2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is the finest of lines between playing hockey aggressively and breaking the rules. Unfortunately, It's impossible to get inside anyone's head to know if there was malice of forethought before a particular play is made. I'm not sure about Rome's hit. What worked against Horton was his inability to defend himself. In fact, that resulted from the act of passing the puck. As soon as the puck leaves your stick you watch its progress to determine what your next move should be. He was just starting to do so, still looking to his left, when he was leveled. An ugly scene if ever there as one. I'm sure Rome had been lining him up before Horton let the puck go, so you have to ask yourself to what extent he had he already committed himself to the hit before Horton dumped it off. My tendency, even though I'm rooting for the Bruins, is to believe that what Rome did was not intentional. That makes everyone a victim of circumstance, but since Horton is out for the remainder of the finals, the NHL balanced its books by showing Rome the door for the same four games. I don't have a problem with that.

Edited by Dave James

That makes everyone a victim of circumstance, but since Horton is out for the remainder of the finals, the NHL balanced its books by showing Rome the door for the same four games. I don't have a problem with that.

Nor do I; it seems to be an appropriate balance, as far as the game goes. It was certainly obvious that the officials had no intention of letting the game get out of control last night. I was starting to think Game Misconduct was a band performing after the game...

The more these two teams see each other, the less they get along. The fact that a team as offensively challenged as were the Bruins through the first two games of the series suited up their resident cement head, Shawn Thornton, for Game 3 tells you all you need to know about taking care of business. I think the officials are going to have their hands full for the balance of the series. This has all the earmarks of old-time hockey.

HansonBrothers.jpg?t=1241989069

Edited by Dave James

The Toronto Globe & Mail has been highlighting athletes' concussions for the past year or so. Here's an interesting editorial from a sports columnist about the suspension of the Vancouver player Rome, and the league's policy toward shots to the head this season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/consulting-burke-shows-woes-of-nhl/article2052012/

Vancouver seems very weak on the puck both defensively and in the Bruins' zone tonight. Much like Game 3. Lots of backing up, fumbling around with the puck and turnovers. And not near enough pressure in the offensive zone.

And it's open season on Luongo's glove side. ... again ...

Well...you were only one game off. Thomas is having a great series. It's kind of nice seeing an 'old timer' like Rechhi rack up some points as well.

Do or die time. The obvious factor is that every game has been won by the home team, so I suppose that gives Vancouver the edge. Guess we'll all find out soon...

Hey, maybe Bozo-like Islander "GM" Mike Milbury (possibly the worst sports executive I've ever seen) was onto something when he made the oft-ridiculed trade (self-fleecing) of Luongo from the Island! :rofl: Tougher to defend the Chara trade (and some others), though...

Hey, maybe Bozo-like Islander "GM" Mike Milbury (possibly the worst sports executive I've ever seen) was onto something when he made the oft-ridiculed trade (self-fleecing) of Luongo from the Island! :rofl: Tougher to defend the Chara trade (and some others), though...

Mad Mike also traded Todd Bertuzzi to Vancouver. The Canucks later sent Bertuzzi to Florida for...Roberto Luongo.

Assuming the B's hold on for another ten minutes, I'm not sure there will ever be a more deserving winner of the Conn Symthe trophy than Tim Thomas. I don't think I've ever seen a goaltender perform at this high a level over such a long stretch of the most important games any hockey team ever plays.

Edited by Dave James

I think tonight's highlight was hearing the Canadians boo Gary Bettman!

I don't think there's a more universally despised commissioner in sports than Gary Bettman. Those Vancouver fans really let him have it, but it wasn't as bad as it would have been if Boston had won at home. He'd have needed a couple of security guards standing next to him during the post-game ceremonies.