Taking a break from painting....

A personal note, especially for those who have been on this board from the beginning. For the past twenty years I have worked hard on my paintings; it has allowed me to stay creative. But I could never maintain a satisfying balance between that and having a nine to five job. And then life happens -- I bought my own place, years later get married, and moved out to the 'burbs. Commuting has killed any spare time during the day to squeeze in an hour or two of painting, and I have grown tired of reworking a canvas for months on end. So rather than beating my head against the wall in frustration, I have decided to put the brushes a side for the moment. I was looking at a book of photographs by Gerhard Richter, a prominent German painter and an artist I admire -- surprisingly a decent photographer! He said he could take 1000 pictures and be lucky to have one that would become a painting, but the process of looking was what was important. So I decided that this could work for me as well. I did get a Voigtlander (a Bessa L with a 25mm wide angle lens), and several others to experiment and started shooting. I have done this all summer and have found it liberating. For the first time in a long while, I feel good about what I am doing. I'm no camera genius, but it feels good to actively think about light and dark, color and composition again. I want to share these with you, and here is the link:

http://www.adoramapix.com/kinggab/

Click the "Photo Books" tab and 4 books will come up.

Edited by Stefan Wood

I can definitely relate, Stefan.

In terms of creating, I have a burning desire to write, but like you, I have a full-time job. I keep files of various writings of this and that, but don't have the time to balance my job with giving my writing the focus it deserves. Photography helped me keep my creative side alive for a time, but when everything went digital my pocketbook couldn't handle the expense of it all. Maybe when I retire in four years I can finally get serious about my writing. Until then, I must live vicariously through my son's musical talent and composing abilities.

I think it goes without saying that I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Added a new book, the second from my honeymoon in China. This is a sampling of the insanity that is Shanghai, during the World Expo. It was here I learned to push young kids and knee old ladies aside and get public approval for this. White Ghost has learned the proper social etiquette! Not a great city (looks like it was put together by someone using Sim City) but the old international quarter on the river is stunning.

Shanghai