2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There for a little while before and during the game. I saw in my mind and felt in my heart what a win in this game would feel like. It was a beautiful thing.

Even if that's the only place I ever again see it and feel it, it will always be a beautiful thing, made more beautiful by how the things that crushed the evening's final reality did not, will not, and cannot kill the things, the real and the imagined things, that made all that beauty so wondrous in the first place.

And so comes Game 7.

I remember the 6th game of the 1975 series like it was yesterday. Every other game I've ever seen is measured against that one. It's the gold standard. Was this one better? I'm going to need some time to think about that.

Jim - Don't forget it's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

Edited by Dave James

Dave: I saw 1975 Game 6 as well, from start to finish; quite a big deal that my father let me stay up to watch all of it on a school night. I agree that it's the gold standard, but this game certainly gets within winking distance of it; at least, that's my dime-store quickie analysis. If St. Louis somehow manages to win Game 7, I nominate this fellow for overall postseason MVP.

Can't count this as a great game because all the Ranger pitchers after Holland left the game looked like they had some significant degree of fear in their hearts (though Feldman overcame that until he didn't). Yes, the Cardinals who got those hits got those hits, but those Ranger relief pitchers seemed to me to more or less spit out the bit, which for me removed this game from the "titanic struggle" category.

Still hoping the Rangers win. Too much about the Cardinals I don't like, starting with those evil zombies LaRussa and Dave Duncan.

Oh, I know it, and I know that if any team can come back from this, it's my Rangers (yeah, I'm calling them mine from now own), everybody did everything they could possibly do to win except get the last strike. And how that happened as it did....I may neverr understand. But in my mind, I know what it would have felt like to have gotten them, and in my mind, my Rangers are humbly and sincerely asking for both forgiveness and for just one more chance, both of which they will get.

In the meantime, next time you see a cockroach, don't try to be humane in killing it. Just crush that son-of-a-gun until there's nothing left of him except parts and goo. And then....stomp on it until there's nothing left but a wet spot.

Oh, I know it, and I know that if any team can come back from this, it's my Rangers (yeah, I'm calling them mine from now on), everybody did everything they could possibly do to win except get the last strike. And how that happened as it did....I may neverr understand. But in my mind, I know what it would have felt like to have gotten them, and in my mind, my Rangers are humbly and sincerely asking for both forgiveness and for just one more chance, both of which they will get.

In the meantime, next time you see a cockroach, don't try to be humane in killing it. Just crush that son-of-a-gun until there's nothing left of him except parts and goo. And then....stomp on it until there's nothing left but a wet spot.

BTW....how much beer and ambien can I mix before I only see the good things I saw and felt this evening? There was soooo much of it, and I'd like to take it to bed with me for a while.

Can't count this as a great game because all the Ranger pitchers after Holland left the game looked like they had some significant degree of fear in their hearts (though Feldman overcame that until he didn't). Yes, the Cardinals who got those hits got those hits, but those Ranger relief pitchers seemed to me to more or less spit out the bit, which for me removed this game from the "titanic struggle" category.

Still hoping the Rangers win. Too much about the Cardinals I don't like, starting with those evil zombies LaRussa and Dave Duncan.

Agreed. As far as exciting goes, you can't beat this one. As far as key hits at key times goes, you can't beat this one. As far as there being no quit in either team, you can't beat this one. But, you're right. It was not well-played defensively and the pitching was terrible.

Personally, I would prefer they win it all tonight so I don't have to miss game seven on Friday.

But having said that, the baseball gods, in their infinite sense of humor, will have all but guaranteed a game seven now! :g

GRRRRR!!!! Why can't I be right for all the RIGHT reasons for once????

Absolutely the worst relief pitching in the clutch that I've ever seen. Ogando, Feliz, Oliver, Feldman, just awful.

Individually they're tolerable, but tonight was the first time every damn one of 'em collapsed. I sure hope Harrison has a good complete game in him tomorrow or, at the very least, Wash's first and ONLY trip to the bullpen is to get Holland. Ogando & Oliver should be on a plane back to Texas RIGHT NOW!

There for a little while before and during the game. I saw in my mind and felt in my heart what a win in this game would feel like. It was a beautiful thing.

