Cecil Taylor Museum House

Lazaro Vega

I totally dig Cecil but something about this effort just does not sit right with me (the huge sums requested for donations and ticket prices might be part of it huh.gif ].

Even granting the best of intentions, the effort seems hopelessly naive in terms of what it takes to establish, curate, and maintain a museum. Can be done, but this effort seems to fall well short of that in the reality department. Some of the names on the organizing list do not reassure me either.

Why not incorporate Cecil's memorabilia and artifacts in an existing museum? Cecil's physical place just does not seem central to his role in modern music; if anything, he seems more an international figure than one grounded in a local tradition.

I totally dig Cecil but something about this effort just does not sit right with me (the huge sums requested for donations and ticket prices might be part of it huh.gif ].

Even granting the best of intentions, the effort seems hopelessly naive in terms of what it takes to establish, curate, and maintain a museum. Can be done, but this effort seems to fall well short of that in the reality department. Some of the names on the organizing list do not reassure me either.

Why not incorporate Cecil's memorabilia and artifacts in an existing museum? Cecil's physical place just does not seem central to his role in modern music; if anything, he seems more an international figure than one grounded in a local tradition.

Cecil has always been a New Yorker, even if New York hasn't always embraced his artistry.

Cecil has always been a New Yorker, even if New York hasn't always embraced his artistry.

Good point. There is a lot more of the New Yorker in Cecil (and his music) than is usually realized. One can see this most clearly in his great albums of the late 50s and early 60s. Subsequently, though, it seems to me that his involvement or interaction with the New York scene was fitful and not very definite in later decades. He may have been in New York, but not of New York. Anyway, as a New Yorker myself, I'm not trying to deny Cecil his birthright. My point is that this apartment cum museum in no way defines Cecil and was never a locus of Cecil's art, in the same way, for example, as Gil Evans' basement pad was for Gil, or, to take a non-musical example, Robert Frost's New Hampshire home was the essence of his poetic sensibility. Cecil's art is in his music, not his artifacts. Nevertheless, I hope they find a good home. The current scheme leaves me with too many questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Several of the benefactors requested smooth jazz for the VIP reception.

Actually, one of the benefactors was overheard saying that Cecil "played too many notes." And wanted Cecil to "take some notes out." When Cecil declined, the benefit was cancelled. Attempts to substitute Hiromi also failed. ph34r.gif