Charlie Rouse question

bertrand

According to Leonard Feather's liner notes to Bossa Nova Bacchanal, she's a dancer friend of Rouse's. She co-wrote 'Un Dia', the lone original on this session.

Who is she? She also co-authored some of the Jazz Modes tunes with Rouse, but she is NOT the vocalist on these dates - that would be one Eileen Gilbert, also unkown to me.

Anyone have any info on her? Is she still living? I will do a google search, but will probably come up empty-handed.

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Who is she? She also co-authored some of the Jazz Modes tunes with Rouse, but she is NOT the vocalist on these dates - that would be one Eileen Gilbert, also unkown to me.

Bertrand, I have no information on the Princess beside the mention by Leonard Feather in the liner notes to 'Bossa Nova Bacchanal' that she suggested the melodic line of 'Un Dia' to Rouse.

As for Eileen Gilbert she was a pretty busy backup singer. She also sang on other 'Jazz Modes' albums (the two Dawn records). She also did backup vocals on Blue Note albums (Lou Donaldson's 'Sweet Lou' and Bobby Hutcherson's 'Now') and on some Verve albums (including George Benson's 'Giblet Gravy' and Jimmy Smith's 'Stay Loose').

• 6 years later...

Is a psedonym a possibility?

That is indeed the case, imho. Orelia Benskina sounds Russian, but neither the first nor last names are Russian. Benskin sounds more Eastern European Jewish to me. I used to know a Dominican chick named Orelia.

My guess would be since the name Rouse can be pronounced R-o-o-s-e, sounding like Russe' [a French way of saying 'Russian'], someone came up with a pun on that.

Robin Kelly's bio has quite a bit of info in her which I saw by looking in google books. I'll check my copy of the book another day.

She was real and was Rouse's manager for a while. She was indeed a dancer.

Bertrand.

A photo:

Cuban Bombshell Princess Orelia Benskina - Jet Magazine, May 28, 1953

Kelly pages 251 and 346.

Edited by bertrand

What a coincidence - I'm currently reading Kelley's Monk text

Margarita Orelia Benskina was Panamanian born & an Afro Cuban dancer in the 40's. She was Rouse's & The Jazz Modes manager but also a practitioner of West African divination & owned/operated a "Botanica". In her later years she had a career as a poet, scholar, socialite & Harlem celebrity. She passed away in 2002.