Stan Getz

sal

I'd like to amend my list of favorites to include his posthumous release, Ballads and Bossas: The Lost Sessions. This has become my favorite of his last years.

There's also a nice Getz DVD out, The Last Recording.

yep, B&B should be on the list. another really nice one is Voyage. My copy is German and I'm not sure it was ever relased on cd in the US. Recorded when Stan was artist in residence at Stanford and in a good place in his life as his playing demonstrates.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the mommy

if it hasn't been mentioned, the getz jazz in paris is a good one (with burton/haynes/swallow).

a little light on music (short plus one song has a very long haynes solo and one song is burton solo) but what is there is very good with a "modern" group. from '63 i think. haynes sounds great.

if it hasn't been mentioned, the getz jazz in paris is a good one (with burton/haynes/swallow).

a little light on music (short plus one song has a very long haynes solo and one song is burton solo) but what is there is very good with a "modern" group. from '63 i think. haynes sounds great.

Yes, a short but very fine one!

getz_stange_jazzinpar_101b.jpg

Another DVD worth picking up is Vintage Getz recorded in Napa Valley in 1983 with Jim McNeely, Marc Johnson and Victor Lewis.

Don't know if these have been mentioned yet (too lazy to go back and scan the thread! :P )....

Recorded Fall 1961, a great session with Brookmeyer, Kuhn & Roy Haynes

The Dolphin and Spring Is Here (both Concord and both now available as a 2-CD set, My Old Flame) with Lou Levy, Monty Bugwig & Victor Lewis

Stan's 80th birthday is coming up (Feb 2nd), I shall be spinning a few of these :party:

A ton of the greatest Getz has already been mentioned. But I have to put in a word for these two. Beautiful, just beautiful. And deep.

c949189t04f.jpgc74352q3uh5.jpg

every note that came out of his horn was just beautiful.

in another recent thread, i mentioned 'mickey one', 'for musicians only' with stitt and gillespie, the hardest driving stan i have ever heard, stan with arthur fiedler and the bostons doing some poignant ballads, and 'cool velvet', some definitive versions of ballads with orchestra conducted by russ garcia.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Many folks may pass by a "cheapie" called "The Song Is You" issued on LRC, Laserlight, etc. This would be a mistake. It is one of those Sonny Lester jobs issued on a number of different labels. Quartet date from '69 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. Very fine playing by all concerned.

I see it is currently on Amazon for $.99 and up.

Many folks may pass by a "cheapie" called "The Song Is You" issued on LRC, Laserlight, etc. This would be a mistake. It is one of those Sonny Lester jobs issued on a number of different labels. Quartet date from '69 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. Very fine playing by all concerned.

I see it is currently on Amazon for $.99 and up.

thanks

Just out of curiosity, how much duplication is there between the the Proper Box, "The Sound" and the Complete Roost Recordings on Blue Note/Capitol?

Don't know about duplication Cliff but the Roost Sessions are indispensable in my opinion. 3 Cd's of heaven.

Just out of curiosity, how much duplication is there between the the Proper Box, "The Sound" and the Complete Roost Recordings on Blue Note/Capitol?

Don't know about duplication Cliff but the Roost Sessions are indispensable in my opinion. 3 Cd's of heaven.

Here's the discography of the Proper set. But I'd also recommend you get the "real" thing and buy the Roost box, it's probably the best Getz ever... the long live date with Jimmy Raney is incredible, and so are the early quartet sessions on disc 2. I don't like the sessions on disc 3 as much (with guitar, one is actually a Johnny Smith session, it has been reissued on the BN/Capitol disc "Moonlight in Vermont", too - that was the hit title back then).

B000004763.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

When I'm in the mood for a little Stan Getz, I go to this one a lot. It's one of the first ones that popped into my head when thinking about favorites.

This happens to be the first Getz album I bought, way back when. A good one. :tup

Compared to the Roost box, I always found this one a bit of a let-down... but then I got the Roost stuff first and love most of it a lot (see above...)

I should have made myself more clear, I actually have the 3 disc Complete Roost Sessions and I too would consider it essential.

I was curious to know what's on the Proper Box. From what I can tell it's all the Roost stuff without the alternate takes and some of the stuff from Europe circa ??????????. The first disc seems to have the very early Savoy recordings, if i'm guessing correctly.

I should have made myself more clear, I actually have the 3 disc Complete Roost Sessions and I too would consider it essential.

I was curious to know what's on the Proper Box. From what I can tell it's all the Roost stuff without the alternate takes and some of the stuff from Europe circa ??????????. The first disc seems to have the very early Savoy recordings, if i'm guessing correctly.

check that out here: http://www.propermusic.com/

there's also this here where you can compare: http://www.jazzdisco.org/getz/dis/c/ (not really that great, but good enough for this)

edit: direct link to the Getz box disco: http://www.propermusic.com/popups/PROPERBO...discography.htm

Edited by king ubu

Here's the discography of the Proper set. But I'd also recommend you get the "real" thing and buy the Roost box, it's probably the best Getz ever... the long live date with Jimmy Raney is incredible, and so are the early quartet sessions on disc 2. When I'm in the mood for a little Stan Getz, I go to this one a lot. It's one of the first ones that popped into my head when thinking about favorites.

I didn't want to oversell the Roost set, but frankly I agree with Ubu 100%---the Roost box is some of the best recorded Getz out there.