Coleman Hawkins was a m***** f*****

Chuck Nessa

Bought the Norman Granz bio and finally the Ruppli discographies for Clef/Norgran/Verve.

I love "hard copy" discographies and take the time to tick off the titles I have. Tonight I was marking off the Coleman Hawkins stuff while listening to some of them. Right now listening to the Newport cd set - one bad edit - but Hawk and Roy are in fine shape. As usual, Pete Brown plays solos to sit through.

FWIW, I may return with some bitches about the Granz book.

Bought the Norman Granz bio and finally the Ruppli discographies for Clef/Norgran/Verve.

I love "hard copy" discographies and take the time to tick off the titles I have. Tonight I was marking off the Coleman Hawkins stuff while listening to some of them. Right now listening to the Newport cd set - one bad edit - but Hawk and Roy are in fine shape. As usual, Pete Brown plays solos to sit through.

FWIW, I may return with some bitches about the Granz book.

Although Brown was an original stylist in his early years, he's in pretty rough shape on this set, and brings the whole thing down a bit. In one of (photographer) Burt Goldblatt's books, there's a picture of Burt's young daughter sitting on Pete Brown's lap. It's a priceless photo, and was probably taken the same day that the record was recorded.

I have a friend called Parker who named their boy Charlie, without having even heard of Bird (it's possible...) & when I pointed it out (before he was born) she noticed her due date was the date he died - which freaked her a little. I have suggested Knocky for the next one (I mean the name, not the means of conception)

I have a friend called Parker who named their boy Charlie, without having even heard of Bird (it's possible...) & when I pointed it out (before he was born) she noticed her due date was the date he died - which freaked her a little. I have suggested Knocky for the next one (I mean the name, not the means of conception)

I once taught a student called Clifford Brown and admit I went out of my way to find opportunities to address him by his full name. :unsure:

I once taught a student called Clifford Brown and admit I went out of my way to find opportunities to address him by his full name. :unsure:

Eddie Higgins had a chocolate Lab named Clifford Brown.

Geez...I loves me some Coleman Hawkins, and am always looking for a new issue.

Anybody want to pull my coat?

Not a "new" release, but one that's somewhat uncommon: Coleman Hawkins at the Golden Circle 1963 (Dragon).

Hawk is in fine form, sounding relaxed and comfortable (that may not always be a good thing, but it is in this case). He plays a wonderful 2 1/2 minute unaccompanied solo at the beginning of "If I Had You". The four tracks recorded on the first night of the date are some of my favorite Coleman Hawkins. Three tracks from 1950 and 1954 are added to the 1963 recordings.

You may already know this music, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Geez...I loves me some Coleman Hawkins, and am always looking for a new issue.

Anybody want to pull my coat?

Not a "new" release, but one that's somewhat uncommon: Coleman Hawkins at the Golden Circle 1963 (Dragon).

Hawk is in fine form, sounding relaxed and comfortable (that may not always be a good thing, but it is in this case). He plays a wonderful 2 1/2 minute unaccompanied solo at the beginning of "If I Had You". The four tracks recorded on the first night of the date are some of my favorite Coleman Hawkins. Three tracks from 1950 and 1954 are added to the 1963 recordings.

You may already know this music, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Thanks Paul, I didn't know about that one.

I hope this doesn´t get a little bit off topic:

Some of you met guys with names like „Charlie Parker“, „Clifford Brown“ etc.

When I was a teenager, some friend from a small austrian village told me about a man from his neighborhood, who looks exactly like Mingus.

I didn´t believe it, so he suggested we might go and „visit“ that man. His wife opened the door and said „oh you sure want to meet my husband. I tell you , I don´t know nothin´ bout those musicians and neither he does. But all the time some youngsters tell him he looks like some musician.“

She told us he would be at home later and we can come back to look at him“.

When he finanlly came home and we met him, I tell you, he really looked exactly like Mingus. But he was Austrian, with no etnic background from other continents.

He seemed to be quite amused by the fact that some youngsters came by just to look at him. Here he sat, heavy, Buddha-like, black shirt, the skin a little darker than usual for a „white“ man, a little yellowish, the same beard like Mingus, very black with a few silver in it, and even that beautiful kinky afro, that Mingus had during the 70´s . It really was astonishing.

Of course he didn´t really know who Mingus was, his only knowledge about Jazz was that it is that music from America and they had Louis Armstrong…. . But he seemed to be amused by the fact, that it happens all the time that people ask him in english if he was Charles Mingus. We showed him photos of Mingus and before we left he smiled and joked: „fellows, I got to think about that, really! I might learn an instrument, what you think, it´s hard to handle that bass fiddle?“ And his wife also smiled and said „really, do that, go on and become famous and bring some money home“.