Shorty Rogers-4 classic albums

mr jazz

My collection is woefully short on Shorty. I keep patiently waiting for Mosaic to do a set of the RCA sessions, which would probably be fairly huge. But the market is glutted with these ropey PD releases from Europe, so who knows if it will ever be viable.

Yeah, they're okay - but sound is an issue in some cases.

As for Shorty, get the JSP set covering his early years - the music is in many cases better than the latter, more formulaic RCA albums. The Mosaic covered the middle grounds there - some very good playing on it, too! Then there was "Where the Four Winds Blow", which I think followed the sessions included in the Mosaic. That one's amazing, too! Great Giuffre clarinet on many of those sessions!

Yeah, they're okay - but sound is an issue in some cases.

As for Shorty, get the JSP set covering his early years - the music is in many cases better than the latter, more formulaic RCA albums. The Mosaic covered the middle grounds there - some very good playing on it, too! Then there was "Where the Four Winds Blow", which I think followed the sessions included in the Mosaic. That one's amazing, too! Great Giuffre clarinet on many of those sessions!

I agree Flurin

I have the JSP Vol. 1 set & am very happy with it (wonder if a Vol. 2 will emerge)

Kicking myself for not getting the Mosaic set - it was still available when I first started purchasing Mosaics in the early 90's

based on disc 1 I'm pleased witrh this set. I already own "SR swings" (part of disc 2 of this set)on a bluebird release which sounds excellent. I also just ordered Shorty goes to Hollywood

Shorty Goes to Hollywood is a good set. Count me among those who much prefer the earlier Rogers Atlantic's to the later RCA's.