Hank Jones and Charlie Haden duo recording

jazzkrow

I have been waiting anxiously for the follow-up to Hank and Charlie's duo recording-"Steal Away". It was recorded just a few mos before Hank passed away last Spring. I wrote to Jean Pierre Leduc, Hank's former publicist/manager. He informed me that Universal Music/Jazz France has plans to release the CD "Come Sunday" sometime this Fall.

I can hardly wait as I so much enjoyed "Steal Away." It was Hank's final recording.

I so much miss Mr. Jones' presence on the scene. One of the sweetest classiest men you could ever have met...

I am also anxious to hear the follow-up. When I spoke to Charlie Haden and asked about this record at the 2010 Tri C Jazz Fest, he believed that the release date was imminent at that time. Since then a year has come and gone, so it will be with great pleasure that I will welcome this release should it happen this fall. Haden advised that the time that he spent with Hank Jones was precious and that this recording was a killer.

Regards,

LWayne

I'll get that too. Do you have the recording date(s)?

I have a CD on the Japanese 88's label (VRCL 18846)recorded on Feb. 24, 2010.

It's called Hank Jones: The Great Jazz Trio / Last Recording.

It's Hank with Lee Wong on bass & Lee Pearson on drums. Roy Hargrove sits in on 2 tracks on trumpet & Raymond McMorrin is on 2 tracks on tenor.

The music, packaging, production & sound are all quite remarkable.

I believe it was recorded in Feb. 2010- 2 mos before Hank Passed away..

Hank died 1 year ago this week- May 16th....

Thank goodness we still have Gerald Wilson at or near age 92- Gerald's new CD a tribute to Chicago will be released next month...

One of the sweetest classiest men you could ever have met...

Very true !

Thank goodness we still have Gerald Wilson at or near age 92- Gerald's new CD a tribute to Chicago will be released next month...

Gerald W. has an infectious enthusiasm for life so no surprise that he is still coming up with the goods !

It's Hank with Lee Wong on bass & Lee Pearson on drums. Roy Hargrove sits in on 2 tracks on trumpet & Raymond McMorrin is on 2 tracks on tenor.

David Wong

David Wong

Sorry, bad typing.

David Wong

I've been impressed with David Wong's playing every time I've seen him. Between his work with Hank Jones, the Heath Brothers and Roy Haynes, he certainly seems to be a rising bass star. Regarding the Jones/Haden duo, I'm looking forward to it, but I still haven't heard Steal Away. I would've loved for Jones to have recorded a duo album with George Mraz.

I can't say I was impressed with Haden's playing on Steal Away. It sounded to me like he didn't know the tunes that well, while Hank obviously did. Haden's playing is rather conservative on this session.

I had similar thoughts after listening to this - didn't listen to it that often, and sold it recently. I would have expected a somewhat more "peaceful" treatment of those tunes, if you know what I mean ...