Even if that's the only place I ever again see it and feel it, it will always be a beautiful thing, made more beautiful by how the things that crushed the evening's final reality did not, will not, and cannot kill the things, the real and the imagined things, that made all that beauty so wondrous in the first place.

I want so much to agree with you, my man, but...

Five errors by both teams??? Five blown leads??? A complete bullpen meltdown by both teams? THIS is the best that Major League Baseball has to offer? No wonder the ratings are so dismal! You can watch a game like this any day of the week at your local Little League baseball game!

This game has really soured me on the outcome of the Series. Make no mistake, I want the Rangers to win it, but my enjoyment of said win has been tempered by the realization that any other team woulda cleaned their clock by now.

Absolutely the worst relief pitching in the clutch that I've ever seen. Ogando, Feliz, Oliver, Feldman, just awful.

Individually they're tolerable, but tonight was the first time every damn one of 'em collapsed. I sure hope Harrison has a good complete game in him tomorrow or, at the very least, Wash's first and ONLY trip to the bullpen is to get Holland. Ogando & Oliver should be on a plane back to Texas RIGHT NOW!

The way I see it the biggest culprit was Feliz because he's your closer. He's been getting away with falling behind hitters, walking batters, bringing the tying or winning run to the plate all series, but tonight that kind of inexcusable pitching with the game on the line caught up to him.

Edited by MartyJazz

The way I see it the biggest culprit was Feliz because he's your closer. He's been getting away with falling behind hitters, walking batters, bringing the tying or winning run to the plate all series, but tonight that kind of inexcusable pitching with the game on the line caught up to him.

Can't disagree, and he's actually been pulling that shit all year. However, I still blame Ogando for walking two straight batters, and Wash for thinking Ogando has anything left to offer in this Series. What a colossal fall from grace, that Ogando.

This game brought back memories of the Giants blowing it in game 6 vs the Angels in '02. At any rate... WOW. I'm still trying to convince myself that the outcome was real.

Some of us Rangers fans know all too well: it's real, and it's a nightmare that just keeps repeating itself....

Until tonight, and I've been watching baseball for about 50 years, the best WS games or at least the best game sixes were Game 6 of the 1986 Series and the 75 Series (in that order, by the way).

However, last night blows them out of the water (although I will always have a sentimental spot for the 1986 Series). This game will be talked about for many a year, e.g., what if Holliday doesn't get picked off (as they loaded the bases after that and what they heck was he doing that far from the bag) and why is Cruz doing his best Dave Kingman imitiation.

A simply unbelievable game. However, if the Cards don't go out and win this tonight, it won't carry as much weight in history. Except for the 75 Series, the games we remember are where the winner ultimately prevailed, e.g. the Gibson Home Run.

BTW, here's the top 10 games, as rated by MLB Network, not all WS games.

1975 Fisk game

1991 Twins beat Braves (a great one for sure)

1986 Game 6 Mets Sox

1992 NLCS Braves beat Pirates

1986 Mets beat Astros in Game 6 (another game 6!)

2003 ALCS Boone beats Red Sox

2003 NLCS Bartman game (is he still in hiding)

1986 ALCS Red Sox beat Angels

2001 Dbacks beat Yankees in game 7

1888 Gibson beats As (would have rated this number 4)

Edited by Brad

As poorly as Feliz pitched in the 9th, once the Rangers got the lead in the 10th I would have stayed with Feliz. What I've seen of him in the playoffs and WS, he seems to be too amped up at first and then he settles down and pitches well. But that's just my opinion and I really can't fault Washington for going to Feldman as Feldman has pitched well except for last night.

I kept thinking of Bobby Abreu on the triple Freese hit to rightfield that Cruz couldn't corral. Cruz seemed to be afraid to hit the wall to try and make the catch. If you make the catch the series is over, so GO FOR IT! Wild and crazy game, don't think I've ever seen such momentum shifts so quickly. For anybody who went to the game who was a Cards fan they have a lifetime sports memory thet will probably never be equalled.

