Bud Powell 'L'Exil Intérieur'

brownie

Thanks for the notice!

Some additional footage from the Montmartre I hadn't seen. Nice to see Rene Urtreger. Wonder why Pierre Michelot wasn't interviewed. Would have been considerably more valuable than LdW. Despite a few mistitled tunes and the slightly out of sync video, a worthwhile addition to Bud on video. Who was Margaret Johnson?

Who was Margaret Johnson?

Margaret Johnson was a Kansas City pianist who was a close friend of Lester Young.

She was leading her own band when she was 15. She also replaced Count Basie when he went to Chicago, also Mary Lou Williams when she was away from Andy Kirk's orchestra. Margaret Johnson died in 1939 at age 20.

According to Gene Ramey, she played like Bud Powell back in 1936!

Who was Margaret Johnson?

Margaret Johnson was a Kansas City pianist who was a close friend of Lester Young.

She was leading her own band when she was 15. She also replaced Count Basie when he went to Chicago, also Mary Lou Williams when she was away from Andy Kirk's orchestra. Margaret Johnson died in 1939 at age 20.

According to Gene Ramey, she played like Bud Powell back in 1936!

No - I'm talking about the blond woman in the video who seemed to have befriended Bud in France.

No - I'm talking about the blond woman in the video who seemed to have befriended Bud in France.

Apologies!

Margareta? She and Bud met in New York in 1964. She was working at Atlantic Records.

They fell in love. She brought some happiness to him in his final months.

Apologies!

Margareta? She and Bud met in New York in 1964. She was working at Atlantic Records.

Very nice - couldn't catch the French too much, but some great Bud shots and fine music.

Q

Apologies!

Bud composed a tune for her "Margareta". I got a recording of it, done at Birdland in october 1964 shortly after he composed it when he spent a few days at Fire Island with some friends including Margarete.

The tune has on the A section the same chord changes like "I keep loving you", only the channel is more simple. It´s a medium tempo thing in E flat (while I keep loving you is in B flat).

I´m such a fan of Bud,in my leisure time I play all his tunes on piano and improvise on it. Since I can play only by ear (got big ears I think), when I first saw Bud´s handwritten music of the tune, I couldnt do nothing with it, but after hearing it once, it´s easy to play.

Bud wrote to other tunes during that short holiday: "Oh Boy" which is on Bud´s last album "Up´s n Downs", which I also play, and "Marshall´s Tower, which I saw (the music) but can´t play it since I don´t read music. The only thing I can say about it is that it seems to be also a B flat tune AABA.

Edited by Gheorghe

For what it's worth (a lot to me anyway), found this in a box today:

BudandFrancis0005.jpg

That´s a wonderful foto and it´s great you knew Francis Paudras. How much would I have liked to get to know this man. I often listen to the recordings he made of Bud at home (in France) and at Birdland. That´s where I head that tune "Margarete" I mentioned. Also got one of the first editions of his book "Dance of the Infidels" in one of the first french versions in 1986 when it came out, and years before "To Bird with Love" which he published together with Chan Parker.

You are the piano player who worked often with Johnny Griffin, right? Johnny Griffin was the very first musician I saw live in a club, and ironically also one of the last, shortly before he died.

BudandFrancis0005.jpg

That´s a wonderful foto and it´s great you knew Francis Paudras. How much would I have liked to get to know this man. I often listen to the recordings he made of Bud at home (in France) and at Birdland. That´s where I head that tune "Margarete" I mentioned. Also got one of the first editions of his book "Dance of the Infidels" in one of the first french versions in 1986 when it came out, and years before "To Bird with Love" which he published together with Chan Parker.

You are the piano player who worked often with Johnny Griffin, right? Johnny Griffin was the very first musician I saw live in a club, and ironically also one of the last, shortly before he died.

Great to see this unpublished photograph of Bud Powell and Francis Paudras. I do not particularl like Powell, but I remember the very moving story Francis Paudras wrote in the french magazine Jazz Hot in the sixties (?), explaining his concern about Bud Powell and the efforts he made to bring him back in the frontline : I think Francis really saved his life. Thanks for the link to the video, although it won't change my mind about the pianist performances.<_<

BudandFrancis0005.jpg

Michael's also in the booklet for THE COMPLETE BUD POWELL ON VERVE--he and Barry Harris provided commentary on many of the recordings in the set.