Jimi Hendrix Winterland

BFrank

I listened to some of the bootleg "complete" material of Winterland yesterday. It showed how excellent the sonics of this set are in comparison. Also, Virgil Gonsalez's flute is pretty under-recorded there as well, so I don't think it's just a matter of "mixing." I do wish they hadn't edited a few of the performances, but they did, and as this set is so great-sounding I'll not be visiting the bootleg very often.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This box is going to be a fun listen.

As far as the Airplane - one of my Top 5 favorite 60s bands. They may be "of a time", but a lot of music is - from ALL genres. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable to listen to. The band as a whole (during their peak, pre-Bark years) was more talented than any of the individuals, IMO. Each musician played a crucial part in the overall sound.

I love listening to Jimi stretch out on stuff like "Tax Free."

Little moments from Jefferson Airplane grab me every time, such as the guitar in "Today" and "Embryonic Journey." I'm a sucker for the latter sort of brief but beautiful acoustic interludes.

Lon,

Thanks for the info. For the same kind of time management reasons you alluded to, I decided not to get this set, but I am curious about the track with Jack Casady, so I will get that one as a download. Is the 'Hey Joe' from a different night than the three nights in the box? How much more Winterland material is there?

As for the Airplane, there have been some recent 'official' releases of live performances, my favorite of which is the one from the Matrix. The instrumental version of 'Ice Cream Phoenix' is fast becoming one of my favorite Airplane tracks.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Bertrand, Hey Joe was recorded the same night and same set (October 10, second set) as Killin' Floor; I believe it was performed before Killin' Floor.

I don't blame you, I'm a Hendrix completist, but there's far more essential Hendrix, and only one track here with Casady. This new box set is missing about two hours of material, mostly yet another version of the same songs, minutes of tuning up, a drum solo or two.

They set the box set up in an interesting manner: each of the first three discs has a selection of one of the three nights' work, selected from both sets. The fourth disc has more songs selected from each night, and an interesting interview from another date.

As for the Airplane, there have been some recent 'official' releases of live performances, my favorite of which is the one from the Matrix. The instrumental version of 'Ice Cream Phoenix' is fast becoming one of my favorite Airplane tracks.

As an aside, DeepDiscount.com currently has that disc and the other three live Airplane releases by Collectors' Choice Music for ridiculously low prices - between $2-3 per disc. Just search for "Jefferson Airplane" and you'll see them. Apparently they are blowing out these and a bunch of other CCM releases that have been discontinued in the wake of wholesaler Super D's acquisition of Infinity Resources (parent company of both DeepDiscount and CCM).

I picked up all four for $14 and change shipped, only remembering after the fact that free shipping is offered on all orders of $15 or more.

Edited by Dave Garrett

As an aside, DeepDiscount.com currently has that disc and the other three live Airplane releases by Collectors' Choice Music for ridiculously low prices - between $2-3 per disc. Just search for "Jefferson Airplane" and you'll see them. Apparently they are blowing out these and a bunch of other CCM releases that have been discontinued in the wake of wholesaler Super D's acquisition of Infinity Resources (parent company of both DeepDiscount and CCM).

I picked up all four for $14 and change shipped, only remembering after the fact that free shipping is offered on all orders of $15 or more.

Whoa.........thanks for the heads up on that! Got Signe's Farewell, Grace's Debut and Return to the Matrix for $11.06. Nice!

I preordered the Winterland set from Amazon and I came out on the short end of the deal. I preordered at $40.99, they shipped it, and now the price is around $35.00!!!! I went back to Amazon on this, looking for a refund of the difference and so far they refuse. So what's the advantage to preordering other than making sure you get the product?

I preordered the Winterland set from Amazon and I came out on the short end of the deal. I preordered at $40.99, they shipped it, and now the price is around $35.00!!!! I went back to Amazon on this, looking for a refund of the difference and so far they refuse. So what's the advantage to preordering other than making sure you get the product?

It's mostly to lock into a their best pre-release price. There's no telling what can happen afterwards. Scanning through my database I can see examples on both ends. One box set is 15% higher one year later. Another is the same 1/2 a year later, and yes, another 10% cheaper. There are certain things like the James Brown Singles series where to beat or tie the pre-order price it took a lot scrambling & patience. I speak as a scrambler. :) I'm fairly certain there are some classical hi-res EU releases that were terrific pre-order deals too given that these sort of releases tend to be limited (in distribution, not in mastering.) ;)

I remember getting some of Miles' metal spine boxes for VERY reasonable pre-release prices that I never saw again afterwards.

Paid a lot more for the two I got :) I think I'll get the other two.

What's the Long John Silver they have for $9.79? Is it a boot?

Bertrand.

I don't know about that, but I DO know that it's one of their worst albums.

I'm not sure really why I ordered this as I'm hardly a Hendrix completist having only single "best of " CD of his. Perhaps this 4cd set is too much of a good thing but it's very nicely done in great sound and some really cracking versions of my favourites such as Hey Joe , Purple Haze etc .

• 3 weeks later...

I knew you would dig it Brooks. My biggest complaint is . . . I'd have preferred little to no editing, and that's not what we got.

Fair enough, but I think this is some of Jimi's strongest live recordings. Everything seems to be clicking for the band. So I'm happy to have as much as we have.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...