2011 MLB Season

A reputable local reporter has tweeted (or so I'm hearing, I don't tweet, myself) that Derek Holland was still recovering from food poisoning tonight, thus the "uniform change" that caused the delay with the team taking the field.

Ooooooooooooh. And Eeeeeeeeeeew. Well he scores some toughness points. It's not easy being left-handed vs. the Tigers in Arlington's park even when you're not needing to change your uni for those reasons.

Official, non-tweet story: http://www.foxsports...054&feedID=9916

Also, this came out in early September. Seems that Colby Lewis has been battling hip pain most of the season, which explains any number of things: http://espn.go.com/b...s-quality-start

That's the Inner Colby Lewis like none other!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was working at the Detroit Opera House last night reviewing Michigan Opera Theatre's season-opening production. Since I don't have a smart phone (don't ask), I ran across the street at intermission to a restaurant to check the score at the bar and learned that it was 2-0 going into the third. Feeling grand, I went back to the opera. After the show we jumped back to the bar and they flashed the line score and, well, fuck. 9-4. Oh, well, at least I didn't suffer. Bottom line: better team won. I'll be rooting for the Rangers in the Series.

For anyone who is interested, here's a Detroit perspective from Mike Rosenberg from my paper -- a very funny and insightful sports columnist. The sports guys work on truly brutal deadlines. I don't know how Mike does it.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111016/COL22/110160661/Michael-Rosenberg-Tigers-season-may-over-not-pride?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Edited by Mark Stryker

Good lord have mercy...

A Team On A Mission vs A Team Of Destiny

The Gut vs The Brain

Arthur Rhodes/Lance Berkman/Rangers all hoping to be justified

Pitching & hitting the likes of which could easily defy all expectations and boggle all imaginations

Possibly seven games of all-red fannage

Central Time Zone every game

Ladies & Gentlemen,, this is the 2011 World Series, and I for one do not have even a shred of a gut feeling about which way it's going to go.

However - if the Rangers' starters get it together just one last time, get their heads back in place, I like our chances well enough.

That's a pretty damn big if, ya' know, even with Quincy's Corollary in full effect, but that's how I feel about it, and right now, that's about all I can feel about it.

It's autumnal in St. Louis...temperatures could get into the mid-lower 30s bfore the games over tonight...hold on to those hammies!

129571542_extra_large.jpg

Precisely why MLB should wise up and cut back the regular season by two weeks. This is the World fucking Series for cryin' out loud, your showcase event. It should be played in conditions conducive to good baseball.

3-2 against the staff ace, with his minions coming in dealing from strength? Far worse scenarios ran through my head than that one, so let's play ball tomorrow and see if we can't rattle thing around a little bit more. What I saw this evening was a lot of wiley veteran nibble-nabbling, and the results say same. Can they all do that? I think not. I sure hope not!

I think one thing that harms the Rangers in this match up is having so many lefty starters. It's not so much about Pujols or Holliday as they hit everybody, but mainly because of Freese, Theriot (who didn't even play tonight), and a few other bench guys hit them better than righties. I was also surprised to see that the Cardinals were the best road hitting team for average and 2nd best for slugging in the majors. So there's more there than the "little train that could" story. I still think the Rangers are a superior team for the long haul, but we all know how these series can go. I'm happy it was a good game given some of the blowouts in the earlier series. I know it's not the case, but when I first saw the use of the heat sensing camera my first thought was "great, you just gave that guy 20 chest x-rays with that shot." :lol:

Less-informed Rangers fans (of which there are many, and boy are they loud...) are bitching about how come we didn't get to Carpenter when he obviously didn't have his best stuff.

Well DUH. That's why a true ace is an ace - they know how to get you out when they don't have their best stuff, or even particularly good stuff.

And is this about as well-called a strike zone as you can get, or what?

strikezone.png

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zoneTrack.php?month=10&day=19&year=2011&game=gid_2011_10_19_texmlb_slnmlb_1%2F&prevDate=1019