the lesser-known Brazilian artists and recordings. But I know that will take time...

=====

Lon, I haven't heard (nor heard anything about) that D'Andrea disc, but I've seen the name pop up here and there. A quick search at Dusty G revealed that he appeared on a jazz session with Franco Ambrosetti (another artist I know only by name). Let us know how that turns out!

1294531.jpeg

Hmm... just found this when I went to the D'Andrea website:

This intriguing set features pianist Franco D'Andrea and his quartet playing 11 songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim, but not as bossa novas. Although some of the songs are quite famous, D'Andrea deconstructs them, turning them into post-bop explorations and stripping them of the Brazilian rhythms. He is joined by altoist Andrea Ayace (who is slightly reminiscent of Lee Konitz in spots), bassist Aldo Mella, and drummer Alex Rolle on very different versions of such songs as "Corcovado," "The Girl From Ipanema," "How Insensitive," and "Dindi." Listeners with an open mind toward the rich Jobim melodies will find this set to be of strong interest.

Scott Yanow, All Musica Guide

I try to keep an open mind, but I've heard similar things before that really didn't work for me (such as Victor Assis Brasil's "Jobim" album). At least not yet. Call me a purist. B)