2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Dave, one explanation I read from a Phoenix local is that the Coyotes' Jobing Arena has 24 years left on its mortgage. The league is looking for govts (taxpayers) to pay for four new arenas in the near future, and that won't happen if the league abandons the Phoenix arena and the taxpayers there are left holding the bag. Sounds plausible.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, one explanation I read from a Phoenix local is that the Coyotes' Jobing Arena has 24 years left on its mortgage. The league is looking for govts (taxpayers) to pay for four new arenas in the near future, and that won't happen if the league abandons the Phoenix arena and the taxpayers there are left holding the bag. Sounds plausible.

Agreed. It won't help sell future developments involving public funding if the league cuts and runs in Phoenix. Still, unless the Coyote equation changes reasonably quickly, I don't see how they can keep it together in the desert.

I still hold out hope that one day Portland will land a franchise, but that seems less likely by the day. Even though they don't have an NHL-ready arena in Seattle, the league would love to have a team there to create a natural geographic rivalry with Vancouver. Whatever happens, the league better have it figured out by the time realignment arrives two seasons from now.

I would think Seattle is way too close to Vancouver; Portland would make much more sense. Not that we have any conflict of interest there or anything... :g

I still hold out hope that one day Portland will land a franchise, but that seems less likely by the day. Even though they don't have an NHL-ready arena in Seattle, the league would love to have a team there to create a natural geographic rivalry with Vancouver. Whatever happens, the league better have it figured out by the time realignment arrives two seasons from now.

I would think Seattle is way too close to Vancouver; Portland would make much more sense. Not that we have any conflict of interest there or anything... :g

In the '90's, Portland came within an eyelash of landing the Pittsburgh Penguins. I had some friends on the inside who knew the score and said that this was a matter of days from happening. Only an 11th hour intervention staged by Mario Lemieux kept the Pens on the East coast. Unfortunately, close only counts in horseshoes.

Edited by Dave James

Can Jagr make an impact at this point?

I really don't understand this move. For the past week the Flyers have been saying that the reason they traded Carter/Richards was that they needed to get younger. So what do they do? They spend $3 million on a 39 year old player who last skated in the NHL in 2008. WTF? And they let Leino sign w/ Buffalo. Though @ $27M over 6 years me thinks the Sabres overpaid. Flyers need some scoring help. Hopefully they can re-sign Gagne.

Gotta say, I was pleased to see the Red Wings pull out of the Jagr sweepstakes. I'm sure he'll have an impact on the Flyer's power play, but he can't skate nearly as well as he used to so his everyday contribution isn't going to be that significant. The guy is 6'3" and weighs over 240 lbs. At age 39, that's a fair amount to be hauling around.

Speaking of the Wings, their lack of significant FA activity was disappointing. I expected them to make a splash with both a top 4 blue liner and a backup goalie. They did neither. Mike Commodore is at best, a C-level defenseman and by not pursuing a netminder, it looks like they might be giving the wizard of Oz one more season wearing the winged wheel. Big mistake, IMO.

Bye, bye Chris Drury! We hardly knew ye. And we certainly didn't get the best of ye.

Well, having closed the Drury era, the Ranger$ went out and spent lavishly on Brad Richards. Something tells me that deal will also come to an early and regrettable end...

Have to agree on Jagr, $3.3 million seems a lot, and I don't expect much out of him.

Looking at the big free-agent signings, many commentators are talking about such things as "insanity" and "irrational exuberance". Maybe the Red Wings didn't do so badly by staying quiet.

The Wings still have quite a bit of cap space and there are always trades to consider, but if I had to guess, I'm thinking they're thinking next year. Lidstrom will come off the books for sure as will Bertuzzi, Holmstrom and Hudler, assuming the Wings choose not to resign any of them. That's going to leave a pretty good chunk of salary dollars available for large scale FA moves this time next year.