INGO Records

Leeway

I ran across some records on the INGO label, which according to a note on the Discogs site, was "an Italian bootleg label issuing rare jazz broadcasts."

Here is a link to the label discography: INGO list at Discogs

Does anyone have any INGO titles in their collection?

I'd like to know the quality and integrity of the performances (i.e., are these hacked up, or cobbled together recordings or integral performances?)

Also, what is the audio quality on these records?

Anything else about the operation of this label if you know. Many thanks.

Ingo was one of several bootleg labels that popped up in Italy in the 80s.

I still have a couple of them (including the Cecil Taylor LP from the Golden Circle).

Most of the albums (Mingus, Coltrane...) have been available in more complete CD releases from Spain. The CT remains unreissued.

Undistinguished cover and sound!

brownie, what's that CT - this one here?

The Golden Circle, Stockholm, October, 1962

Spontaneous Improvisation 14:35

Flamingo (Gruoya-Anderson) 14:15

Cecil Taylor: piano; Jimmy Lyons: alto sax; Sunny Murray: drums; Kurt Lindgren: bass

The Early Unit 1962 Ingo (Italy) Sixteen (lp)

(Entry #11 here)

Don't think I've ever heard it, but looks great!

Here's a cover (for a Mingus boot), think they all look similar:

EJN81629.jpg

link in case it won't show: EJN81629.jpg

Hi, thanks for the replies. I was busy at work, then went to Baltimore for the High Zero Festival. Anyway, I ended up picking up: "Thelonius Monk Quartet, 1961 European Tour, Vol. 1" Mostly out of curiosity really.

The quartet is Monk, Rouse, Dunlop, and Ore (if the album credits can be relied upon). The recording is supposed to be Bern, May 10, 1961. I don't know if this performance (again, if date/location is accurate) has been issued elsewhere. Anyone know?

I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. The cover is like the one King Ubu posted except the cover color is blue.

I would like to find the "Love Supreme Live" INGO LP, as well as the Cecil.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I was busy at work, then went to Baltimore for the High Zero Festival. Anyway, I ended up picking up: "Thelonius Monk Quartet, 1961 European Tour, Vol. 1" Mostly out of curiosity really.

The quartet is Monk, Rouse, Dunlop, and Ore (if the album credits can be relied upon). The recording is supposed to be Bern, May 10, 1961. I don't know if this performance (again, if date/location is accurate) has been issued elsewhere. Anyone know?

I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. The cover is like the one King Ubu posted except the cover color is blue.

I would like to find the "Love Supreme Live" INGO LP, as well as the Cecil.

The Bern Monk was out on cd on the Magnetic label. Sound is not good.

Those 70s/80s Italian bootleg labels were usually pretty bad vinyl/pressings as well.

Completely agree. And not only the bootlegs. Some of the Horos were awful.

Yeah, Horos are often laughable, on the BYG trip or even worse!

I have a few Ingos including the Cecil; I don't listen to them much but they're interesting to have around. The sound isn't great but the pressings appear to be okay.

The Love Supreme Live is presumably the same recording that was issued on the France's Concert label and more recently in the expanded Impulse reissue of A Love Supreme.

Thanks. It probably is the same performance, although INGO of course provides only the sketchiest details (operating in that manner requires, let us say, a certain amount of reticence dirol.gif

Am listening to the Monk LP now. Not as bad as I feared. Some drop-outs, some (OK a bit more than some in spots) distortion, but otherwise decent enough. BTW, it's a good performance.

The Love Supreme Live is presumably the same recording that was issued on the France's Concert label and more recently in the expanded Impulse reissue of A Love Supreme.

Thanks. It probably is the same performance, although INGO of course provides only the sketchiest details (operating in that manner requires, let us say, a certain amount of reticence dirol.gif

Just trust the folks here... and the research done by all the Trane experts. There's just ONE full live version of "A Love Supreme" and it's from Antibes/Juan-les-Pins and included in pretty good sound on the 2CD reissue of "A Love Supreme" (which is an essential reissue anyway, if only for the studio outtakes!)