Duke Pearson

JSngry

The piano riff, that's all that is similar. When I first heard it I laughed, counted, and thought it was smart. Melodically, both tunes are very different.

I happened to buy that LP long before I bought Time Out - knew Take Five only from the radio. I doubt anyone really noticed back then.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I am listening to Prairie Dog and it jumps into "The Fakir." It is basically "Take Five" with a few minor twists. In fact, for a short minute I thought I had loaded in a Brubeck CD instead. :P

Does anyone recall if he indeed got any flak from Brubeck/Desmond or their publishing company?

Aside from that, it's certainly an impressive line-up -- Harold Vick, James Spaulding, George Coleman, Johnny Coles and Mickey Roker (dr).

I had a very similar reaction to this one FWIIW

• 4 years later...

is duke penot,a joke Chewrson yr favorite? lol @ yr nickname-- THATS AWESOME! yeaaa! in answer to your question, all of them. Duke #1 for me is always Mr. Pearson.

hey waaiiiiit a minute it says in your post you are from Georgia. what is this? r u playing a blue note joke, or are you the ghost of Duke Pearson. if you are i love you ghost of Duke Pearson you are #1 Duke in Jazz to me and the only other Duke thats on par with your awesomeness is Genesis- Duke

No it was not a joke then I 2011.And,its not a joke now in 2015 Chewy.So,come over and,join us on Facebook.At The Duke Pearson Group Tribute page.Wed love to have you.

are you the guy who posted the pic of Duke Pearsons business card, that is so rad- i gotta tell my friend who likes DP a whole bunch too abt this.....

it can only happen with you is one of the very best sounding lps released by the original blue note records.........

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2011, 1:31:10, Justin V said:

I think that it's important to note what an integral role Pearson played on so many classic Donald Byrd albums. His playing, arranging and composing are greatly responsible for making Byrd's albums so consistently enjoyable. 

Justin,

I was listening to Electric Byrd the other day, and I thought the very same thing.  People talk about Electric Byrd being Byrd's response to Bitches Brew. But Pearson's fingerprints are all over that record just as much as Miles' (if not MORE than Miles').

Listen to The Phantom and then listen to Electric Byrd. You can't help but hear Pearson's influence THROUGHOUT Electric Byrd.

Edited by HutchFan