Frank Foster honored

brownie

I personally enjoy Donald Byrd's Byrd's Word, with Foster, Hank Jones, Paul Chambers and Kenny Clarke, which has never been released in complete form on one cd. The easiest way to hear the complete session is to track down the Savoy cd reissue and download the stray track from a Savoy comp on iTunes.

Edited by Justin V

He may not be a giant (or an original) in the sense of an Ellington, Coltrane, Miles (etc.)--but of the living jazz musicians, he is right up there. I would consider his arranging skill to put him in the "giant" category. He arranged a heck of a lot of music for the Basie band, and look at his playing and arranging credits! Crazy long.

His playing was great, with influences of Lester, Stitt and later on-Coltrane. I don't think I can think of a player that owned Jumpin' at the Woodside quite like Foster (other than the original, Lester Young).

I'm not coming down on you, gregmo, in the least, but I needed to give props to Frank.

Props to Foss! :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Jazz Nut

He may not be a giant (or an original) in the sense of an Ellington, Coltrane, Miles (etc.)--but of the living jazz musicians, he is right up there. I would consider his arranging skill to put him in the "giant" category. He arranged a heck of a lot of music for the Basie band, and look at his playing and arranging credits! Crazy long.

His playing was great, with influences of Lester, Stitt and later on-Coltrane. I don't think I can think of a player that owned Jumpin' at the Woodside quite like Foster (other than the original, Lester Young).

I'm not coming down on you, gregmo, in the least, but I needed to give props to Frank.

Props to Foss! :tup:tup:tup

I have no problem at all giving props to Frank. Love his compositions, his arrangements, and his playing. He and Wess made a great team in the New Testament band.

gregmo

I don't think I can think of a player that owned Jumpin' at the Woodside quite like Foster (other than the original, Lester Young).

OK, OK---I was at work when I wrote that, and I was really thinking of Foster after reading the article. But of course, Lockjaw was in and out of the Basie band and, I'm sure, intimidated all the tenor players in the band.

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis knew how to get around on those changes too. Jaws was GREAT! Lockjaw had the ultimate swagger. I never tire of hearing him.

Edited by Jazz Nut

• 3 weeks later...