2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very worried about the Red Wings. That 10-3 shellacking they took at the hands of the St. Louis Blues the other night was nothing other than a microcosm of their entire season. Poor defense and bad goaltending coming to a head right at the wrong time. I know they've had injuries and not having Datsyuk in the lineup of late hurts their offense and their defense, but there's just something wrong here. There are certainly reasons to believe that Ken Holland no longer walks on water and you have to wonder if maybe Babcock's message is no longer getting over with the team. Whatever the reason, this could very easily wind up being a first round, one and done exit for my boys. For a team that put up 100 points during the regular season, that's unacceptable. Mark my words, Wing fans will rue the day the Islanders screwed them out of Evgeni Nabokov.

You know our country is seriously f...ed up when they move one of the political debates for the federal election so they are not being broadcasted at the same time than a Habs playoff game. I could understand if it was the freakin' final but the first game of the first round :ph34r:

Edited by Van Basten II

Very worried about the Red Wings. That 10-3 shellacking they took at the hands of the St. Louis Blues the other night was nothing other than a microcosm of their entire season. Poor defense and bad goaltending coming to a head right at the wrong time. I know they've had injuries and not having Datsyuk in the lineup of late hurts their offense and their defense, but there's just something wrong here. There are certainly reasons to believe that Ken Holland no longer walks on water and you have to wonder if maybe Babcock's message is no longer getting over with the team. Whatever the reason, this could very easily wind up being a first round, one and done exit for my boys. For a team that put up 100 points during the regular season, that's unacceptable. Mark my words, Wing fans will rue the day the Islanders screwed them out of Evgeni Nabokov.

Dave,

Are you originally from Detroit? Well, good luck. My team, the (St)Rangers will be leaving early :(

Are you originally from Detroit? Well, good luck. My team, the (St)Rangers will be leaving early :(

Nope. Born and raised in Portland, Oregon. I've never even been to Detroit. I have a twin brother and we both got into hockey big-time when the Portland Buckaroos came to town in 1960. We used to play in our basement with two sticks and a roll of electrical tape. My team was the Red Wings and my brother's, the Black Hawks. Not sure why I settled on the Wings. I know I liked their uniforms and, of course, at the time, Gordie Howe was "Mr. Hockey". In those days, there were only six teams from which to choose. My favorite players were Alex Delvecchio and Terry Sawchuk. I even taught myself to shoot left-handed since Delvecchio shot left-handed. That continued through the many years I actually played the game. Never had much of a shot since I'm a natural rightie. I love the Yankees and the Eagles, but hockey is still my favorite sport.

Thought the Rangers looked pretty good last night. Too bad the Caps were able to poke in that cheap goal towards the end of the third period. New York really had them on their heels. I think that may turn out to be a pretty good series.

Edited by Dave James

You know our country is seriously f...ed up when they move one of the political debates for the federal election so they are not being broadcasted at the same time than a Habs playoff game. I could understand if it was the freakin' final but the first game of the first round :ph34r:

I dunno... sounds to me like they have their priorities.

Edited by medjuck

I'd have to say that when you have four game sevens and two game sixes out of eight playoff match-ups, you've got some pretty evenly matched teams. I'm pulling for the Blackhawks tonight so my Wings will draw Nashville and have home ice advantage. If the Hawks lose, they'll get San Jose instead and lose home ice. Not a pleasant prospect, although Detroit has done O.K. against the Sharks this year.

Edited by Dave James

So what's happened to the Caps?

Sharks are looking good by the way! :g

Struck by Lightning. :w

Tampa seems like they play a pretty tight system and have some talented players. Ovechkin can't do it by himself, try as he might.

I made toast for breakfast this morning. When it popped out of the toaster, both pieces were shaped like a Red Wing logo. Not quite sure what to make of that. Adding insult to injury is the fact that my boys are headed home to The Joe where they play even worse than they do on the road.

With respect to Alex Ovechkin, maybe it would help if he tried playing defense every now and then. Also, I'd love to have heard Bruce Boudreau lay into the Caps for that horrible OT line change that virtually handed the game to Tampa Bay.

Edited by Dave James

From what I've seen, the Lightning have been doing a pretty good job of keeping the Capitals on the perimeter once the Caps cross the blue line into the offensive zone. Tampa gives away a lot of open ice from blue line to blue line though. But I guess that's by design.

And at the other end, the Bolts have been able to get some cycling going down low, seem stronger on the puck than the Washington defense.

Then, just the way Ovechkin plays, he's kind of a one man show. So he's getting stripped of the puck a lot of times when he tries to do his thing. He doesn't look to set up other guys a lot, but tries to position himself to pull the trigger, and the Bolts have for the most part been all over him.

We'll see how it goes from here, but so far the Bolts are looking good against the Caps. My hockey guru tells me they don't match up well at all against the Bruins though. So if those two squads do advance, it'll probably end there and Boston will go on to the finals ... vs. ... the Sharks?

Edited by papsrus