Stan Getz

sal

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another favorite Stan Getz album of mine is "The Peacocks", from the late 1970s, with Jimmy Rowles on piano. This album contains some very beautiful, lyrical Getz soloing. I like the vocals on the album!

Forgot about The Peacocks as well. Jimmy's vocals are WONDERFUL! Plus, with Buster Williams and Elvin Jones... can't go wrong... in my book!

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but a semi-forgotten gem is "The Soft Swing" from 1957, with Mose Allison, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Segal. Some of the most rhythmically relaxed. melodicaljy fluid Getz I've heard. I still have my old LP, but a smallish triangle-shaped chunk fell off a while back, which renders the first half of the first track on each side unplayable. It's been reissued in Japan, but the last time I checked it cost a pretty penny -- maybe $40. May have to spring for it before it's too late.

Just checked the Verve site for it. It's listed, but the demo tracks are all Billie Holiday. (I'm not complaining... could have been Mr. G! :w ) J-U-S-T K-I-D-D-I-N-G! (Don't think he's on Verve!)

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/rele...61&aid=2856

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but a semi-forgotten gem is "The Soft Swing" from 1957, with Mose Allison, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Segal. Some of the most rhythmically relaxed. melodicaljy fluid Getz I've heard. I still have my old LP, but a smallish triangle-shaped chunk fell off a while back, which renders the first half of the first track on each side unplayable. It's been reissued in Japan, but the last time I checked it cost a pretty penny -- maybe $40. May have to spring for it before it's too late.

Just checked the Verve site for it. It's listed, but the demo tracks are all Billie Holiday. (I'm not complaining... could have been Mr. G! :w ) J-U-S-T K-I-D-D-I-N-G! (Don't think he's on Verve!)

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/rele...61&aid=2856

The Amazon samples: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...amp;x=0&y=0

Also:I haven't lost any chunks yet, and the fluidity is intact!

Another favorite Stan Getz album of mine is "The Peacocks", from the late 1970s, with Jimmy Rowles on piano. This album contains some very beautiful, lyrical Getz soloing. I like the vocals on the album!

Forgot about The Peacocks as well. Jimmy's vocals are WONDERFUL! Plus, with Buster Williams and Elvin Jones... can't go wrong... in my book!

Rowles' vocals are not the only ones I like on the album!

One that I like that doesn't get mentioned much is the album with Bill Evans. The conventional jazz wisdom on this is that the session doesn't jell, and I know there's a story (probably several!) behind it, but I've always enjoyed it. The opener, with its stop-time chorus and strong drumming, is one of Getz's most exciting performances.

Edited by DMP

One that I like that doesn't get mentioned much is the album with Bill Evans. The conventional jazz wisdom on this is that the session doesn't jell, and I know there's a story (probably several!) behind it, but I've always enjoyed it. The opener, with its stop-time chorus and strong drumming, is one of Getz's most exciting performances.

Are you talking about this one;

410eVepBezL._SS500_.jpg

or this one?

946e828fd7a048ca6b9c3110.L.jpg

I only have the former, live in the mid 70's and it's very good.

This one seems to be fairly new and possibly not out on cd before, anyone know anything about it?

51uSMHaIG-L._SS500_.jpg

Here's the blurb from Amazon;

Product Description

During the first half of 1978, Stan Getz toured Europe with a sextet he co-led with trombonist Bob Brookmeyer. The other band members consisted of Andy Laverne on piano, Mike Richmond on bass, Jeff Brillingen on drums, and Efrain Toro on percussion. Afterwards, Getz would continue playing in Europe with different formations that sometimes featured a similar rhythm section to the one employed with Brookmeyer plus other guest musicians. This show features seven tracks including 'They Can't Take That Away From Me', 'Billie's Bounce' and 'I'll Remember April'. Gambit. 2009.

Product Description

During the first half of 1978, Stan Getz toured Europe with a sextet he co-led with trombonist Bob Brookmeyer. The other band members consisted of Andy Laverne on piano, Mike Richmond on bass, Jeff Brillingen on drums, and Efrain Toro on percussion. Afterwards, Getz would continue playing in Europe with different formations that sometimes featured a similar rhythm section to the one employed with Brookmeyer plus other guest musicians. This show features seven tracks including 'They Can't Take That Away From Me', 'Billie's Bounce' and 'I'll Remember April'. Gambit. 2009.

That should be Jeff Brillinger, right?

I've always liked this one more than the usual from this period:

getz%20at%20large.JPG

Gerry Teekens got my copy for mucho bucks. <_<

Never seen that one in LP form. Must be rare as hen's teeth.

Jeez, guys - all you have to do is walk down to the used record store on the other end of your block and lay down a ten spot for a mint copy. At least, that's what I did.

I'll admit that I was totally unfamiliar with this album and didn't know what to think when I saw it - there is no personnel listing or recording info on the cover. But I thought I remembered it mentioned here, so I came home and checked before going back to pick it up. It's really nice - recorded in Copenhagen in 1960 with a Danish rhythm section.

It's probably been mentioned more than once already, but I want to put in a word here for the Stan Getz With Cal Tjader album, on Fantasy. "Ginza Samba" is alone worth the price of admission.

Yes it's very good and if you have difficulty tracking down the single cd it's available on this fairly recently re-issued 2-fer.

This is the one I would love to get;

Nobody Else But Me

21426BSKZ3L._SL500_AA130_.jpg

It's probably been mentioned more than once already, but I want to put in a word here for the Stan Getz With Cal Tjader album, on Fantasy. "Ginza Samba" is alone worth the price of admission.

Yes it's very good and if you have difficulty tracking down the single cd it's available on this fairly recently re-issued 2-fer.

Nobody Else But Me

I've got that last one! And it's good! (I've got to warn you though that I don't have a Getz album that I dislike.)

Nobody Else But Me

I've got that last one! And it's good! (I've got to warn you though that I don't have a Getz album that I dislike.)

Oh I have no problem believing it's good, I have a few other live recordings by this particular group and I would love to get this one, the Amazon prices are a bit nuts, I know I'll get it somewhere in the end though.

• 4 weeks later...

Geez, a guy steps out of the room and all h*# breaks loose. I came back looking for the Stan Getz thread and its gone??

Found this photo........ Bev, you sure look like your Dad!!

Of course, I am sure you never hear that!

8a_7.JPG

I don't know what happened but we are glad you are here. Hope you stay around.

npr did a series of recorded live sets, JAZZ ALIVE, with some great jazz musicians in the early 80s.

one of the most memorable was a long duo set, or maybe two, with stan and elvin, which was recorded on the french riviera.

(..........if i could just find thosecassette tapes.

mosaic could do a fab box set with those few years of jazz alive tapes.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not to be overlooked is the little known mickey one soundtrack, arranged by eddie sauter, which was recorded very shortly after stan's fathers death. mixed in the wondrous kaleidescope of sounds, polka included, are moments of the most eloquent descriptions of despair and desolation that i have ever heard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Are you talking about this one;

410eVepBezL._SS500_.jpg

or this one?

946e828fd7a048ca6b9c3110.L.jpg

I only have the former, live in the mid 70's and it's very good.

This one seems to be fairly new and possibly not out on cd before, anyone know anything about it?

51uSMHaIG-L._SS500_.jpg

Product Description

shortly after that stan got a new recording deal with columbia and issued a 2fer recording with laverne and richman called 'another world'. on that recording he did at least one extended number with the echoplex, which i really loved, and which showed a promise of things to come, but they never came.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not to be forgotten is the 60's string recording (russ garcia) of lovely lovely readings of ballads, 'cool velvet.' it is still a special favorite with me.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• 1 year later...