2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bye bye Red Wings. Old, slow and unmotivated. Combine this with shaky, maddeningly inconsistent goaltending and a bad defense and you'll be making tee times in early May every year. Time to blow up this iteration and get busy putting together something entirely different.

I think the Preds and Canucks will go seven. Luongo looks to have rediscovered his shakiness right at the wrong time and Rinne seems as quick as thy come. Lord knows when Stanley is on the line, you can't overestimate the value of a hot goalie. I have friends in Vancouver who will be placed on suicide watch should the Canucks fold their tent.

Red Wings live to skate again. The team nets a natural "hat trick" in the third period and holds on for a 4-3 win at the Shark Tank. Game six on Tuesday at The Joe. Can my boys come all the way back from a three game deficit? I like their odds a lot more right now than I did a few hours ago.

Amazing that Detroit fought their way back. I thought they were toast after Game 2!

Hope Detroit takes the series for selfish reasons - 3 of the games against Vancouver would be EST, meaning I can watch them without having to stay up late. Plus Detroit/Vancouver would be a GREAT series.

Amen, brother. A Detroit Vancouver series would be epic. Winning in San Jose isn't going to be easy, but the Wings seem to be hitting on all cylinders right now. Jimmy Howard has dialed up his game in a way I wouldn't have thought possible. He's come up big time and time again and kept his team in games. That's what good goalies do. Several days ago, I was thinking of changing out my avatar. I'm going to put that off for awhile.

Amazing that Detroit fought their way back. I thought they were toast after Game 2!

Hope Detroit takes the series for selfish reasons - 3 of the games against Vancouver would be EST, meaning I can watch them without having to stay up late. Plus Detroit/Vancouver would be a GREAT series.

Amen, brother. A Detroit Vancouver series would be epic. Winning in San Jose isn't going to be easy, but the Wings seem to be hitting on all cylinders right now. Jimmy Howard has dialed up his game in a way I wouldn't have thought possible. He's come up big time and time again and kept his team in games. That's what good goalies do. Several days ago, I was thinking of changing out my avatar. I'm going to put that off for awhile.

Dave, you won't say "Amen, brother" to me if Detroit wins, because for me in that series (or if the Sharks win), it will be "Go Canucks, Go!"

No worries; the Sharks took care of business and move on. I have to admit, when Detroit scored that second goal so quickly after the Sharks scored their third, I had a bit of a "here we go again" feeling, but they clamped down well after that. And of course, after my last grumbling post, Marleau scored the winner...

Edited by Jazzmoose

No worries; the Sharks took care of business and move on. I have to admit, when Detroit scored that second goal so quickly after the Sharks scored their third, I had a bit of a "here we go again" feeling, but they clamped down well after that...

Didn't Detroit score their first goal even more quickly after the Sharks scored their second? Anyway, I had that "here we go again feeling" for what felt like the whole game.

A shame somebody had to lose that series. ALL nailbiters.

Datsyuk is flat out unbelievable. The goal he scored last night was one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed that the Wings couldn't pull one out last night. On the other hand, a few positives can be found even in a losing effort. First and foremost amongst those is the possibility that Jimmy Howard has emerged as a top flight goalie in this league. I've not been a fan of his in the past, but how can you not be impressed with the way he played in this series? As I've always said, good goalies stop the shots they should and great goalies stop the shots they shouldn't. Howard turned a lot of heads with his play. I'm hoping that's a harbinger of good things to come from between the pipes.

On the downside, I think it's time to start thinking about a rebuild. To what extent will be determined by what Nick Lidstrom decides to do. If he retires, it will free up a load of cash that could pay for some immediate improvements. Brian Rafalski's contract will be up after next season and that's another chunk of money that will become available. We need to dump Kris Draper and Jiri Hudler like the bad habits they are and I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of Mike Modano (wish he's played last night instead of Hudler of Draper). The Wings have some good kids down on the farm, although I'm not sure I've seen the next Datysuk or Zetterberg in their midst. Hope I'm wrong about that. Also need a better back-up for Howard.

My sense with Lidstrom is that he plays one more year. If that's the case, then I don't see anything very significant happening in advance of next season. Just some minor tweaking. After that, though, with something like $13 million in salary coming off the books in 2012, I'd look for the beginning of a major rebuild grounded by the acquisition of 2-3 top of the line players.

GO WINGS!

Edited by Dave James

Did you fellas see Versus replaying the highlights of Vancouver's Game 2 win using 'Sweet Georgia Brown' as the soundtrack, ala the Globetrotters?

Appropriate. But as they say, a series doesn't really start until somebody loses at home.

I don't see that the Sharks have any alternative but to try to pound on the Canucks. A risky strategy, as Game 2 showed.

Moose, for the second consecutive year the City of Glendale (suburban Phoenix) will contribute $25 million toward the Coyotes' losses. The league owns the Coyotes. It looks to me like they are hanging on until a new arena is built in Quebec City.

Because the league owns the Coyotes, I expect that the new Winnipeg owners will be able to purchase (if they want them) the rights to the name "Jets" as well as the record book, etc., which are now owned by the Coyote franchise, the former Winnipeg franchise.