Jimi Hendrix Winterland

BFrank

I'm sure this is a must-have. The Winterland tracks that were released in the 80s (2 LPs, then CD) were some of my favorite of his live recordings.

I just noticed that Amazon is releasing a limited edition 5 CD set with the additional disk consisting of an amateur reel-to-reel recording from a February 4, 1968 Winterland show. Anyone (Lon?) heard this stuff before?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this Wednesday. Excellent sound. There's been editing done to some tracks, and they did remove most of the chaff from what could be six cds to make four. . . that upsets some people but not me.

The extra disc is most of a Dagger Records release and is very nice. (There's a bit more on the Dagger release itself). Sound is decent, some nice performances.

A new version of In the West is out, without the tracks from Royal Albert Hall, and with other tracks from San Diego in their place and as expanded material. It really doesn't work as In the West, but that said, it's a kick ass release, killer sound.

Is this the one that has one track with Jack Casady? Which track is it?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

That's pretty easy to determine with an internet search.

Here you go: http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Jimi-Hendrix-Experience%3Cbr-/%3EWinterland-(4-x-CD-Set)&nReviewID=7408

I got it yesterday and I'm cracking it open this weekend. There's a lengthy discussion on the Hoffman board that is quite detailed as one would expect.

That discussion is really marred by one member who goes on and on about how the six cd version by "the Jeffry Estate" isn't a bootleg and how terrible it is for Experience Hendrix to not release the whole thing, to leave off one particular performance, to edit performances, and just plain hates the Experience Hendrix releases in general. Some of these posts have been deleted.

I received this Wednesday. Excellent sound. There's been editing done to some tracks, and they did remove most of the chaff from what could be six cds to make four. . . that upsets some people but not me.

Nor me! I would love to see the flute-lowering plug-in used on other music from this era. :lol: (There is a track where a guest flutist appeared and compared to the lesser quality sounding boots it's softer. This is an improvement!) About 10 minutes of drum solo was snipped out of version of "Tax Free" as well. There are other snips.

I've owned the complete set for a long time but didn't play it much compared to other live Jimi. His shows were often marred by technical problems which sometimes disrupted the flow. While I've only played disc 1 thus far I have high hopes that the editing will improve the listening experience, and the sound quality (as with the past releases that Kramer was involved with) is great. I used to orthodox about preserving "reality" but now I'm more into having something be more enjoyable, and I think this will do it.

Sounds great! I was definitely planning to pick this up, but the Amazon 'extra disk version' threw me off. Seems to be the same price, anyway.

Thanks for heads up on "In the West," Lon. I saw that it was being released, but didn't really look into how it was different from the original. Looks like it's worth getting, too. I only have the LP, anyway.

Unfortunately, the link above does not seem to work.

Jack Casady's website seems to imply that he is on track 1, disc 5 ('Killing Floor'). When you guys receive this set, can you confirm that this is the one and only track he is on?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Actually, I think what I posted above is not correct. Lon's link and the blurb from Casady's site (which I think are the same thing) only mention the 4-CD set. I missed this whole thing about 5 CDs earlier. So I think it's the version of this tune from the 4-CD set.

So we know Jack plays on 'Killing Floor'. Is it the version from Winterland on 10/10/68 (disc one, track 5 7:55) or the version from the Fillmore on 2/4/68 (disc five, track 1 4:05) which is only available through Amazon?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Actually, I think what I posted above is not correct. Lon's link and the blurb from Casady's site (which I think are the same thing) only mention the 4-CD set. I missed this whole thing about 5 CDs earlier. So I think it's the version of this tune from the 4-CD set.

So we know Jack plays on 'Killing Floor'. Is it the version from Winterland on 10/10/68 (disc one, track 5 7:55) or the version from the Fillmore on 2/4/68 (disc five, track 1 4:05) which is only available through Amazon?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

It is not on the bonus disc from amazon, which is a condensation of a Dagger Records release that has been out for some time.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Is Jack Casady such a great musician that you feel the need to track down every little snippet of his discography?

Jack Casady IS a great musician. I am not a fanatical collector of his work, but I am a fan.

Bertrand, he also played on "Hey Joe" at Winterland, but it's not included in this set.

I am NOT a fan. Boutique, hippy generation music aside, Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna have always annoyed the hell out of me. Too "of its time" and AMERICAN for my tastes.

Okay. I'd invite you to listen a bit more closely, but I know you, and your mind is made up. But you seem to imply there's something wrong with collecting Casady's work, which is . . . annoying. :)

My mind may be made up, but not for the reasons that you think. I've listened less closely to greater artists that I'd like to listen more closely to, simply because of lack of time and waning energy :)

Just was taking the opportunity to needle the resident drama king for his latest bout with obsessive-compulsiveness :)

Well, you seem to be obsessively compelled to needle! Why is that necessary?

Anyway, you once didn't like Jimi and now you do. All I'm saying is there may be something there to the Airplane material that you haven't discovered that you may enjoy. But I understand time management. My opinion is that Casady is the best musician in the Airplane, though I believe Balin is also a very powerful musician and an influence on the SF scene.

Too bad we don't have a lot more examples of Casady and Hendrix together. If Casady had held down the bass chair instead of Redding. . . wow. Billy Cox is still my favorite bassist for Jimi, and the funkier side hw helped enable through his history and almost telepathy with Jimi is my favorite of the music, but if Casady had held that bass chair at the beginning there would have been some really interesting material.

Edited by jazzbo

Too bad we don't have a lot more examples of Casady and Hendrix together. If Casady had held down the bass chair instead of Redding. . . wow. Billy Cox is still my favorite bassist for Jimi, and the funkier side hw helped enable through his history and almost telepathy with Jimi is my favorite of the music, but if Casady had held that bass chair at the beginning there would have been some really interesting material.

Interesting. What if Jack Bruce and Tony Williams recorded with Hendrix a lot?

Jack Bruce. . . I don't know, I love his singing more than playing, don't think he would have advanced the music much,but it would have been interesting. If Tony and Jimi had played together a lot. . . well Jimi might not have gone the funk route, and fusion would have been different. That might have changed the 'seventies somewhat. Interesting to think about.

Edited by jazzbo