2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot really complain (...just as any fan of a team that is still in contention shouldn't be :rolleyes: ).

Not a bad point, not at all, but...I have a very hard time holding any type of enthusiasm or optimism about a team with a bullpen that shows a lack of basic character and skill on anything other than a fleeting basis. Especially when it starts to infect the team in little ways that betray a basic lack of focus. At some point the "organization", be it the clubhouse leaders, the managerial staff, and/or the front office needs to disallow that type of bullshit by any means necessary. Otherwise you're playing me for a chump, and I'll not allow it.

Give me a team that loses honestly, hey, I'm good. Give me a team that has the occasional lapse or slump but bounces back, I'm good there, too. Give me a team that has needs but makes honest attempts to meet them, no problem. I don't expect to "always" win, I just expect to see an honest effort executed that exhibits professional and personal pride & self-respect. But I will not invest in a team that continues to perform like the Rangers of tonight and far too many other games this season. This Loyal Doyle stuff is for people who have needs that I do not have (meaning only that everybody has their own needs, nothing more). Like most people, I get paid to tolerate unaddressed & ongoing incompetency, and to pretend to support those who "expect" thing to happen without understanding what it takes to actually make them happen. What I don't get paid to do is watch baseball games and emotionally invest in a team. Like I said, I don't need that in my life. I love it when it's there, but can get along quite well without it. Spent the first decade of this century doing it, and have totally disavowed the Mavericks & Cowboys, so it's not like I don't know how...

Now, having finished that little vent/rant. let me add that C.J. Wilson is exempt from all of this, his post-game comments and demeanor after the most vile, bitter, wholly unnecessary and uncalled-for loss of the season being that of a person of true character. He may be a total jerk in his personal life, I don't know, and that's none of my business one way or the other. But as far as professional character, everything I've seen out of him, hey, he's a worthy human being. The rest of these jokers I'm not sure about. At least not at this particular moment.

The Stat of the Day, according to the Boston Globe:

The Red Sox play 43 of their remaining 79 games at home. The Yankees play 45 of their remaining 80 games on the road.

Too bad that if you dig a little deeper and consider their respective winning percentages at home and away, and apply them to the remaining mix of games, you'd figure out that the Red Sox project to win 97 games and the Yankees to win 99.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cannot really complain (...just as any fan of a team that is still in contention shouldn't be :rolleyes: ).

Not a bad point, not at all, but...I have a very hard time holding any type of enthusiasm or optimism about a team with a bullpen that shows a lack of basic character and skill on anything other than a fleeting basis. Especially when it starts to infect the team in little ways that betray a basic lack of focus. At some point the "organization", be it the clubhouse leaders, the managerial staff, and/or the front office needs to disallow that type of bullshit by any means necessary. Otherwise you're playing me for a chump, and I'll not allow it.

Give me a team that loses honestly, hey, I'm good. Give me a team that has the occasional lapse or slump but bounces back, I'm good there, too. Give me a team that has needs but makes honest attempts to meet them, no problem. I don't expect to "always" win, I just expect to see an honest effort executed that exhibits professional and personal pride & self-respect. But I will not invest in a team that continues to perform like the Rangers of tonight and far too many other games this season. This Loyal Doyle stuff is for people who have needs that I do not have (meaning only that everybody has their own needs, nothing more). Like most people, I get paid to tolerate unaddressed & ongoing incompetency, and to pretend to support those who "expect" thing to happen without understanding what it takes to actually make them happen. What I don't get paid to do is watch baseball games and emotionally invest in a team. Like I said, I don't need that in my life. I love it when it's there, but can get along quite well without it. Spent the first decade of this century doing it, and have totally disavowed the Mavericks & Cowboys, so it's not like I don't know how...

Now, having finished that little vent/rant. let me add that C.J. Wilson is exempt from all of this, his post-game comments and demeanor after the most vile, bitter, wholly unnecessary and uncalled-for loss of the season being that of a person of true character. He may be a total jerk in his personal life, I don't know, and that's none of my business one way or the other. But as far as professional character, everything I've seen out of him, hey, he's a worthy human being. The rest of these jokers I'm not sure about. At least not at this particular moment.

Well stated. I agree with most if not all of it. And I will freely admit that it is not hard to be an easygoing Indians fan this season since the expectation was 4th place and the team's key core is young. Also reasonable for major concern for favorites whose window of opportunity is rapidly closing, though (despite the hysteria on display) I'm not yet convinced the Yankees are in that bucket. Is it time to trade Texeira, Cano, and ARod for prospects? I didn't think so. The Red Sox and the Phillies are definitely not in that category. Don't have a feel for your Rangers, though the lineup looks pretty damn solid. Bullpens can be damn frustrating (see Wickman, Bob and Borowski, Joe for some recent Lake Erie mayhem). The Tribe bullpen has been a strength this year which is another reason for optimism watching the Tribe, even if bullpen success can fade quickly.

Your Loyal Doyle view is why I'm a subdued Browns fan since their return. They've been terrible in just about every way. Root for the team, but with little emotional investment. Smile when Josh Cribbs shines. May go that way with the post-LeBron Cavs as well--expectations are definitely dialed down.

I WISH JOHN LACKEY WOULD JUST BLOW OUT HIS FUCKING ELBOW ALREADY SO HE CAN STOP FUCKING THIS TEAM OVER EVERY FUCKING START.

