2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, tornado nuts!

I'm just saying, if all we're looking at here is an 80% chance of isolated thunderstorms in the morning and an 80% chance of occasional rain in the evening, in my experience with forecasts, that means that the odds of the game becoming genuinely unplayable, or even "sloppy" are next to none.

Then again, what's really driving all this, I'd imagine, is TV. Fox would no doubt prefer a guaranteed play-through than even one small rain delay.

Fox...grrrrrr.....

I'd feel better about a postponement if the forecast was looking more gnarly that it now does. But I guess you can never be too cautious, or something.

Edited by JSngry

In the case of questionable weather, I tend not to trust any local news outlets, regardless of location. On the other hand, I do trust Weather Underground. Here's what they have to say about the weather today in St. Louis:

Weather at a Glance

Weather Station

Shaw/Tower Grove, St. Louis

Current Conditions:

Overcast

Temperature

57.8 °F

Today

63 °F

T-storms

80% chance of precipitation

Tonight

43 °F

Rain

80% chance of precipitation

Yeah, WU is where I got the other forecast above (click on the 7 Day forecast link: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:63101.1.99999#forecast . I'm a big WU fan myself, trust them as implicitly as any weather service can be trusted. but from my experience with them, an 80% chance of "occasional rain" means that there's an 80% chance of getting sky-spit here and there. If it were were going to be worse, they'd predict something like an 80% chance of thunderstorms, isolated or otherwise.

We'll just have to wait and see, eh?

Ah, the more I think about it, not knowing how the Busch Stadium field drains or the proclivities of the St. Louis groundskeepers, I suppose a guaranteed dry field is the way to go. Cold & damp won't do Colby's hip any good anyway...

It's actually warm and sunny here, though...makes me wonder what would have happened if Prince hadn't crushed CJ in July.

Ah, randomness...

Game 6 postponed until tomorrow. Game 7, if needed, on Friday. Various personal reports from St. Louis are saying that the chance of any meaningful precipitation continue to drop as time passes, but certain good weather cannot be guaranteed until tomorrow.

If you're still out there, Tim, this is torture! :g

As of about 7:20 CDT this evening:

24-hour.jpg

Doppler shows light rain patches, so it would have been light rain (lloks like nothing enough to stop play), light rain stops, light rain moves back in, this all night long.

The postponement was the right move, definitely. Not for a regular season game, but for a game like this, yeah.

radar-metro.gif

Edited by JSngry

If I was a St. Louis fan right now, I'd be having a fit. First the Alphonse and Gaston act in left field and now the throwing error on the pitcher. These are little league plays these guys aren't executing, especially the botched fly ball in left. Furcal has no business being close enough to get in the way. The ball always-always-always belongs to the outfielder. C'mon man.

If I was a St. Louis fan right now, I'd be having a fit. First the Alphonse and Gaston act in left field and now the throwing error on the pitcher. These are little league plays these guys aren't executing, especially the botched fly ball in left. Furcal has no business being close enough to get in the way. The ball always-always-always belongs to the outfielder. C'mon man.

Wash has often said it's not always the best team that wins ball games. Gonna love to hear him explain THIS game, when it seemed like both teams were in a contest to see who could play the worst World Series game EVER!