2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, that's obvious, but...the impending finality of the 2011 season within the next five days has finally sunk in.

This game this evening is not a fun one to watch, and how many other games are left might not be fun to watch, but...I love this team, brain farts and all

It's been a number of years since I followed a team all the way through a season (as in seeing or hearing just about every game) and they didn't get as far as your guys (for me the last time was the record setting Mariners. I also did it with a few '80s Cubs teams as WGN made that possible.) And that's the kicker. Texas could win 3 and yet despite becoming World Series champions, I do believe you'd be a more than little bit sad that it's all over. Can't they go on and play the Japan champion, or Cuba, anybody?

As for Puhols, uh, Albert? How do like hitting in Arlington?

I hear that one hit he off of Lidge in Houston is still in orbit. And now tonight. You could just feel #3 was going to happen off of the lefty Oliver. I think the man has made a huge impression everywhere in Texas where baseball is played.

I had to miss the middle explosive part of the game as a relative who I see much less of than the Cardinals in the World Series visited town. I was happily surprised there was still baseball going when I picked it up in the 7th. Also shocked at the score and happenings. Sounds odd to say "if you had to miss a game" when there were 3 HRs, but of the first 3 games if you had to miss one this was the one as far as I'm concerned.

Don't remember this:

hesaculpa_umpire_misses_call_on_holliday_tag_cards_strike_big.jpg

Remember that after this, you still had just a man of first with one out. And then remember how you failed to execute with a man on first with one out.

Man on first, one out...nothing to get amped about. Totally fucked umpire's call, yes. But man on first with one out? Totally routine. Learn to tell the difference and how to proceed accordingly.

Must be part of that gettin' over the hump thang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfGsTx3xtdI

As so-called "must win" games go, tomorrow's is one for the Rangers. St. Louis has all the mojo right now and LaRussa is showing why he's HOF material and Ron Washington is just a dancer. With the prospect of facing Chris Carpenter maybe two more times if the series goes severn games, the mood has got to be a little dismal and depressing in Big D.

There. That feels a little better.

Jim,

I can see that you need to unburden yourself. I just want you to know that I'm here for you. I have no dog in this fight, so I'm acting in the role of the impartial observer. Being a Yankee fan, I cannot possibly fathom what it's like to knock on the door when no one is home. I am a baseball empath. I feel your pain.

Gutless. No other word for tonight. And if they don't get their shit together, there's gonna be another World Series victory celebration in Arlington come Monday night.

I expect nothing more from this team, because THAT is the team I know.

Al, remember the Yankees-Braves WS of 1996????

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1996_WS.shtml

Brave beat the piss out of the Yankees in game one, 12-1, at Yankee Stadium.

Braves shut out the Yankees in game 2, 4-0 at Yankee Stadium again, of course.

So to recap, braves outscored the Yanks at home, 16-1. Up 2-0 in series, headed to Atlanta.

Yankees then won 3 in the ATL, then went back to NY to win their 4th straight game....so don't count out your team just yet! Both bullpens are overworked....

Gutless. No other word for tonight. And if they don't get their shit together, there's gonna be another World Series victory celebration in Arlington come Monday night.

I expect nothing more from this team, because THAT is the team I know.

So to recap, braves outscored the Yanks at home, 16-1. Up 2-0 in series, headed to Atlanta.

Yankees then won 3 in the ATL, then went back to NY to win their 4th straight game....so don't count out your team just yet! Both bullpens are overworked....

Don't count out my team? But, that would mean being positive about them. ;) This old dog is having trouble learning new tricks. Plus, I refuse to have my heart broken again. But.... I'm a fan, so the heartbreak is inevitable. I'm just venting now to ease the pain.

Thanks, you saved me a post. :P Oops, I'm here anyway. This sort of thing has been overcome in basketball too. It's just a loss, ugly as hell but it counts the same as the nail biter in Game 1.

The news today (maybe it's old news in Texas) is Hamilton may have a sports hernia. He's earning major toughness points if that's the case, as if playing with a groin pull wasn't bad enough. (Hey, if you have some energy you need to work off between innings, and better yet have a partner...)

No disrespect whatsoever to Mr. Hamilton, but I think the Rangers can overcome his ability to contribute being reduced better than an injury to Elvis or Ian. Not that you want any of this mind you.

It's just a loss, ugly as hell but it counts the same as the nail biter in Game 1.

Exactly. Last night was only Game 3, the series is only led by 2-1. Just have to put last night behind you and play one game at a time. The players know how do do that. It's us fans that need the work...

Rangers can't say the bats haven't come alive either. Gotta wonder if the bullpens' arms have gone dead, though...

Thing is, the Cardinals bullpen doesn't look to be in all that much better shape. We get to them one time like they did to us last night...

The wild card, though, is still starting pitching, and that's where I think we've ridden this horse as far as we can ride it. They guys have skills, but they're just not developed enough yet. May never be, this may be all they'll ever have. But with Harrison & Holland, you still see headroom, not ceiling. Just not all of a sudden, not now. I don't think that's something that just magically shows up at your doorstep on Easter morning...

If this shit was linear/logical, we'd be getting to the series when/after these guys had reached full potential. But if this shit was linear/logical, Ornette & Cecil would have happened after 60s Trane, not before. Stuff comes when it comes. Like Wash says, you either do or you don't, you either will or you won't.

'The news today (maybe it's old news in Texas) is Hamilton may have a sports hernia. He's earning major toughness points if that's the case, as if playing with a groin pull wasn't bad enough.

The rumors have been floating for a few days now, yeah...but still not out in general circulation, is this: http://espn.go.com/b...s-quality-start

The Inner Colby Lewis has been dealing (pretty quietly, as it turns out) with a hip problem all season long. No wonder he's been giving up homers like a good girl who just can't say no...and yet this is the one Ranger who's had a good start in the Series so far. He gets toughness points too!

I just hope that last night provides the kind of gut check similar to the Mavs game 2 loss to Portland on their way to their championship.

That was some gut check. :) That kid may not be able to grow much of mustache, but he sure came through in epic fashion. What a curve! I hope it leaks out what Washington was saying when he went out to get Derek Holland. And tonight Wash is the genius, as The Genius's move to bring Boggs in...oof! I loved how McCarver says "he need to keep the ball down" just as the pitch goes up, and Napoli hits a video game shot. :lol:

I just hope that last night provides the kind of gut check similar to the Mavs game 2 loss to Portland on their way to their championship.

That was some gut check. :) That kid may not be able to grow much of mustache, but he sure came through in epic fashion. What a curve! I hope it leaks out what Washington was saying when he went out to get Derek Holland.

During the post-game interview, Holland said that he basically begged Wash to let him stay out there, that if he couldn't get the next guy on a double-play it'd be okay to bring in Feliz but please please please PLEASE let me stay out here! That's why Wash kept shaking his head no. Holland went on to say that Wash said if Holland got on his knees & begged, he'd let him stay in. I guess that really IS the way baseball go! :lol:

In all seriousness, major props to the Rangers for stepping up to the challenge and conquering it in Mavs-like fashion. Gonna enjoy the moment while it lasts because tomorrow's game is gonna be a major gut-check for BOTH teams, especially with CJ returning to the mound.

All I know is this: the kid with the acne problem single-handedly saved this World Series for the Rangers. For now, anyway. Thank you, Derek Holland.