You are wishing that a fellow human being should be injured so that your team can win...? :mellow:

As if you never thought the Giants would be better off without Zito taking a start every five days, or questioned why so much money was given to such a pathetic mediocrity.

Interesting report on what evidence the judge in Clemens' trial will allow.

Something of a mixed bag as it seems that the judge won't let Knoblauch or Pettitte testify that McNamee did in fact give them PEDs as he also told the Mitchell investigators. Supposedly that is too prejudicial against Clemens which seems ridiculous to me. Its legitimate evidence that McNamee told the truth in his testimony for the Mitchell report. What is even prejudicial about it? Is it prejudicial to consider it in judging McNamee's honesty?

OTOH, the judge appears ready to throw out anything to do with the events at the FL hotel pool where police felt that McNamee wasn't forthcoming about what happened with a female guest who was found to have the date-rape drug in her system. No charges were ever filed against McNamee, which seems to be the key part of the judge's belief that this is prejudicial.

This is very destructive to Clemens' intended defense of sliming McNamee nine ways to Sunday.

So, while I think the judge is being foolish about Knoblauch and Pettitte, if he wants to take a buzz-saw to most of Clemens' "don't trust him he's a lying raping crazy person" defense, I'll take it.

I WISH JOHN LACKEY WOULD JUST BLOW OUT HIS FUCKING ELBOW ALREADY SO HE CAN STOP FUCKING THIS TEAM OVER EVERY FUCKING START.

You are wishing that a fellow human being should be injured so that your team can win...? :mellow:

As if you never thought the Giants would be better off without Zito taking a start every five days, or questioned why so much money was given to such a pathetic mediocrity.

No doubt....but I wouldn't want to see him get injured.

The Tribe/Yankee series that just concluded illustrates the promise and shortcomings of the Tribe. Two outstanding starts (Tomlin and Masterson), yet Tomlin looked to be taking a tough loss. Something that Masterson has dealt with much of the season. Team just doesn't score enough runs. Carrasco, another young starter with great promise (and high variance) gets trounced in the middle game. Tribe leaves men on base all over the place (at least tonight). Defense is solid (ACab, LaPorta in his first game back, Grady for the Ladies). Only exception tonight was the complete ineffectiveness of Vinnie Pestano. Maybe he just wanted to create a save opportunity for CPerez, and did it just about at quickly as possible.

Nice to see Granderson (and his bats) leaving the Jake.

If Masterson keeps it up the Tribe could have a really strong #2 starter for a long time to come - assuming they can afford and are willing to buy out a couple of years of free agency, and if the team keeps developing who's to say he wouldn't want to stick around and be part of a contending team?

One thing is for sure I enjoyed watching him silence the Yankees.

Unfortunately I suspect that this will be the high-water mark of the Sox, or perhaps that will come right at the break if they beat up on the Orioles. I think Lester will be out until at least the end of July and so will Buchholz, Lackey isn't out yet, and they are one more injury to a starter away from having no choice but to call up Kevin Millwood. :o:excited:

If Masterson keeps it up the Tribe could have a really strong #2 starter for a long time to come - assuming they can afford and are willing to buy out a couple of years of free agency, and if the team keeps developing who's to say he wouldn't want to stick around and be part of a contending team?

One thing is for sure I enjoyed watching him silence the Yankees.

Unfortunately I suspect that this will be the high-water mark of the Sox, or perhaps that will come right at the break if they beat up on the Orioles. I think Lester will be out until at least the end of July and so will Buchholz, Lackey isn't out yet, and they are one more injury to a starter away from having no choice but to call up Kevin Millwood. :o:excited:

I agree. I wasn't sure Masty was more than a shutdown late inning reliever, but he looks to be solid (and given the large number of available rotation slots, he'll have one). As always, we'll see about dollars. Tribe in the past has been willing to pay a bit to forego free agency years. Nice to see some value return for VMart.

Tip the cap to Millwood for still playing. He is definitely a grinder. I doubt there's much left (...but I felt the same away about Bartolo).

Fausto will get at least one rehab start. Hopefully he'll do more than check that his quad is alright. I would be thrilled if he gets two such starts and does some work on his mechanics, esp from the stretch. Zach McAllister (acquired in the Austin Kearns rental deal last year) will make his major league debut tonight against Toronto. Hopefully he'll pitch as well as Tomlin, Carrasco, and White have this season (i.e. better than Fausto and recent Mitch Talbot).

Unfortunately I suspect that this will be the high-water mark of the Sox...

I'm enjoyed Wakefield's fluttering (sorry) march on 200 wins. 198 picked up yesterday. :party:

After 200 I would love to see him get to 192 with the Sox - I think he's eight away now - and get Clemens (and Cy Young) out of the club record book.

O.K., the Yankees played 18 games with Derek Jeter on the DL and won 14 of them. Since he's returned, they've played four games and they're 1-3. Someone help me understand why it's more important to kiss this guy's ass than it is to win ballgames. I just hope that after he get's his 3,000th hit, they do what they should have done weeks ago and move him down in he order. If they don't, then something is seriously out of whack in the Bronx. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

The Phillies brought up a kid from the minors named Juan Perez and in his first appearance tonight he struck out the side. On 9 pitches!

Holy Shit!! and now thanks to Raul Ibanez's walk off homer(jeez, who saw that coming?? Not me.) Perez just got the win.