Bonus tracks on AP SACDs

EyeSpeech

Yesterday I was listening to Freddie Jackson - Hootin' 'n Tootin' and The Three Sounds - Introducing. Both have extensive bonus tracks not on the original LPs that nearly double the playing time of each album. In listening to the Gray/Hoffman-remastered SACDs yesterday, I noticed that the bonus tracks sound more open, dynamic and detailed than the original tracks. It's a major difference that is immediately audible. My question is why?

It's possible the bonus tracks are on different tapes that have aged better than tapes of the standard tracks. The tapes with the bonus tracks were handled and played far less, I assume, than the original tapes. Perhaps they were stored in better conditions, too. Or perhaps the original tapes of the standard tracks were lost, and Hoffman/Gray had to use second-generation source material. Can anyone think of another reason for the difference in sound quality? I suppose I should address this question to the Hoffman forum or Michael Cuscuna who is intimately familiar with the Blue Note vaults.

Yesterday I was listening to Freddie Jackson - Hootin' 'n Tootin' and The Three Sounds - Introducing. Both have extensive bonus tracks not on the original LPs that nearly double the playing time of each album. In listening to the Gray/Hoffman-remastered SACDs yesterday, I noticed that the bonus tracks sound more open, dynamic and detailed than the original tracks. It's a major difference that is immediately audible. My question is why?

It's possible the bonus tracks are on different tapes that have aged better than tapes of the standard tracks. The tapes with the bonus tracks were handled and played far less, I assume, than the original tapes. Perhaps they were stored in better conditions, too. Or perhaps the original tapes of the standard tracks were lost, and Hoffman/Gray had to use second-generation source material. Can anyone think of another reason for the difference in sound quality? I suppose I should address this question to the Hoffman forum or Michael Cuscuna who is intimately familiar with the Blue Note vaults.

Or, you could just enjoy the music.

Thanks Lon, it sounds like Sam Jones.

The SACD notes make no mention of Jones or another session date, but the booklet says, "Blue Mitchell performs by courtesy of Riverside Records, Paul Chambers by courtesy of Vee-Jay Records," which is obviously wrong.

Thanks Lon, it sounds like Sam Jones.

The SACD notes make no mention of Jones or another session date, but the booklet says, "Blue Mitchell performs by courtesy of Riverside Records, Paul Chambers by courtesy of Vee-Jay Records," which is obviously wrong.

Paul Chambers recorded for Vee-Jay in the late 1950s and early 1960s; Hootin' 'n Tootin' was recorded in 1962 and Chambers might still have been under contract with Vee-Jay at the time.

Not sure. Could one possibility be that the original album tracks come from a Lp production master dub tape. And bonus tracks come from the original source reel?

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the forthcoming Jackie Mclean New Soil hybrid SACD will contain the bonus track "Formidable."

I have it and it does.

Thanks. A sonic improvement over previous versions? One of my favorite McLeans.

(I forgot about Elusive Discs. Thanks, Hans.)

I'm still waiting for importCDs to carry this title. :rhappy:

I wonder if the forthcoming Jackie Mclean New Soil hybrid SACD will contain the bonus track "Formidable."

I have it and it does.

Thanks. A sonic improvement over previous versions? One of my favorite McLeans.

(I forgot about Elusive Discs. Thanks, Hans.)

I'm still waiting for importCDs to carry this title. :rhappy:

You're welcome, Late.

Haven't heard New Soil yet, but to my ears the CD layers (don't have an SACD player) of the AP/Blue Note hybrids I had didn't sound better than the BN Works versions (without bonus tracks) I have. They did sound a bit better to me than the McMaster versions (with bonus tracks) I also have, but if that's enough to justify the hybrids' much higher price...

Edited by J.A.W.

Haven't heard New Soil yet, but to my ears the CD layers (don't have an SACD player) of the AP/Blue Note hybrids I had didn't sound better than the BN Works versions (without bonus tracks) I have.

That's what I kind of figured. I only have a CDR of the TOCJ, and so I'll probably end up purchasing the AP edition when it shows up on importCDs. (Goodness knows I can surely wait to purchase another CD.) The track "Formidable" isn't hugely important, but it's decent enough. It's the first track (to me) that's great. Too bad the entry on that track (just the first few seconds) has always sounded (sonically) botched. I wonder what happened to the tape there, and if that same glitch (drop-out?) is on the LP. (Do you guys know what I'm talking about?)

I also dig that Pete LaRoca is credited with a "free" drum solo on this LP. (Five years before Sunny Murray!) :rfr:crazy::rolleyes: All said, it really is a fine solo.