As poorly as Feliz pitched in the 9th, once the Rangers got the lead in the 10th I would have stayed with Feliz. What I've seen of him in the playoffs and WS, he seems to be too amped up at first and then he settles down and pitches well. But that's just my opinion and I really can't fault Washington for going to Feldman as Feldman has pitched well except for last night.

I kept thinking of Bobby Abreu on the triple Freese hit to rightfield that Cruz couldn't corral. Cruz seemed to be afraid to hit the wall to try and make the catch. If you make the catch the series is over, so GO FOR IT! Wild and crazy game, don't think I've ever seen such momentum shifts so quickly. For anybody who went to the game who was a Cards fan they have a lifetime sports memory thet will probably never be equalled.

Think you are right on Feliz. Plus, he is only 23, in the biggest game of his life.

Folks have to remember, the bullpens are GASSED! This isn't like 1975, this year starters are going what, 3-4 innings, and the first hint of trouble, the manager has to take the starter out, or he will be fired, basically. And as Smoltz has said in the past, the post season pitches are a lot more draining than those in a regular season game...and I imagine most pitchers right now have not pitched this deep into the post season, certainly after being in game after game, after game....

The Washington Post's Thomas Boswell, who covered 1975's Game 6, seems to think last night's game was actually more dramatic and memorable than the storied Reds-Red Sox epic:

2011 Game 6

Anthony DiComo says it ranks among the best WS games ever and points out that

Until Thursday, no team in World Series history had rallied to overcome a ninth-inning deficit and an extra-inning deficit in the same game.
Edited by ghost of miles

Think you are right on Feliz. Plus, he is only 23, in the biggest game of his life.

Folks have to remember, the bullpens are GASSED! This isn't like 1975, this year starters are going what, 3-4 innings, and the first hint of trouble, the manager has to take the starter out, or he will be fired, basically. And as Smoltz has said in the past, the post season pitches are a lot more draining than those in a regular season game...and I imagine most pitchers right now have not pitched this deep into the post season, certainly after being in game after game, after game....

Neftali has had a rough year...they tried to stretch him out as a starter during Spring Training, couldn't get the breaking ball going consistently, so back to the pen, only with that "killer closer mentality" not right, which resulted in a string of blown and near-blown saves the first few months of the season. He'd get it back together in spurts, sometimes sustained spurts, but still would have, and still does have, as witnessed last night, spells where he just can't find the strike zone on a consistent basis. Often he gets out of it unscathed. Last night, he did not.

And yes, he is still a young man. He's said to be somewhat highly driven, but also highly sensitive to failures. Reports out of the Rangers locker room last night described him as being "a mess" after the game. We all were, but I just hope he can put it behind him and move on. He seems like the type of guy who keeps a lot of stuff inside. No more Donnie Moores, ever.

As for Ogando, hey, the guy's just done, period. He's done so much this year...wish he had an inning or two of gas left, but even after you reach down and find all the extra you have, at some point you just run out, period. I think he''s there now.God bless him for giving as much as he's given for as long as he has. Pretty remarkable season for him.

Neftali has had a rough year...they tried to stretch him out as a starter during Spring Training, couldn't get the breaking ball going consistently, so back to the pen, only with that "killer closer mentality" not right, which resulted in a string of blown and near-blown saves the first few months of the season. He'd get it back together in spurts, sometimes sustained spurts, but still would have, and still does have, as witnessed last night, spells where he just can't find the strike zone on a consistent basis. Often he gets out of it unscathed. Last night, he did not.

And yes, he is still a young man. He's said to be somewhat highly driven, but also highly sensitive to failures. Reports out of the Rangers locker room last night described him as being "a mess" after the game. We all were, but I just hope he can put it behind him and move on. He seems like the type of guy who keeps a lot of stuff inside. No more Donnie Moores, ever.

As for Ogando, hey, the guy's just done, period. He's done so much this year...wish he had an inning or two of gas left, but even after you reach down and find all the extra you have, at some point you just run out, period. I think he''s there now.God bless him for giving as much as he's given for as long as he has. Pretty remarkable season for him.

Agreed about Ogando, he looks fried. I was wondering, since this is for all the marbles tonight if Washington is considering using Holland for an inning if the situation arises. Sure, he gave up a dinger last night, but he seems to be pitching well and he'll have months to rest after tonight.